Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Please help mother/teen daughter pick Phuket hotel!

Old Dec 31st, 2005, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am planning on taking my 13 year old daughter to Thailand for spring break during mid April. We will stay in Bangkok for a couple of nights and then on the Phuket. I would like a nice hotel but not necessarily a 5 star resort. We really want a beautiful beach, great white sand, clear blue water and chairs with umbrellas for rent (she is a suntan nut and I burn badly). I would not mind staying in Patong but would also not mind staying a short distance away at another beach as long as transportation would be easy. She is a shopping nut and I know every night will consist of dinner and shopping. We also want to take a couple of day trips by boat. We want to see lots of other beaches and the bays. She definately wants to go to Monkey beach on Don Phi Phi (I think) and to Maya beach. Please help me choose a hotel, preferably right on the beach and tell me the pros and cons, location, transportation, proximity to places to hire a boat ect.

One other thing my daughter is a dancer and she would really like to see a great Thai dance show with the gorgeous Thai costumes. Any advice on a good Thai dance show?

Any and all advice will be appreciated for all my questions.

Thanks, April
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 04:49 PM

april---while in bkk you might take your daughter to the stage show at the oriental hotel...it is dinner and a dance show...it is located across the river in a specially designed building...if she likes dance it probably does not come any better than this...

the beaches are nice in phuket but not fabulous imo...

jamesA will undoubtably have good suggestions for you
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the dance show tip. We are actually planning on staying at the Oriental for 2 nights so that is perfect. Don't know if we will stay before or after Phuket but that will be perfect. What beaches in Thailand do you reccomend if not Phuket? The pics of Phuket beaches look so beautiful!
Thanks,April
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 07:12 PM

well i live near the beaches in new england so i am used to wide spacious and very sandy beaches so i am spoiled....i have not seen one single beach in thailand that i thought was FANTASTIC.....i think many of the areas are beautiful but as far as beach itself i haven't seen even at 70% one....i have not seen them all however and maybe only saw the bad ones...bad is not the right word...

i did think the beach at hua hin was the nicest i have seen, especially south from the area where the marriott is....in town they were not very nice...

i loved staying on bophut beach in samui, but we did not even go in the water....

the beach at the marriott on phuket was quite nice but the surf was so strong that you could not go into the water.... patong beach and others along that shore were generally narrow and only so so and were basically in the town....lots of touts and sales people...ugh...

i am not a pool person, but i love the pools in thailand...i like being at the pool, walking on the beach and back to the pool...

like i said at the beginning it depends on what you are used to...if you live in iowa then any beach would be fantastic to you...

so i am not really any help...others may offer other ideas...
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 08:25 AM

Donīt stay in Patong, Kata beach is way nicer, and a little local bus or a tuktuk takes you to Patong (or Phuket town), and it does not take long and costs next to nothing.

Kata Beach Resort is right on the beach, you can lie in sunbeds by the pool and with five steps you are on the beach.

I donīt know how well Phi Phi has recovered, two months ago it was still quite a mess.

There is a small boutique hotel (Boat House) next to Kata Beach Resort, and they have two excellent restaurants, and you can also take a cooking course there.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 03:27 PM

Hi April! You might check out this site: http://phuketdelight.com/
It has lots of information on Phukets "best beaches" and hotels. Also, I hear Phi Phi is definitely still worth visiting right now. Only the main town is still cleaning up from the tsunami. The beaches your daughter wants to visit should be just fine.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 08:39 PM

Kata beach resort or Karon beach resort I often recommened for absolute beachfront and value for money. These are about 3 star, Karon Beach resort is smaller of the 2 and has 'all seaview rooms' , there are day trips to Phi Phi, boats go from near Phuket Town on other side of island from kata or Karon. Various hotels and restaurants have some Thai dance but the best place is the Thainan restaurant near the junction at Lotos heading towards Phuket Town, there is also Phuket Fantasea and the Simon Show, you will find all these brochures hwen you arrive so you can browse thru, Thainan it is much better Thai dance than most places and the food is good too.
I think Karon Beach resort would be ideal as the pool is right on the beach but there is also shade and large areas to relax, a short walk up a fairly gentle hill for local shops etc.

Karon Beach Resort photos:
http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...beach/details/
Kata beach Resort photos:
http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...beach/details/

Thai New Year is mid April and rates can go up and it can be very busy.
You mights prefer some of the soft adventure or sea kayak trips around Phang Nga which are more nature orientated. The area of Phi Phi that was damaged was the area which had been heavily built up so it is somewhat more back to it's natural state.
www.phuketgazette.net is the local online paper and lots of links and information there.
Also twy www.beachsiam.com/phuket.html to see something of the different beaches.
It is well worth searching back through past posts for lots more info, I lived on Phuket for several years, if you go back through past posts you will find lots of recent ideas and suggestions.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

This is why I love Fodors so much!! You get so much personalized info so fast! Thanks you very much. I am checking out all your recommendations right now. I am sure I will have about one million and one more questions in the next 3 months.

Thanks again, April
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Hi April,

We stayed at the Marina Cottages also known as the The Marina Phuket Resort.
It is on Karon Beach beach a 7 minute bus ride to Patong. It is at the corner of the beach with shade provided by umbrellas as well as well as some natural shade if you stay toward the hill instead of right in the middle of the beach. The hotel is Thai owned and very nice. It has a wonderful pool as well as direct beach access. The ground are like a oasis in the middle of Phuket very natural. Do a google search for Marina Cottages in Phuket and you can see pictures of the resort. There are many resturants on the street it is located as well as a bus stop right at the hotel which will take you all over the island but very convenient for patong. We have visited Thailand every year for the past 5 years and this is one of our favorite hotels. We do not fancy the large 5 star hotels we can get in the states.
If you are going to make a trip over to Koh Phi Phi consider staying a night or two. It is a beautiful island and despartely needs the tourism dollar. We will be there is January and if you want a recommendation let me know. We have not been to Phi Phi there since the Tsunami so not sure which hotels I would recommend right now.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I'm sold on staying at least 1 or 2 nights on Phi Phi but I am concerned about the time involved in travel and whether there is enough to keep my daughter happy. Can you get reasonable day trips from Phi-Phi by boat just to sight see? I know they seem reasonably priced from Phuket. I would greatly appreciate any info on hotels open now because I would truly love to spend some time there but I would also love to spend some money there because I realize how badly the tourism money has gone down and is needed.

One other thing, my daughter has expressed interest in spending at least a day in some sort of clean up area or helping do something/anything from the tsunami. I realize it has been over a year but I know so much remains to be done. How would I find out about a way or place we could spend a day helping out?

Thanks so much for everyones info.
April
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:51 AM

You can take day trips to Phi Phi from Phuket. That is what we did. I was pleased with our daylong stay. I don't know if there would be enough to keep me busy on Phuket for more than one night. I like shopping!!

I would suggest that Patong NOT be your choice for staying on Phuket. You would really not be happy there, with your teenage daughter, in my opinion.

Katathani Resort on Kata Noi Beach is a wonderful place to stay. You will find a lovely beach there, and you are not far from Kata and Karon beaches where there is plenty for you to do.

Carol
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:50 PM

I highly recomend The Merlin Beach Resort
http://www.merlinphuket.com/merlinbeach/index.html

Phuket is seedy and I'd try to stay away from the town (especially Patong).

This resort is in Patong, but its not right in it. Its about a 5 minute drive from the centre of Patong and its very secluded.

The resort is about 70 Aussie dollars a night (thats about 45 US) and its top class.

You can check out reviews from here:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...el-Phuket.html

I'd also recommend spending a day or two in Phi Phi island BUT this is extremely important that you stay on the "quiet" side of the island. It is remote and very beautiful whereas the other side of the island is noisy and full of backpackers.

hope this helps

cheers
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 08:10 PM

Hi April,

You asked about volunteer work on Koh Phi Phi, There is a web site www.hiphiphi.com, that has extensive information on tourist volunteers on the island. There web site also gives the current hotels/bungalows open.
mary kay
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:00 AM

I have to disagree with nick-asia that "Phuket is seedy". Patong is seedy!! You can find many very lovely beaches elsewhere on the island that are perfect for vacation without being seedy. Kata and Kata Noi come to mind.
Carol
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:09 AM

Pating merlin is right in Patong, it's there across from the beach, it's a short stroll past the Holiday Inn and walking distance to street stalls restaurants and nightlife.
I think Kata / Karon would be nicer and also if you go for the Kata beach resort or Karon Beach resort you are right on the beach itself without having to cross a beach road and they are both very good value.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the info, I booked my air today and I am pretty positive I am going to stat at Katathani. I really appreciate everyones help.
April
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 05:36 AM

April
If you go to cjscollection.com and look on the left side of the home page, you'll see "Photo Gallery." Click on it, and you will see a page with 3 photo albums. Take a look at all 3 albums (they aren't large) and you will see photos of Kata Thani, along with a lot of other places.

Carol