Cherry - greatest guide in Thailand

Feb 4th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Cherry - greatest guide in Thailand

We are two couples who hired Cherry to guide us in Thailand. We spent 3 days in Bangkok and a week in the north. She was amazing. Her knowledge about the sites and her love of her country were incredible. She tailored the itineraries to our interests and was very mindful of our wishes. Her English was excellend and both drivers were personable and wonderful. I had forgotten my walking stick and the Bangkok driver went out and purchased one for me while we were touring the grand palace. I would highly recommend Cherry and her services. We enjoyed her so much that my husband issued a standing invitation for Cherry and her husband to visit us in the U.S.
Feb 4th, 2008, 09:40 AM

How about some details? I know a few others on the board have used her, but she isn't mentioned as often as some others.

Can you give us info on prices? How much per day or for mileage? DId she accompany you in Northern Thailand or just in Bangkok? What were the highlights for you?
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:51 PM

karen and i have used cherry in the past.....we found her to be very informative, to be extremely organized and also to be very flexible...

we like the idea that she usually uses a driver so that she can devote full attention to the clients/sightseers....the other bangkok guides whom we have used have driven the car and talked to us at the same time...this does however make the day slightly more expensive, as you would expect...

like you we feel that she and her husband are now our friends....in fact we will return to pattaya with the sole purpose of visiting them on our next trip in may....

you can reach her at:

[email protected]

jeri---i agree with kathie, can you tell us more of what you did during your time with her??
Feb 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM

We can also vouch for and reccommend Cherry whom we used as a guide in the north for 5-6 days last January.

Kathy - if you want more details check out my web page on that trip:

http://www.travel.stv77.com/thailand/thailand.htm
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi: Re itinerary: We arrived early (1 a.m.) on a Friday. Cherry met us at the hotel (she offered to pick us up at the airport but that was part of the hotel package) and had a "leisurely day" planned. We went to the Grand Palace and several temples and walked through street markets. She advised us on an incredible place for massages at much less than hotel prices (800 baht for 2 hour Thai massage) If I remember right it was Maiden Massage. She said it was important that it be a trained/certified place and not cost too much. She was also very aware of costs and steered us to places that were less than the hotel prices.

Her prices for herself & driver were $140/day in Bangkok and $165/day in nothern Thailand. The price had gone up some since gasoline prices were up a lot. I liked the fact that she spent her time as the guide and didn't have to think about driving, etc. We were 2 couples so could split the costs.

One other day we drove to the floating market in another city (the one with the train track through the market) and also visited some sites in Bangkok.

The third day we went to Ayuthaya and the ruins and market there.

On Monday a.m. we flew to Chiang Rai (she flew on the same flight as we did). We stayed right by the night market which was a fantastic location. The white temple in Chiang Rai is incredible. We stayed there a couple days. One day we went to the house and grounds of the king's sister (Doi Tung - if I remember right) and saw incredible gardens. Just driving in the mountains was beautiful. We also visited a pineapple farm which makes paper products and which is run by and helps support women in the village.We went to the golden triangle and had a boat ride over to Laos.

One day we went into the mountains to visit some hill tribes. I had done research and had concerns about visiting hill tribes. Cherry was sensitive to our concerns. The place she visits requires money to visit (which is shared with the people living there) and is quite a vertical hike in the mountains which would preclude any large tourist buses. The people live there versus just being on display. It was an amazing visit.
We also went to the monkey cave and the Mae Sai market (at the border with Burma)

The next day we took a 2 1/2 hour long tail boat ride on the Mai kok river to Tha-ton where Cherry and the driver met us to continue the journey to Chiang Mai.

We went to an elephant place which was just wonderful. We also had concerns about exploitation of animals and she insured the place we visited provides support for the elephants and their riders and families. By the money from tourists, elephants can be rescued/supported/fed/etc.

In Chiang Mai we also stayed right in the midst of the night market.

We went to the orchid farm and had a great bufet. We visited the Doi Suthep temple.

We then drove to Lampong and spent the night there. We visited the Haripunchai Pagoda and some other sites.

The next day we drove to Pitsanulok stopping at a wonderful waterfall and park at Srisachnalai.

We visited Sukhothai historical park and ate at the best noodle place which our driver recommended to Cherry.

We visited the temple of the "most beautiful buddh in Thailand."

We did eat several times with Cherry and Dewey (spelling??) the driver which was fun.

That night Cherry treated us to a good bye dinner at a wonderful place in Phitsanulok.

The next morning we flew back to Bangkok.

I am sure I left out some of the places we visited. The country is so beautiful and the wats are so different and stunning.

Some of us had specific things we wanted to purchase in Thailand and Cherry was great at finding a place for me to get eye glasses and for David to get a traditional knife, etc. She negotiated prices for us at markets which was great. I am not the best at bargaining.

I know a lot of people find it easy to get around Bangkok on their own but with the heat and crowds, I would find that difficult. I want to see things on my vacation and not spend a lot of time getting between places. It was also great to have Cherry tell us about the history and story of the various places we visited while we were at the site. I have traveled with my travel books and maps and it can be done on your own but it is great to not be looking back and forth from the book.

A guide is such a treat and Cherry is a great guide.

Feb 6th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Thanks so much for giving us more detail about youor time with Cherry in Thailand. You saw a lot, and the arrangement worked well for you. I can't remember anyone else having a guide that went all over Thailand with them, so this info is useful for making recommendations to others.
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:34 AM

kathie...cherry offered to go other places with us in thailand, but we declined as our other destinations were largely for relaxation.....i think that is definately a plus, however....

i don't remember how she handles the air fare, but the price must be folded in somehow...

she does charge more than some of the other guides, but i think that the product she offers is superior in many respects....all of the drivers/guides have their own unique style and we love them all individually for this variety....
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:53 PM

ttt

Search this Thread