Siem Reap: first night

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

arriving around 8pm and hotel (FCC Cambodia) provides pick-up. Will have guide next day for Angkor, etc. what to do the first night/where to eat if we just want to "roam around"? Two women; one 17 and the other 47..safe enough? prefer local restaurants over hotels. 2nd night: where to see traditional dance? (are hotels the best bet for this?) thanks, once again. Jan
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 06:42 PM

we liked la noria restaurant just across the river from the grand hotel and we also liked the red piano which is in the center of town...did not do a dance performance although the angkor village hotel where we stayed had one...
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Bob, once again thank you. I apprecaite the time and effort you put into these postings. If you ever tire of the jewerly biz, I'm sure you'll do equally well in the travel biz. Have read "Red Piano" may times. Easy to find? any safety issues for two intrepid women in REP? best street shopping there? How/what did you give to beggars? Is bargaining the same MO as in Thailand? Have been swarmed by beggars all over India and did not give anything to them or else the same adorable children wou,d be at the next corner, and so on. Tipping in restaurants? Should I expect to be ripped off in restaurants? You are the one who k nows. thanks, Jan
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 07:16 AM

Janak, there are no particular safety issues for women in Siem Reap. Just be alert as you would be in any foreign city (or as we all shoulld be in our home towns!). There are snatch thieves active in PP and in VN cities, who will try to snatch your purse away as they ride by on a motorcycle. While I haven't heard of particular problems in Siem Reap, you should simple be aware of this.

Bargain as you would anyplace in Asia. I don't understand your question about being ripped off in restaurants - all I can say is that I can't imagine why you would be ripped off in restaurants.

I don't usually give to beggars, but I did give to the amputees (land mine victims) in town. I used the riel I got in change various places to give to beggars. At the temples, the children won't be begging, but will be asking you to buy things. Whether you buy is up to you.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Kathie; I found that, in New Dehli 20 years ago, the price on the restaurant bill often times differed from the prices listed on the menus from which we ordered. This wasn't in just one place, but several incl. at our hotel, The Imperial (which was wonderful). Seems that it is thought that Westerners 'don't care' and that MO was annoying.....and can add up. Once we figured this out,we got in the habit of asking to keep the menu with us and comparing costs when the bill arrived. And, when we asked that the bill be corrected, there was never, ever any question. Basically everything is negotiable in life, including printed menus. Jan
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Janak, thanks for the clarification. I've heard of that but have never run into it myself.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Hi Janak, I found that The Dead Fish tower was a great place to hit especially if your not sure of your surroundings yet. All the clients there will pour out great advice from guides to the menu. You can't miss Pub St. near the old market in the center of town its all foreign money at work but its fun and there are lots of shops to choose from with locally made clothes and gifts but don't buy till youve checked out the Old market first!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 01:01 PM

first of all i am not in the jewerly business except for paying for what my wife buys....refer to me as retired or is that retarded...

not to worry about safety in SR as kathie says...just be aware as in any place you visit...

the area around the red piano is the major shopping area....one additional area is the artisians school which is just outside the main center, plus they have a location out past the airport which is also worth a visit...i preferred it actually...

the downtown is sort of dusty and run down...i will warn you....i did not find it appealing at all...red piano is fun and the food is good....la noria had better food but only asian....not to worry about being ripped off....it is so cheap anyways...i tip as usual...10-20% even though others do not...
you do know to bring us dollars with you for most purchases??? its a pain but you should have $1, 5 and 10 bills if at all possible...i took loads of $1's.....keep that wad safe....i left it in the safe until i got there...
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 01:29 PM

Janak, I have been trying to access the FCC website for 2 days w/no luck. Have you contacted them recently?
Thanks..
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 07:04 PM

I agree, the prices for food are so cheap it was amazing. Check the Angkor Village to see what nights their show is playing. The 17 year old will enjoy the show as the cast are all teenagers, the costumes beautiful. The theater is very small and the acoustics great. We saw a similar show in a huge place but not the same. I'd eat somewhere else though as dinner at the theater plus show was around $20. I think we may have paid $10 for the show. I liked it because it was more intimate.

About shopping; the old market had so much to chose from I was overwhelmed. Now I wish I had bought more long skirts $4 or $5 a piece, more cloth handbags $3 a piece, more fabric, etc. etc. We also bought at the Artisan School. That was pricey, but we knew it would benefit the local students learning a trade. Beautiful workmanship as well.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

FCC has not responded to me emails, either and I also wrote to the operations manager whose email address is: [email protected]. for some reeason, when I originally booked, web site said airport transfer was included, when res. was confirmed, it was not. I wrote back and she responed saying it was and to florward flight info. However, we decided a few dasy ago to stay at the Shinta Mani. How could one not after reading about its "community services" link (see web site) with "tabitha-cambodia"? I am now passing the hat a mong friends and work colleagues to help a family educate its daughters and raise some fo those cute piglets.