Search

Phuket Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phuket Hotel

My wife and I are traveling to Phuket over New Years this year, and we are in need of some advice on a hotel. This is our first trip to Phuket, so I am not familar with any of the areas/beaches. Basically, we are looking for a boutique-type hotel (not a large hotel) with a nice beach and close to other activities (restaurants, etc.). Our travel agent recommended the Chedi, but I have seen mixed reviews. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:41 AM

First deice on beach.
Popular ones include Patong which is the busiest, liveliest most crowded area, south of Patong is Karon which is nice, better still nect down is Kata, here you have some very nice places such as Mom Tri's who many have stayed and we all I think agree is very nice if you want a smaller place. Next beach down is nai harn, much quieter.

North from patong is Kamala, very nice but quieter, north from there is Surin where to Chedi is, a new place there the Manathai I have not visited yet but has good write-ups within Thailand, north again you have Laguna area.

I would say on a first trip Kata would suit, nice restaurants and some shops but easy access to patong if you want shopping/nightlife, street stalls etc, but quiet enough.

On a first trip Mom tri's would probably be ideal, but let us know your budget first, but if you were thinking Chedi them Momtris's could suit.
www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com has a very long list, sorted by beach, including Chedi, Manathai(not beach but small boutique ) and Mom Tri's, also look at Kata Thani, large but a lovely place. www.beachsiam.com/phuket.html also has sections for each beach to get a better idea of the different beaches. I lived several years on Phuket, my suggestion would be Kata as near to other beaches and easier to venture around than perhaps up at Surin, especialy on a first trip.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:31 AM

I agree with JamesA about Kata beach being a nice place. I've stayed at Mom Tri's Boathouse and would stay there again, no problem. It may already be pretty well booked up for the New Year holiday, so don't waste too much time.

I have also stayed at Kata Noi beach, which is just below Kata, and very nice. There is a lovely large resort there, the Kata Thani, where I stayed on my last trip to Phuket. I also would stay there again, no problem.

My most favorite place, real luxe, but probably fully booked, would be Mom Tri's Villa Royale, which is NOT on the Kata or Kata Noi beach. It is on a gorgeous rocky outcropping that overlooks Kata Noi. You can walk down a set of stairs to the beach.

Keep in mind that New Years is the most expensive time on Phuket. You will pay for a New Years Eve party at almost any of the better hotels. The parties are nice. We've been to the one at the Boathouse twice. The food at the Boathouse is exceptional.

Have a good time on your trip!

Carol
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Another quick question- Given this time of year, I imagine the beaches are bound to be quite crowded, right? If we are looking for some reasonable sense of quiet, would Kata be OK? If not, where else would you recommend? Thanks again!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM

We just returned from Phuket and stayed at the Manathai www.manathai.com - very close the the Chedi. I'd highly recommend it, we really enjoyed our stay there and it is right on the beach, which is lovely. A medium sized, lovely boutique hotel. That being said, there is not a lot around in Surin Beach - you're pretty much limited to the restaurants at the hotels (which are very nice) or taking a tuk-tuk or taxi to Patong, Bang Tao, Karon, etc. We didn't mind it, but it is something to consider.

If you do stay at Manathai, it is cheaper to book through asiarooms.com or similar. Have fun!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Have they completed the new tress around the pool area at the trisara when you were there? Would be great to know if they have finished?
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 03:10 AM

Stay at the Andaman White Beach in one of their beachfront villas. It is delightful with a private beach, super pool, fabulous food and not very big (25 rooms) www.andamanwhitebeach.com
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Lucyhda-

Have you stayed at the Andaman White Beach? I'll be there in 2 weeks-anything you can share about the hotel?
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Yeah, I'll be at Andaman White Beach in late April. Please share!