Search

Trip To Bangkok for 6 days!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip To Bangkok for 6 days!

Hi there,

Me and my cousin are currently planning a trip to Bangkok for 6 days, July 21 - July 27. We are trying to see what is the best way to make the most of the time. We are on a tight budget and do not want to spend too too much. We both like adventure very much and are up for pretty much anything! This is our game plan so far ... any feedback or ideas would be GRREATLLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thursday, July 20th
– We arrive in Bangkok @ 11:05PM, Taxi to D&D Inn

Friday, July 21st
- We would like to get a tour by public transportation with a guide. We hope to visit the temples and the tourist sightseeing places on this day.

Saturday, July 22nd
- We will be visiting the weekend market and malls today.

Sunday, July 23rd
– We will visit any more of the weekend market that we missed and would like to do something fun at night as well, any ideas??

Monday, July 24th
- We would like to do a whole day excursrion this day. Maybe if not to far we could visit one of the orphanages! And also ride elephants and visit the crocodile farm!

Tuesday, July 25th
– We would like to do lots of adventurous things like go surfing, go on hikes, get mopeds or motorcycles if possible. Maybe if it is not to expensive (1000 baht or less round trip) we could take a flight/bus to Phuket or somewhere that has lots of adventurous things (go to the mountains in Chang Mai/Rai ??) and that is near a beach. We can stay over night in that place and then fly back on the 26th???

Wednesday, July 26th
– Today we would like to relax and take massages, do yoga, meditate, and relax on the beach. Just recover from the fun time in Thailand and rest up before visiting my sister in Japan!

Thursday, July 27th
– We leave beautiful Bangkok @ 6:50AM and head to Tokyo, Japan.

So that's the idea so far. Again anything at all would be of great help to us. Thanks in advance and happy travels!!!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Ok, first comment, you are trying to do WAY too much. It sounds like you should stick to Bangkok and a day trip. One doesn't really fly to Phuket for a day. So cut your ideas of surfing! Also, this is rainy season in Phuket. It also doesn't make any sense to fly to CM/CR for an overnight trip.

You don't need a guide to take public transport and see the temples. You can easily do that on your own. Remember it is very hot in Thailand, and you'll have to slow down to do things in the heat. Visit the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha? Wat Po in the morning as soon as it opens. (Ignore anyone who tells you it isn't open and keep walking.) Then catch a taxi (make sure they use the meter) to your next destination. You'll have time to cool off in the car.

One day at the weekend market will be plenty.

A close-by more adventurous day trip would be to Kanchaburi.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Hey Kathie!

Thanks for the reply! Yea we were figuring that it was too much but just said I would add it to give people an idea of what we were looking to do. This is my first trip intrnationally so I guess I can't try to overdo it. Yea I agree the trip to Phuket isn't worth it. Is Chang Mai/Rai close enough to bus for the day? and if so is it worth it?
Also what is the best way to get to Kanchaburi? and what is there to do?

Thanks again, we appreciate the advice!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Hey Kathie,

Looking more into Kanchanaburi it sounds really cool, especially since I saw something where it said you can motorbike around the whole place! If it's not too much trouble I was wondering if you could recommend a general itinerary for us. I was looking at a bunch of other threads you wrote in and you have some great ideas!
Thanks

Ryan
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 02:47 PM

The flight to Chiang Mai is an hour, check in an hour beforehand plus time to get the the airport...same coming back. Same as going to Phuket for a day, which I wouldn't do. Personally, I wouldn't go to Chiang Mai for a day...though I did go for a week, and will go again.

With only 6 days I think Bangkok and Kanchaburi or Ayuthaya or maybe both will be more than enough.

Depending where you are coming from, you will probably have jet lag too. This being your first trip, you have no idea at all how this will affect you. It may be no problem, or you may be someone who is wiped out by it. Jet lag is a bit different for everyone, and is also a bit different trip to trip,

You might consider doing the floating market by bicycle tour. Spice Roads does this trip, and our guide when we did a trip to Ko Kred with them in January told us her favorite Bangkok day trip with bicycles was the floating market one. www.spiceroads.com If you did that, it would be a full day.

Another full day would be seeing the Grand Palace, Wat Arun and a Klong tour. If you are really speedy at sightseeing, you might add the Jim Thompson House on the same day.

A trip to Ayyuthaya would be another very full day.

If you wanted to go to Kanchaburi, that's another full day.

Now you've got two days...temples, shopping, spa, markets...endless things to do in Bangkok.

You could choose to join tours to all the places once you are in Bangkok, but it doesn't cost much more, if it even costs more at all, to hire a driver. With your own driver you get to set the pace and you get to go where you want in air conditioned comfort. There are a number of people recommended here, most popular right now is Tong, followed by Ratt and Julie Taxi.

It might be a really good idea for you to pick up a guidebook or two so you can get an idea of what there is to see and do. There really is so much that you will need to choose carefully to use your time best. There are also loads of posts here about Bangkok, and if you just type Bangkok in the search box you'll end up with hours or reading.

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

THanks Kim!
Yea I'm praying that Jet Lag doesn't kick in. Yea after hearing what is said Chang mai and Phuket are out of the plan. Kanchanaburi however has really caught my interest and after looking into it I found tons of things to do like the tiger temple, elephant riding, waterfalls, caves, motorbiking, etc.
Now what's your take on going to Kanchanaburi for a few days? Like I was thinking what if we went there on Monday or Tuesday and stayed until Wednesday?

Also one other question. Wherever we are on Wednesday, we'll have to check out by 12pm since we are staying at the airport that night to catch an early morning flight on Thursday. I was just wondering what we can do with our luggage for that day? is there luggage storage anywhere?
Thanks again!

The Rookie Traveller lol
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 04:08 PM

There is a floating hotel in Kanchaburi that seems pretty cool. I could spend a couple of days there easily. I think you need to decide what you want out of your 6 days...as you are discovering, it's not much time.

Hotels will keep your luggage for you until you want to go to the airport. You don't need to stay at the airport for the early morning flights, as it will only save you about 15 minutes. It might be easier and nicer to stay where you were rather than change to an airport hotel for one night...they aren't that nice. We had a 6:00 am out of BKK to NRT in January and left the Conrad at 4:00 am, arrived at the airport at 4:15 am. We could have had a breakfast packed for us, but we stupidly passed on that option for reasons I can't even remember now.

Where does your sister live in Japan? We live in Kanazawa, a small city on the west coast.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Don't worry too much about jet lag. Just be prepared to do only 3/4 of a day the first day. Get a massage after returning to hotel. It's relaxing and gets the kinks out. Make sure you get a Nancy Chandler Map of BKK before you go to the weekend market. This makes it much easier to navigate the market. Skip CM and P. One or two day trips will suffice. NO SURFING. Remember Taxis are cheap if you make sure they use the meter. get out if they don't use it.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Hey Kim ... I actually think you helped my sister when her and my parents planned a trip to Thailand a couple of months ago. They went to Ko Samui and were only in Bangkok for around 2/3 days. Her name is Tiffany and she is teaching english in Tokyo!

Yea I found a nice place to stay in Kanchanaburi ... I think we might just go there on Monday then and stay until Tuesday or Wednesday. So here's what I'm thinking ...
I am reserving thurs. night to sun. night at D&D Inn on Khao San Rd. then on Monday we grab a bus on Khao San Rd. that goes to Kanchanaburi. Then we stay in Kanchanaburi until Wed. morn/afternoon. We come back to Bangkok to look around some more and get some massages and do some meditation!
The reason we were going to stay at the airport was to save money and avoid the hastle of getting to the airport for 6am ... but if we do that we are stuck with our luggage for all of Wednedsay. What should we do? Can we store our luggage at D&D Inn while we go to Kanchanaburi with just a backpack and then pick it up Wed. before heading to the airport. Or should we stay somewhere on Wednesday?
Hope that makes sense! lol .. any idea!
Thanks for all the help everyone... you guys are TRIPsavers!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks gpanda! yea the massages are def. needed! so looking forward to that!! What is the most we should pay for one!?
ALright so I guess by unanymous decision, surfing is out of the gameplan too! lol
Also where can I get a Nancy Chandler map?
Thanks!!!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 05:59 PM

You'll be able to get the Nancy Chandler map at lots of places in Bangkok - bookstores, hotels, newstands, etc.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:02 AM

You don't want to save too much on massages. The Wat Pho School of massage is very good and cheap. If you get one there it's slightly cheaper than if you call them and they send someone to your hotel. At some of the walk-in places, the masseurs seem distracted. The hotel spas are good, but expensive.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Hey Guys,

I'm with my cousin discussing the trip. So I think the gameplan now is to do Fri. - Sun. in Bangkok and then Mon - Wed. in Kanchanaburi. I was just wondering how much cash we should take i.e what should we budget? Also is it true that Travellers Cheque is the best way to go when it comes to exchanging it?
THanks!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:53 AM

atm usage is far superior to trav cks
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Hey Thanks rhkkmk ... do the atm's take debit cards or just Visa/MC?
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 10:01 AM

your need for cash will depend on where you stay, how much you plan to spend for food (which can be very inexpensive), how you plan to get from one place to another, etc....what you purchase...

i think once you experience bkk you will not want to leave....i'm not sure you will find Kan all that interesting...imo
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 10:02 AM

all that intereting for two young guys that is...i assume that is what you are??
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:39 PM
rache2000

"i think once you experience bkk you will not want to leave..."

This is so true. I spent 4 weeks there and still did'nt wnat to leave and did'nt even come close to seeing everything I would have liked to see. I'm going back this Dec, and I can wait. Thailand just one of those places that gets into your soul.

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:46 PM
rache2000

Most of the ATMS have an english language option, some do'nt, I'm not sure but I think most only dispense Baht. At least the ones I used did. To Keep it straight I just roughly rounded off and basicly 200 Baht is 5 USD. That way if your using the ATM's you can keep track of how much much money ur actually withdrawing. I just found counting by 5's was easier for me to keep track.

You can actually have a whole lot of fun there really very inexpenvie