"RAT", the bangkok driver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have recently seen a report of one failure on the part of this woman to arrive for a pick-up....do others have any comments on her services.....in the past i have only seen positive things and i would like to use her, but only if i can count on her...thanks
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 07:07 PM

She did right by us. We would highly recommend her. Maybe it was a mis-communication. All of our drivers in Thailand were VERY punctual.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 12:17 AM

I had a great experience with Rat. She picked us up promptly on both excursions. She organized our entire visit to the Floating Market, including negotiations with the boatman and many small food and souvenir purchases along the way. After a shopping expedition, she took my friend's purchases home with her, to wrap for travel, when the store could not provide the right materials.
She knows BKK and the surrounding areas thoroughly and can smoothly navigate the worst traffic jams. She also provides humorous commentary in fairly good English.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 06:44 AM

How do we contact this guide and what does she charge for her services?
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 07:42 AM

rhk

Ratt was meant to meet us when we arrived at BKK, but she was not there. We waited half an hour, which after a 12 hour flight was a bit of a pain, so we got a taxi ourselves.

She phoned our room the next morning at 9am (although we were fast asleep, suffering jetlag). At our request, she phoned again at 12noon and apologised profusely. She had forgotten about us, basically. I had booked a number of other trips with her, and was slightly concerned about her reliability.

However, she was early on every other occasion, she bought us fruit when we were out and I think she went out of here way to make up for her initial failure. When we were returning back to BKK again after going to Chiang Rai, she sent her husband to collect us, and she phoned us when we were in his car, to check that we were ok. My bf reckons that the 100 baht tip he gave the first time she collected us, had something to do with it!!

I would definitely recommend her, and will use her again next time.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Louise:

So how do you contact her and what was the rate for her service? Does she rent out by the hour? Day? etc.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Bill

You can contact Ratt, real name Vimonrat Kantapiyo on [email protected].

Here is an excerpt from an e-mail she sent to me, in response to my initial enquiry:

Thank you very much to take my service. I charge 220 Bath per hour around in Bangkok and charge more for gasoline to another province. If you want me only pick up from airport-Hotel or Hotel-Airport, I charge 400 Baht for one trip.

Best regards,

Ratt.

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

i received a similar e-mail from her...i will try her but not for my initial airport pick-up...after that long trip i can't fool around and i love the cool mercedes and ice cold water...and no hastle getting that last suitcase in the trunk or front seat....
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 05:02 AM

LouiseUK:
What type of car does she drive? How do you pay her- each day?
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 09:01 AM

Bill

She had an air condititoned yellow and green taxi, sorry I don't recall the make. It was very clean, with covered seats. We paid her cash at the end of each trip.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

most of the yellow and green taxis are toyota corollas....they are moderately comfortable and the a/c is adequate...
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:51 PM

A friend of mine just got back last night from a trip to BKK. On my recommendation, he used Rat for two full days of touring around the city and places like the Floating Market. His words....."Since I was traveling alone, I thought it would not be all that much fun, but Rat was a great driver and tour guide and she has a wonderful sense of humor. Going around with her MADE my trip."