Recommendations for Dad in Phuket

Dec 20th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Recommendations for Dad in Phuket

So apparently we've started a new trend with our entire family now (which, coincidentally, makes me VERY happy.) My father has now decided to go to Thailand (to visit a friend of his who lives in Bangkok with his wife part-time) in February.

He plans to spend the first 7 days of his 3 week trip in Phuket, getting adjusted to the time difference while on the beach (not a bad plan, admittedly) before he heads up to Bangkok to meet his friend.

I'm looking to give him some hotel recommendations, but as we only passed through Phuket on our way to Phi Phi a year ago, I'm looking to you guys for advice.

He's in his early 60s, recently divorced, and taking this part of his trip alone (until he meets his friend in Bangkok.) He's always been the life of the party--and admittedly, I think my dad thinks he's a lot younger than he actually is. God bless him: he's way more of a social butterfly than I am.

Point is: I'd like to find him a place in Phuket that is close enough to the "scene" should he choose, but that's fairly removed from the tourist onslaught and fairly spectacular scenery-wise. I think he wants to be somewhere that's not inundated with families, so the possibilities for meeting new friends is always there.

This is his first trip to Thailand (and I'm really proud of him for going outside his comfort zone finally) so I think wherever I recommend should be a mix of local flavor and not completely Westernized, but makes him feel comfortable enough for his first trip out of the Western hemisphere.

I trust you guys immensely, so I'm looking forward to your recommendations.

FYI, I don't think cost is a huge issue. But anything $400+ a night would be a little crazy for anywhere in Thailand IMHO.
Dec 21st, 2007, 01:07 AM

FW-the thing about Phuket is the choice of beach. Some hotels are in the midst of Patong, the heavily touristed portion of Phuket, others are on isolated beaches, where one must take a taxi to get anywhere. The thing about the isolated beaches is that almost all of the guests are couples. A middle ground is a place in Karon or Kata beach. Most of the guests will still be couples, but your dad will be in a place that has some activity. Mom Tri's Boathouse, in Kata beach is very nice.
Dec 21st, 2007, 04:58 AM

Andy
You are one posting ahead of me! I was also going to suggest Mom Tri's Boathouse. Nice beach area, plenty of activity around, and probably with a more appropriate crowd than that wild and crazy (IMO) Patong Beach.

FW.. have a great trip with your family!

Carol
Dec 21st, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Andy + Carol, thanks for the reccos. Kata Beach is one that keeps coming up in my searches too.

Anyone heard anything about Kata Beach Resort? I had a friend stay there a few years ago and she said it was fantastic.

BTW, Carol, I wish I was joining my Dad on this trip! We just got back from 2 weeks with the in-laws in SEA. Only in my dreams would I get to go back to Phuket already. Oh, what a dream that is, though...

Keep the great ideas coming...
Dec 21st, 2007, 09:33 AM

FW

Sorry 'bout that. I do remember reading your report and enjoying it very much. Do you think I can claim jetlag/brain disfunction?? I'm just back from 2 weeks in Europe last week... lol

BTW, I've not stayed at Kata Beach Resort but it looks OK from the outside. Nice beach area as well.

Now, I HAVE stayed at the Kata Thani on Kata Noi Beach. It's a fantastic resort! But I think it might have more kids, plus this is a smaller beach area with not much right outside the door of the resort, so you'd have to taxi it to Kata. Other than that, Kata Thani is a place to which I would FOR SURE return (as well as Mom Tri's). I'm sure Kata Thani has a web site. It does have nice pools, beachside bars, etc. They have a kids program, which is why I mentioned kids. But your dad's travel time might not be that busy with kids??? But the fact that there isn't anything right outside the resort is maybe a problem?

I hope your dad has a wonderful time. I just may be in BKK in February, for about 10-12 days. I need to go on another buying trip!

Carol
Dec 21st, 2007, 10:50 AM

Malisa Villas might fit the bill. Kata Beach, and a decent hotel. Your Dad may feel quite comfortable here.
Dec 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM

I wouldn't recommend Patong for him. The beach and water there are great, but we thought it was way overrun with open prostitution. most of the bars are full of 17-yr girls on poles getting bought by 50yr old white men.
Dec 21st, 2007, 05:46 PM

Kata beach resort is absolute beachfront, many others are set well back from the beach, Sugar Palm and Centara are just a short walk to the beach, Sugar Palm is close to kata beach resort, that area is very very busy now. Kata beach resort does give absolute beachfront but he may find it mainly families, there are sufficient bars along the road that runs behind Club med, Kata center has lots of bars, Centara is mid range. le Meridien does give the qaulity plus their own beach and tuk-tuk into Patong if he wishes.
Do watch for location at Kata as many are up near Patak Road and that is too far to walk, well you 'could', but it can be quite a way.
Whether he wants beachfront or not makes a very big difference.
Does he want a large hotel/resort or perhaps smaller boutique style and is being right on the beach important.
Dec 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I should clarify: I think my Dad definitely wants to be beachfront (or as close to the beach as possible)...and scenery is important. I talked a lot about that crystal blue water and I may have set that bar high--so I'm sure he's expecting that.

He doesn't need to walk to the 'scene' but I'm sure he'd prefer it to be fairly reachable (via tuk tuk or whatever.)

As far as families--I don't think he's opposed to kids being around. It's more my concern, since he's traveling alone and I'd like the opportunity for him to meet folks. If it's a bunch of 20something couples or it's mostly families, I think the opportunity is less for that.

Mom Tri looks interesting so far (but maybe that's just my taste speaking) and Kata Beach is still up there as a possibility. I think he's actually more suited to "western" hotels--so I'll look into Le Meridien, but I'd hate to send him to a Club Med-like place...overwrought with camera clickers. Anyone have any experience with the JW Marriott?