Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Questions on things to do in Thailand...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2008, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone - I've been searching the boards to get some good ideas for planning our trip to Thailand, and have a few questions with organization...

Background on us -- my husband and I are traveling with another couple; are all active low-30s, however I am about 24 weeks pregnant; live in NYC and used to walking everywhere; travel often and do all my research on these boards love the off-the-beaten places mixed in with the "must sees".

In Bangkok -- We'll be there 2 1/2 days on the front, and 1/2 day at the end. We plan to do the big sights, The Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun and Jim Thompsons house. Was also planning to spend a day at Ayutthaya.

1. Is it worth using a guide for anything in particular? Is it easier to get to a few sights in one day? Usually do everything on our own, w/o guides, but had a guide to visit Iguazu Falls in Argentina and thought it really added to the experience, so would be open to it for a sight or something if it was worth it...

2. Should we skip Ayutthaya?

3. Any advice of something else to do instead? Good restaurant to check out or shop to try?

4. What about that fishing village I hear everyone talk about with Tong?

In Chiang Mai -- we'll be there 3 days and want to visit the TECC and Doi Suthep
1. How long should we spend at TECC? Can we combine that trip with anything else in the area? Should we get a car service only or go with a guide?

2. What about those raft rides/elephant treks, are they worth it? Very touristy? Any other options for a river ride?

3. Will be there on Saturday and would like to check out the weekend market

4. Want to do a cooking class, but only a 1/2 day if possible, I tried to contact A Lot of Thai, but never heard back Thoughts

Also spending some time on the beaches, Phuket and Koh Lanta, can try and do the cooking class there if you think time is better spend in CM at the sights.

When we planned the trip it seemed like we had so much time, now when I look at it, I can't see how we'll see anything! We are leaving tomorrow! - eeekkkkkkk

Thanks everyone for any advice you may have on our visit to Thailand...
Cindy
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 05:34 AM

I would skip Ayuttaya and see if you can arrange to go to the fishing village with Tong or a team member. TourwithTong.com. Of course, you may have left it too late. Give it a try.

To see the BKK sights, you don't need a guide, but if you use one, you will be able to see much more. If you use Tong, you might enjoy making merit early in the morning before the sightseeing.

You're going at the perfect time. We've been there lots during this time period and the weather was always good. We're grounded this year (I've been a very bad panda) and I'm jealous.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 05:43 AM

i too would skip AY.....i think you might find it difficult to spend all day in the heat and humidity...

let me encourange you to take as many taxis as possible in bkk to ease your situation....also keeping out of the pollution as much as possible....

for your first day i would plan not to do much....any way you could shift your bkk time to the end of the trip?

you can try tong but i think she is going to be out of town next week...

honestly it is late to be planning to get anyone to assist you...you will just have to wing it....don't, however, plan to do too much in one day....
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM

BTW, if you do the BKK sights on your own, please be aware of touts. These are people in front of the major locations, e.g., Grand Palace, Wat Pho that will approach you and tell you that the temple is closed and suggest a tuk tuk ride to some other sights. You will end up going to a jeweler and taylor and other sleazy merchants. Just ignore the touts or say no thank you.

When taking a taxi, insist that the driver use the meter. If he refuses, get out and find another taxi.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 07:21 AM

You really don't have much time in Bangkok, so I'd recommend that you skip Ayutthaya. You can certainly do all of the sites on your own. If you are staying along the river, you can take a water taxi to the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha stop, explore there, walk a block to Wat Po, then cross the river to Wat Arun. Get to the GP/EB when it opens, 8:30. (If you aren't on the river, you can take the skytrain to the river then board a water taxi... I think the water taxi is a quintessential Bangkok experience... it's more like a water bus.) You may be able to this this in one day if it isn't too hot, if you take a break at mid-day to eat and cool off, etc. If you start this and realize it's too much, take a break and to the second part the next morning.

If you and/or your friends are interested in the arts of ES Asia, let me recommend the Prasart Museum. It's a private museum located out of the city. You'll ned a driver to get you there - I used Julie Taxi. You have to have a reservation in advance and only one party is allowed at a time, so the four of your would have a private guide to show you the indoor/outdoor museum. Take a look at our photos www.marlandc.com click on Bangkok 2005 and you'll see a link to the Prasart Museum photos. This is a place that is off the beaten track. As you can see from the website, we have a lot of photos of Bangkok over the years. You might browse them quickly to see what else might interest you. It's remarkably easy to get away from other tourists in Bangkok. Even a visit to one of the spectacular but less-visited wats will take you away from other tourists. You'll be there with the locals making offerings.

You ask about restaurants and shops - what do you want to shop for? In Bangkok, a few of my favorite Thai restaurants are Lemongrass (an old fave - I first ate there more than 20 years ago!) Face is a lovely more upscale place, I love Chote Chitr a little hole in the wall but very hard to find. If you're game, go a search here as I have posted very explicit instruction on how to find it.

In Chiang Mai, you ask about the weekend market. The weekend market is in Bangkok, not Chiang Mai. Perhaps you're thinking of the Sunday Walking market. I wasn't impressed with the Sunday Walking Market - it was all tourist stuff. There were a few nice crafts, but mostly souvenirs. Frankly, the shopping is better in Bangkok than in CM these days - more selection, better prices.

Yes, the elephant rides and raft trips advertised by every agency are very touristy. Go to the TECC to interact with the elephants. No need for a guide to take you here, just use a taxi or hire a car and driver for the day.

Do leave some flexibility in your time in Bangkok and Chiang Mai so you can explore. You don't have nearly enough time in Bangkok for my taste, but it sounds like you are mostly interested in relaxing at the beach this trip.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM

There is a Saturday walking street in Chiang Mai as well. It's in the silver village, along Wualai Road just south of the Chiang Mai gate to the old city. It's much smaller than the Sunday walking street. I would recommend it, but more for the flavor it gives of the local culture rather than the shopping (although I've always left there with something).

For Thai cooking classes, try the Kao Hom school (http://www.kaohom.com/).
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 09:45 AM

Try Chiang Mai Cookery School. I've been twice and enjoyed the experience very much...try for the out of town location as they take you to the market on the way and the setting is much nicer than in town.
The website is
www.thaicookeryschool.com and the email is [email protected]

Good Luck!