Do I need a guide for Bangkok visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to very independent but I can see the advantage of using a guide to hit more tourist sites in a minimum amount of time. I'm just a bit undecided. Here's our situation.

We are party of 4. We'll be arriving early on April 1. We have that day and Sunday, April 2 in Bangkok. Our flight out leaves early the next day.

I contacted Ratt but it doesn't appear that the four of us would comfortably fit her car. Also, I wasn't too excited about leaving the hotel at 6:30am as she suggests. What happened to my nice leisurely vacation breakfast?

We'll be staying at the Royal Orchid Sheraton. Could we take a combination of public transportation - river taxis, etc. and see the main sites? Any reason why we couldn't leave at 9am or even 10am?

Is the guide more than a driver? Will we get much from a narrative? I will probably read the guide books but the rest of the family will not so maybe they'd get more out of a guided tour. At the various temples, are we on our own or are there guided tours?

Thanks for your advice!
Deb
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:52 AM

You absolutely don't need a guide. I'd look at a guidebook, start with the Jim
Thompson house, include the two major temples and with the use of a map (which are easy to get) use the Skytrain if it's near your hotel to get around. Traffic moves slowly and being in a car will only slow you down, which may be why the driver suggested going so early. Walking in Bangkok isn't that pleasant so people like to be in malls. Food courts at the top of malls are better and more fun than you'd expect. The Emporium is the most upscale and that's the one I'd suggest visiting - and eating at.

The Sukhumvit area is very touristy, attracts a lot of western men who come to meet Thai women, and it's worth seeing. We had a great Thai dinner on Soi 11 at the place across from the Ambassador Hotel, where you can eat outdoors (if it's not too warm) and hear live music. You'll be able to see what you want in 2 days and don't need anyone buzzing in your ear. If you take a taxi, be sure to have them use the meter. Enjoy.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Some people here swear by using a driver in Bangkok. I don't use one unless I'm going outside the city. You can easily use public transport to the main sights.

The Royal Orchid is ideally located for using water taxis. The dock is next door to the hotel. To visit the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha/Wat Po, you take the water taxi a few stops, get off, and all three are within a couple of blocks of where you are. You actually do want to get started early that morning so you can get in about the time the complex opens, 8:00 for the grounds, 8:30 for the Emerald Buddha (this is an issue about heat).

As I remember, you are flying from the US. So you'll probably be awake very early anyway because of the time difference.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Oh, and to get to the skytrain from the Royal Orchid you can take a shuttle van, or, my preference, use the water taxi (go the opposite direction from the Grand Palace, the skytrain station is just a couple of stops away.

The Sukhumvit area is huge and includes a lot of the main shopping areas. Sybilny makes it sound like it's all Patpong (the red light district) but it isn't. Much of it is upscale shopping, and there are zillions of excellent restaurants and many hotels in the huge area along Sukhumvit.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both! Bangkok is actually at the end of our itinerary. We'll have already been to Hong Kong and a week in Phuket so we will probably have adjusted to sleeping later.

How about this itinerary: On the first day, arrive mid-morning, check-in, lunch, shop and visit the Jim Thompson house. On the second day, get up early to do the temples.

Should I be avoiding mid-day activities due to heat?

Deb
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:02 AM

A good mid day activity would be a klong (canal) tour on a longtail boat. You can hire one on the pier outside your hotel. May fodorites swear by this and say it is one of the best things to do in BKK. do a search on here for klong tour and you will find reviews and logistics.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:10 AM

i was worried about jet lag, but now see it will not be a problem...

you schedule looks realistic and i think you can easily do it on your own...

i would see the following is this order:

grand palace
wat arun
wat pho
v mark palace
jim thompson house
jim thompsons main store on suriwong on way back to hotel...

you could ignor v-mark if time was running short....this would be a very full day....

start out on the boat and then use taxis after that....4 would fit in taxi but it is tight....may have driver trouble around site, i.e. no meter usage, tell you things are closed...ignor them....

get a guide for palace at entrance...stay 2 hours there...

call it quits
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Deb, I like your idea of the Jim Thompson House on day one, plan to have lunch there, spend some time shopping on that side of town.

The next day start with the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha/Wat Po.

For me those are the "must-see" places. Youa can add if you wish, but make sure you leave time for long, leisurely lunches, wandering around shopping, getting a massage, etc.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:34 AM

i was under the impression that Wat Arun was near the river and best seen at dusk? Should it be included with the other main temples, or can it be left separately--especially if you are staying by the river
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM

what about if you added the floating market and grand palace to this agenda? Would it make sense, then, to hire a driver????
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Wat Arun is across the river from the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha complex. "The temple of the Dawn" many people like to visit late in the day or to include it with a klong tour. With a mere two days, one has to decide what to see and what to leave for next time.

jk, the Grand Palace is part of this itinerary. If you want to go to the Floating Market, you would need a driver.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Not necessary. Get on the skytrain. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:26 AM

how far is the walk from the skytrain, please?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:34 AM

If you arrive early enough in the afternoon, go see the JT house and while you're there, take a look at the shopping around Siam Square.

That evening, take a look at the Flower market after 10:00 p.m..

Next day, river ferry to Grand Palace, then Wat Pho. Eat lunch and in the afternoon you can go for a Klong tour. This will be a full day.

Make sure you try the Gallery Cafe just up the block from your hotel. Exit the lobby, turn right, follow the road around to the left and it will be on your right before you get to the main road( Charon Kreung).
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:28 AM

debbrown:
1) What are the ages of your group?
2) Are you used to high heat/humidity?

Getting a driver to take you around all day is not needed but....... you will see more, do more, have more energy with one and the cost is very reasonable.