Search

Help with Bangkok Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 02:26 PM
EZT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Bangkok Itinerary

My husband and I are going to Bangkok on business in February. We are planning to arrive 6 days early for our own personal touring. Once our conference starts, we will be in Bangkok with only free time in the evenings(that will last about 6 days and then we go back home to WDC)

My husband is a professional photographer - since we know absolutely nothing about Asia, we thought it might be helpful to go with some kind of a tour, preferably a private tour guide/driver, since we need the freedom to stop wherever and whenever the moment strikes my husband.

We particularly like to experience the countryside, slice of life, and stunning visuals which obviously is plentiful in Thailand. With only six days, should we stay in Bangkok and environs, do we plan on our own or try to book some kind of private tour - I usually do the itinerary planning, but this time I am at a loss. With language and culture so different, should I be more cautious or just plunge in (we have traveled to Europe often).

Any suggestions on itinerary, hotels, tour guides, drivers would be helpful. We do not have an unlimited budget, but we are willing to spend the money for a once in a lifetime experience. Thank you!
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Enlist the services of Ratt (do a search on Ratt on this board and you will get plenty of info about her and her service. Very reliable and inexpensive). Stay on the river- search on Penninsul and/or the oriental and you will get a lot of reviews. Also the Marriott on the river is a less expensive option (the former are 5 stars, the marriott is 4 star)
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Interestingly, you'll likely have less difficulty with the language in Thailand than in many European countries! Most people you come in contact with will speak at least a little English.

Don't do a tour - no reason to. You could profitably spend your whole time in Bangkok with a couple of day trips. Ratt can be very helpful, especially for out of town trips. When I'm just staying in toen, I prefer to go on my own, taking the water taxis and regular taxis.

I agree with Bill's advice - do stay along the river.

Get yourself a guide book, even just a small one such as Insight's compact guide to Bangkok. It'll help orient you to the major attractions.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 05:29 PM

get a good gude book as has been said...

every corner has fabulous shots really...

i would hire ratt for outside bkk and do your own thing in bkk....it is easy to get around...if you carry lots of eqpt, best if you have ratt or someone to follow you around...

[email protected]

she charges based on an 8 hour day....

the grand palace, jim thompson house, v-mark palace, suan packard palace, wat pho, marble wat, thornburi klong tour by long tail boat, china town, flower market----all would provide tons of opportunity plus just everyday life on the streets and alleys....

outside town the floating market is great for pics...the ancient capital north of the airport is also good for pics....

with your limited time i would center around bkk....
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 07:27 PM

Stay in Bangkok the whole time and use Ratt. Do NOT book a tour. Places to go within Bangkok -- 1. Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddah
2. klong tour including flower market and wat arun
3.Jim Thompson House
4.Vimamanek Mansion
5.Prasart Museum
6.Wat Po
7.Marble Temple
8.Chinatown
9.Suaan Pakkard

Outside of bangkok
1. Floating Market
2. River Kwai