Horoscope/Astrological Palm Reading

Old Dec 8th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Horoscope/Astrological Palm Reading

I will be in Jaipur mid February and have read about having your palm read. The place receommended is the Rajasthan Astrological Council & Research Institute. Has anyone had their palm read at this location in Jaipur or elsewhere - in Jaipur or in another town/city? What type of reading did you get (palm, computerized horoscope)? How much did you end up paying? Based on the reading you received, did you feel it was worth the $$ spent? In other words, hopefully you didn't feel this was a fly by night guy on the street set up with a crystal ball.

I ask because I have an Indian friend who swears by the person she goes to while in India (not in a locale I will visit) and has told me to bring along a copy of my birth certificate for the most acurate of readings. She noted that a true reading will take more than 1/2 hour and to be aware of scams. So, that given, if you have any experience, please do share. I will be in other Rajasthan locations other than Jaipur as well.

Many thanks!
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 08:06 AM

My husband, as a historian of astronomy, is interested in astrological readings so during our trip to India we sought out "readers." In Varanasi, despite husband's insistence he didn't want a palm reading, the "astrologer" started with a palm reading with the promise that he would provide a reading based on birth information the next morning. He delivered a standardized computer printout with wrong dates, locations etc. My husband had provided very detailed information but it was all for naught. The upshot of the hour with the first astrologer is that my husband has "a very colorful brain." I did video the hour long encounter so it's a fun remembrance of the trip.

The second astrologer was at the Rambagh palace in Jaipur. He took the birth info and delivered some nonsensical computer printout that bore no relation to the birth info. The third astrologer had a nice office in the fort in Jodhpur. He wanted the birth info and said he would email his predictions. He didn't take any payment in advance so we weren't disappointed when nothing arrived. But then it's only been five years, not much time in the world of astrologers. Given the dismal showings by the first three astrologers my husband abandoned further investigation. He has, however, developed a tea aversion since one of the horoscopes said he would die drinking a cup of tea.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 02:51 PM

We had our palms read in Varanasi by our guide. Although he's also an astrologer, he said he preferred palm reading and treated us each to a substantial session for no extra charge. He had some astute insights, and gave us very specific instructions, which of course I cannot share, but at some point will let you know whether his predictions were accurate.

Not a word about the color of our brains, and luckily no tea warnings - that would have been horrendous for us!
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Simply too funny, Marija! Not one, not two, but three astrologers! Fortunately you have the video of the first "reading" which surely brings back the amusement of the experience when you watch it. It sounds as though you took it all in stride and didn't frett when the results were less than professional.

Thank you to you both for your responses. I suppose astrologers are a dime a dozen in India, or perhaps nearly everyone knows an astrolger/guide/guest house/taxi/jem dealer/carpet seller/artist/etc. so the tourist is always well taken care of. Here's my own prediction: Buyer beware and don't expect too much but enjoy the fun. Yes, I'm still going to see what my future holds. Looking forward to February!
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Marija View Post
My husband, as a historian of astronomy, is interested in astrological readings so during our trip to India we sought out "readers." In Varanasi, despite husband's insistence he didn't want a palm reading, the "astrologer" started with a palm reading with the promise that he would provide a reading based on birth information the next morning. He delivered a very good description of his ascendant etc. My husband had provided very detailed information but it was all for naught. The upshot of the hour with the first astrologer is that my husband has "a very colorful brain." I did video the hour long encounter so it's a fun remembrance of the trip.

The second astrologer was at the Rambagh palace in Jaipur. He took the birth info and delivered some nonsensical computer printout that bore no relation to the birth info. The third astrologer had a nice office in the fort in Jodhpur. He wanted the birth info and said he would email his predictions. He didn't take any payment in advance so we weren't disappointed when nothing arrived. But then it's only been five years, not much time in the world of astrologers. Given the dismal showings by the first three astrologers my husband abandoned further investigation. He has, however, developed a tea aversion since one of the horoscopes said he would die drinking a cup of tea.
Hi Marija,

thank you very much for sharing your and your husbands story! It is very interesting how the investigation went and I think I would have acted similar to your husband and I would also avoid tea!

Love Jiliane
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 03:10 PM

Mrs. Theo, you are smart. Your second paragraph in #4 says it all.
India is full of palmists, astrologers and life scientists. Many claim lots of education, while others claim they are experienced and have predicted this and that through the years.
But please, be very alert. Do not get scammed, do not pay lots of money and above all, do not really take what they are saying too seriously.
Most often, the predictions they give are some facts that most human being have in real life. For eg. he might say, "You have been through very stressful few months because of your chakaras etc." or " You are looking for new challenges, but those will come your way only when you have fasted for so many days, give so much in donations and stopped eating some foods". See the above eg. of drinking tea. Very, very common idea given by the astrologers to the naive public.
So, just be aware. Do it just for a fun experience, but not something to be taken too seriously. Definitely, do not give lots of money for computerized copies.
Have fun planning your trip.
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 08:43 PM

Sipping tea and kicking the bucket...wow that's luxury!
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 08:53 PM

i hope she had a nice trip. This enquiry is six yers old. Still , good info!