Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Amari Coral Beach Resort / Andaman Cannacia Resort in Phuket

Apr 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stay at these hotels before? Any comments/suggestions are welcome. Also, how about the spa there (quality, environment, price)? Thanks.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:53 AM

Both different. I would forget the Andaman Cannacia at Kata simply because of the very steep hill you have to go up or down and then you still have a walk to the beach. Amari is in Patong but located across the bridge at the end of the south part of the beach, again up a hill. Down the side of it a small beach area. This may sound blunet but I see little going for either(I lived in Phuket for 3 years, spent a great deal of time there for over a decade).
If you want to be in Patong but away from the crowds the Baan Yin Dee Resort (same direction as Amari) is very nice indeed, but again, well away from the beach.
If you want to be in Patong about the only 'absolute beachfront' decent place is the Impiana Cabana right on Patong beach, but a very busy part of the beach, or Le Meridien at relax Bay which is on it's own beach just outside of Patong, it's mid-rise style but benefits of being in it's own cove and hence the beach is as private as you can get. For something quieter try the Kata Thani Beach Resort & Spa at Kata Beach. There 'is' a narrow road to cross but it's a nice resort and just been refurbished though I have not been inside since that was done.

Kata Beach ( area where Cannacia located ) and Patong Beach ( Amari ) are 2 very very different resort areas. Kata is quiet but restaurants etc available, Patong is a very 'heady' mix of being crowded, shopping, loud bars and what some might term 'outrageous' nightlife (eash to their own I will add ).

So the first thing you need to devide when thinking about Phuket is which beach area do you want to stay on. There are some great places such as the Chedi with is very romantic and relaxed, or places like the Sheraton Laguna or Dusit Laguna which are further up the coast and somewhat remote from the other resorts.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:57 AM

You can get a quick idea about the different beaches on this site and may help to quicky decide which beach will suit, you can also click through and see lots of photos of those places you mentioned plus those I suggested, plus, click on the reviews (top left once you get into the hotel listings and rates section) and you can get up to date reviews from people who have stayed, it's a simple and handy way to find out what is available

http://www.phuket.travelreporter.com

Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:25 AM

I just saw a report on a local Forum here which mentioned the Cannacia and the poster desribed it as more of a 'mountainside' than a hill, also the local tuk-tuks charge about $2.50 just to take you the 200m/yds up because no one wants to walk it.
Apr 6th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

I've heard about the location problem of Cannacia but haven't imagined that bad. Probably I will drop it from my list.

I went to Phuket few years ago and I think the center Patong is too crowd for me. So, I prefer Kata or at least off centre of Patong.

Any ideas of the spa at Le Meridien or Kata Thani?

Thanks again.