Search

Arriving in Siem Reap after dark

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arriving in Siem Reap after dark

Hi all,
Perhaps this is a silly question, but I see a lot about how dangerous Cambodia is after dark. Our flight from Bangkok arrives in Siem Reap at 8:15 PM. Obviously we'll go straight to our hotel, and then to bed - I assume there are reliable taxi options from the airport... do I need to be aware of any special risks? How long does it take to get from the airport to the town?

Thanks for your help. Again, sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks,Amy

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Don't worry at all. The first thing that will strike you about Siem Reap, the airport and the surrounding area is that it is much more modern and developed than you thought. No safety issues to worry about. It will probably be a fifteen minute ride to your hotel.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 12:46 PM

You are probably looking at a lot of outdated reports.

In general Cambodia is a safe place to travel but like all places one visits you should use common sense. There is crime like most places but it seldom affects the tourist whom are Cambodia's bread and butter.

Siem Reap is probably the safest place as it is geared to the vast tourist trade visiting the temples. The goverment officials certainly do not want any bad occurrences and try to make sure that nothing serious befalls the visitor. Anyway there are taxis from the airport or you could arrange for the hotel to pick you up which many do at no charge.

Since you plan to visit other places here is my observations of the major tourist places.

Phnom Penh: It is a relative safe city in the daytime but at night things can be different and visitors should be aware that armed theft of tourists can occur late at night. These are infrequent, isolated incidents and should not necessarily deter you from sampling the city’s restaurants and bars. Just get a taxi back to your hotel.

Battambang: No safety problems here.

Kampot/Kep: Nice laid back town that does not get many visitors. Very friendly people whom expect nothing in return for offering their help (no scams) and the kids just want to practice speaking english. No safety concerns.

Sihanoukville: This is the beach town which is fairly quite during the week but very busy on weekends/holidays with local from Phnom Penh. The only danger (more of an anoyance) here are the moto drivers that have the reputation of being the worst lot in the country when it comes to ripping off and bullying the tourists.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 02:15 PM

I have 2 friends leaving for Cambodia today. (12/15) I hooked them up with the driver I used 5 years ago, Thy.

Ponheary was booked. Hopefully I can persuade them to do a trip report for the board. I will be anxious to hear her feedback 5 years after my going.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying into Siem Reap after dark is an interesting experience. This from my trip report back in February:

The flight from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap took the better part of the day because we flew via Bangkok. We finally arrived around 7:30 – and the landing was among the eeriest I’ve ever experienced, not because there was a problem with the plane, but because there were NO LIGHTS on the ground almost until touchdown. I looked out the window when they asked the flight crew to prepare for landing – and it was pitch black. Then I began seeing pinpricks of light here and there – and realized there was either no electricity or virtually no people. It was a startling introduction to Cambodia.

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 02:40 PM

As you appear to have booked your hotel, I would assume the hotal will send a car to pick you up. If you have not arranged this, then do it. Saves a lot pof hassles if a driver holding up your name on a sign is there when you arrive.

Anyway, I found Siem Reap very safe. And you are hardly likely to be going off the beaten track and down dark alleys!

The river section of Siem Reap, especially near the Foreign Correspondents' Club, is quite delightful at night.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Although it's an emerging third would country, Cambodia is safer than probably any place in the United States. There are probably more private owned guns in one major american city than there are in the entire Cambodian country.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,
thanks for this very helpful information! I feel much better now.
-Amy
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM

We are leaving for Cambodia in a couple of weeks and a few people have made comments that made me worry a little about how unsafe things really are. But we won't be walking down any dark alleys in Phnom Penh at night and I am sure we wil be fine. I came looking for some posts that would reassure us and this really helped. I had mentioned to a number of people that there are many places in the U.S. and in Canada too where I wouldn't want to be wandering around after dark. Thanks all.