Search

What would you do with Tong?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
What would you do with Tong?

Hi,
I know there's been a barrage of discussion about Tong's services in BKK, and I wasn't planning to use a tour guide while there....however, since this is our first trip to BKK, I'm rethinkiing that maybe we should have her show us around for the first day...to ease the comfort factor of getting to know a new culture and city. Given that we can see the major sights on our own, what would you suggest that we do with her for a day? Thanks again for sharing your experiences.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tong, herself, prefers to takes trips outside of town, but she does do in town things as well...

contrary to your thinking, i would have her or her team take me to the major sites in bkk for a couple of reasons...one having a car drop me off and pick me up in front saves tons of time and also allows for a quick cool down and regroup before hitting the next spot....taxis are hard to get at the major sites if you want them to use the meter and just take you directly to your next stop..... getting to most of the main sites is not on any rapid transit line... getting from one area to another is a problem.... quick stops for toilet and eating is best done with an experienced person... and on and on...

main sites:

grand palace
jim thompson house--easy to do on your own
wat arun
wat pho
making merit in AM
klong tour---easily done on your own or at end of tong tour
prasart museum---need a driver to take you there
shopping for select items: with a guide or on your own--- avoid the big tourist shops totally--i.e. government shops
v-mark palace
suan pickard palace

outside of bkk she does some wonderful tours:

a combo of the floating market and the fishing village makes a wonderful day

floating market and tiger temple

tiger temple, floating market and kantchurburi (sp)
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 07:20 PM

How many days do you have in Bangkok?

The main sites Bob lists above would take about three days. And, of course, there are places you can visit outside of Bangkok as well, several of which Bob has listed.

I'm on the other side of the argument from Bob on whether to use a guide in town. You can, indeed, get to the major tourist sites via public transit. You get to the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha/Wat Po/Wat Arun via the water taxi system. These are more like "water buses" and are a necessary Bangkok experience, IMO. So there is no need to take taxis to/from these places. If you are not staying in a hotel on the river, you just take the Skytrain to the river. You can also arrange a klong tour at the Sathorn Pier or River City Shopping center or your hotel if you are staying by the river.

The Prasart Museum is out of town, and you'll need a driver, but not a guide as a guide is part of your admission fee to the museum.

The Jim Thompson House you can do on your own, the Skytrain will get to close to it. The Suan Pakkad Palace you can also get close to via the Skytrain and take a short taxi ride from there.

The traffic in Bangkok is truly bad. My most recent trip just a few weeks ago, the traffic was the worst I've seen it since before the Skytrain, subway and expressways were built many years ago. While I have taken plenty of taxis in Bangkok, I found myself planning even more than usual how to get from one place to another without needing to use taxis. I doubt that having a car and driver will save you much time, and may well take longer. I remember a report a few years ago from a couple who decided to use the Pen's hotel car to visit the major temple sites along the river. They reported the traffic was so terrible that it took 45 minutes to get from the Grand Palace to Wat Po... only someone who had hired a car and driver would drive from one to the other as they are a block away from each other.

Do your research, and choose what you feel would be best for you given your style of travel.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 10:26 PM

http://www.fodors.com/guidebooks/9781400003761/

http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/Primary...=1261379091469

Millions of people visit Bangkok for the first time each year and most will to manage pretty well without needing their own personal guide. Purchase a guidebook such as one of the above before you go and have a read of it, noting the section on scams. Bangkok is hardly the most difficult place to get around. When people mention hiring guides I immediately think of crossing the Sahara or climbing Everest, not exploring Bangkok

If you really feel you need some guidance then I'm sure your hotel can arrange something. For some reason people on Fodor's rarely suggest the obvious (to me anyway) i.e. booking a local bus tour of the highlights. Plenty of local travel agents and hotel concierges who can organize this for you at short notice without any need to book in advance.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 02:47 AM

If you want to arrange for Tong as a guide, you should book ASAP. She fills up quickly. Having said that, our days with her have been some of the most enjoyable travel days we've ever had.

I would use Tong, or one of her team for out-of-town activities. The Floating matket and the Fishing Village would make a very fun day. At the FM, she takes a tourist trap and makes it really enjoyable. The FV is a unique experience.

However, if you use her for in-town activities, you will have a very full day and a wonderful introduction to Bangkok. If you go this way, start the day with "making merit". The interaction with the monks will be a good way to begin.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 03:57 AM

I have to agree with Kathie. Getting around using the Skytrain and an occasional tuk tuk or taxi is easier than by car. If you want an introduction to the area, hire Tong to take you out to the Floating Market, secret place, rail road market, and have her show you how to make merit. She will also introduce you to an assortment of foods and fruits at the floating market which will help you out in ordering when you are on your own. These are experiences that you will treasure and remember and that cannot be easily done on your own.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 05:20 AM

i took tons of taxis last month while in bkk....did i get in traffic jams, of course...but they were mostly in areas like sukhumvit, plenochit, silom and sathorn....not really the tourist areas...

i breezed through the areas around the grand palace a few times mid-day, morning and afternoon...

i remember well my first couple of trips to bkk, albeit before the skytrain, when making a wrong turn caused me to waste an hour going some place.. these are the type of things i am advocating that you avoid by using a driver in bkk... it all can be done on your own of course, but remember the humidity, etc
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the specific recommendations. We will be in BKK for 4 1/2 days....so I think it would be best to book Tong for an out of city trip since this will be our only stop in Thailand. I had read some negative things about the floating markets though, and wasn't sure that we should do it. However, if as you say, she makes it interesting and helps to decipher the food, that would be worth it. We will be in Luang Prabang also, and will do the making merit there. I think we could find our way on the water taxis or skytrain for the rest.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM

We went to the Floating market twice. The first was not very interesting. However, the second was with tong and a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I think you will like it.

Making merit in Bangkok with tong is completely different than in Luang Prabang. In BKK, it is much more immediate and fascinating. I suggest you give this a try as well.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 09:11 AM

Try Ratt instead of Tong- she is comfortable taking you around town where ever you want.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 11:32 AM

You can go on your own to make merit in Bangkok - lots of options. I always enjoy the merit-making at Wat Ben. It is different from Luang Prabang.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM

Hi BFB,

If I could have my first day in Bangkok again, this is what I would do..

Hire Tong for the day to take me on a City tour, via public transport, firstly on the skytrain and then on the river boats to the Grand Palace. This is where things can go wrong...alot of scamming and confusion..Tong will ease the tension of trying not to get scammed and let you relax and enjoy the experience. You will also get a concise interpretation of what the Palace means to Thai people from someone with a deep respect for Thai culture but can explain it in a way that can be appeciated by a first time visitor.

Then maybe Lunch by the river and Wat Pho, not necessarily in that order and then get her to arrange a tuk-tuk to take you shopping, maybe to China Town or one of the markets. A tuk-tuk ride is a must do experience in Bangkok but again, much can go astray if you attempt this by yourself. Tong will select someone that will not take you to a gem shop or brothel and who will charge a fair price.

Maybe get her to show you where a few other places are and ask lots of questions.
Get a feel for how the transport system works and enjoy a day out with a fun, vibrant local.

After that, your next few days in Bangkok will be a breeze. You will be able to negotiate travelling to the other main sites with great aplomb and you will use the short time you have effeciently.

Every else is correct, you can see Bangkok on your own, but they have all done it many times. I certainly would have got more enjoyment out of my first trip if I had someone to show me the ropes on day 1.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 04:16 AM

Could I please have Tong's email address so that I can contact her for my time in BK 24th to 27th March. thank you.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 09:27 AM

TourwithTong.com
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

shanek, that's an excellent recommendation. You're right, I'm forgetting how confusing and nerve-wracking a new city and transport system can be. I'll schedule our first full day with her.

Everyone else, with only 4 1/2 days, would you still go out of town to the flower market and fishing village....or see more of BKK?
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 05:29 PM

Personally, I'd stay in Bangkok.

By the way, the flower market is in Bangkok. The Floating Market is outside of Bangkok.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 02:42 AM

I would go out of town to the Floating Market and Fishing Village. There is no possible way that you can see everything in Bangkok in 4 1/2 days or 14 1/2 days for that matter. You will have to prioritize sights. The day outside of Bangkok will be delightful and add to your expertience, not subtract from it.