Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Recomendation for massage and dinner in Bangkok

Old Sep 9th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at the Sheraton Orchid in Bangkok in October, 2018.

Our last trip to Bangkok (2007) we had a wonderful massage and dinner at Face. I think it may be closed now.

Is there another quality restaurant/massage place anyone would recommend? Or just massage or just restaurant?

Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 03:25 PM

The Royal Orchid has a lovely spa and every massage I've gotten there has been excellent.

What kind of restaurant are you looking for?
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 10:58 PM

Whenever in Bangkok my first stop is usually Wat Po Massage School. Not the one in the temple complex but the actual school on Sanamchai rd along side. Just get the river boat to Ta Tien pier from the Sheraton ( a nice trip in itself) and a short walk from there. Nothing plush just a no frills but excellent massage.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 07:13 AM

Note that the only kind of massage offered at the Wat Po massage school is traditional Thai Massage. This is vigorous, involving being stretched and positioned, painful perhaps, and if you have any kind of injury, you likely won't be able to tolerate it. The spas offer a variety of types of massage. If traditional Thai Massage is what you are looking for, it's hard to beat the Wat Po massage school.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 08:02 AM

As far as I know, Face is still open, but thereís a whole lot of really good food in Bangkok. I ate at Face twice, over a decade ago, which was fine, but there are so many really good restaurants aside from Face.

I was back in Bangkok in Dec 2018/Jan 2019 as Iíve been going there almost annually for 20 years, as of this year, and have watched the food scene evolve.

As for food, what kind of food are you looking for and what price range? Iím there for 3 weeks straight and eat out every day. Iíll throw out a few places.

For Italian food, it's Biscotti restaurant as far as I'm concerned https://www.biscottibangkok.com. I eat there a lot and it's right inside of the Anantara Siam Hotel (formerly Four Seasons Hotel), right at Rajadamri BTS station. I have eaten at other Italian restaurants, but Biscotti is my favorite one. Itís very popular.

I love to eat Thai food, but when in Thailand I mix up the types of foods that I eat as being from Los Angeles, where Thai restaurants have been around for decades, and having Thai friends who own Thai restaurants here, I eat Thai food a lot here at home. So, in Bangkok I don't only seek out Thai restaurants.

As for Thai restaurants, I like Basil inside of the Sheraton Grand Hotel https://www.basilbangkok.com/?scid=b...5-54ba596febe2, Spice Market Thai restaurant inside of the Anantara Siam Hotel https://www.anantara.com/en/siam-bangkok/restaurants as they have some good food in that hotel. I've stayed in that hotel structure since it was the Regents Hotel, the Four Season's Hotel, and as of Feb 2015, the Anantara Siam Hotel. I eat very well there.

Also as for Thai food, thereís Raan Jay Fai, Krua Apsorn http://www.kruaapsorn.com, Thip Samai THIPSAMAI, Thanying in Silom, which I have always liked, Thanying | Genuine Royal Thai Cuisine, Kalpapruek KALPAPRUEK as thereís one in Central World Mall, also one in a Thai house in Sukhumbvit, and also the original one in Silom that has outdoor seating, Paste Thai restaurant in Gaysorn Mall (Chitlom BTS or Rajadamri BTS) and then a short walk, https://www.pastebangkok.com, Baan Restaurant Bann Restaurant Bangkok | Thai Family Recipes, Nara Thai restaurant NARA Restaurant Group I go to the one in Emporium EM-Quartier mall, Eat Thai Food Court in Central Embassy Mall at Ploentchit BTS station CENTRAL EMBASSY | Eathai, and The Local Restaurant (walking distance from Terminal 21 Mall at Asoke BTS-make sure you have a reservation as itís booked solid)THE LOCAL by Oamthong Thai Cuisine .

For Indian food, thereís Punjab Grill Indian Restaurant in Sukhumvit, Bangkok | Gourmet Fine Dining. I didnít get to this one, but a Fodorite recommended it last year. The same Fodorite ate at Basil, as I had recommended it, and reported back that it was very good. I also ate at Basil again in Jan 2018 and still liked it. I first started eating there over a decade ago and also took their really nice, private cooking class which I think they still offer.

And then, there are the Japanese restaurants in Bangkok of which I can't remember which ones I have eaten at in the past, but there were some really good ones. Next up on my list, is looking for some Middle Eastern restaurants in Bangkok.

On the upcoming trip, I will try again to get to Punjab Grill. I wish that they served lunch, but itís only open for dinner. But, Iím staying my first 6 nights back at my regular serviced apartment building in Sukhumvit, so I can plan to go to Punjab Grill then before I transfer over to the Siam Anantara Hotel in Rajadamri neighborhood for 13 nights straight and then on to another hotel after that.

So, hope this has helped with some of your food choices.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Sep 10th, 2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 09:46 AM

Kathie - " Note that the only kind of massage offered at the Wat Po massage school is traditional Thai Massage".

That is not the case. The school offers oil massage, aromatherapy massage, foot massage, face massage and herbal massage in addition to the standard Thai massage.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 10:13 AM

Crellston, thanks for that info. That's a change from when I was last there!
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 08:43 AM

Can't help on the massage front, but we loved our meal at Issaya Restaurant, which a food writer friend of mine who grew up in Thailand and visits regularly had recommended.
For massages, we simply asked our hotel reception staff for a recommendation of a good place nearby that offered good massages by well trained therapists.
A lot of the "massage parlours" we passed while out and walking were very much not what we were looking for! ;-)