Pnom Penh and then Ho Chi Minh- ideas?

Feb 16th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Pnom Penh and then Ho Chi Minh- ideas?

I have a total of about 3 and a half weeks in SE Asia. The first 15-16 days will be Thailand and Siem Reap. Was planning to take the boat from Siem Reap to Pnom Penh. Anybody done this? comments on boat? I shold have about 5-6 days left for Vietnam where I fly out of Ho Chi Minh. What is best way from Pnom Penh to HCM? Know I don't want to spend the entire time in HCM as I have not heard great things. Any ideas for an itenerary for a 3 day trip from HCM? Beach or rural area?
Feb 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM

From all I have heard, the boat trip from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh is not too good; we hired a car w/driver for this trip (in reverse direction). I do recomend the boat from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc, Viet Nam.

We really enjoyed our time in Chau Doc and the Mekong Delta. There are several overland options for travel from Chau Doc to HCMC; we hooked up with a tour group for the day to get us from HCMC to Chau Doc, which gave us transportation and a day of touring (including lunch) for $13 each.

It would seem that you have time for this side trip to The Delta.

Feb 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM

I agree with tatersalad, forget the SR-PP boat. If you don't want to hire a car and driver there are perfectly good buses.

The boat trip from PP-Vietnam, on the other hand, is worth doing. I found the Mekong very hot and humid, and would vote for time at the beach at Mui Ne rather than 3 days in the delta, but the delta will be more interesting. Since you'll see some delta on the way to HCMC if you take the boat, you could do a day trip from HCMC to visit the Cu Chi tunnels and the Cao Dai temple (don't miss the temple) and then go to the beach.
Feb 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM

The boat used to be the main way to travel since the roads were in such bad shape. It cost around $20-25 for a trip which for most part is boring. You have the choice of sitting inside with cool a/c, load music to drive you batty and dirty windows that are hard to see out of. Or you can sit outside and get burned and wet but see more. And once outside it is near impossible to get back inside.

The best bus is the Mekong Express is the best with 3 buses a day. Cost is $9 and they will pick you up at your hotel if you call them. The bus is quite nice with good seats, a/c and a toilet. Takes around 5hrs (the same as the boat) over a good road with one stop along the way.

If you are not interested in the boat from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc and then onward to HCMC, you can take a bus directly. Again the Mekong Express is best. Takes around 6 hours, including the hour border formalities and cost $12. Scheduled runs are at 6:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. and they will pick you up at your hotel. The bus is large, comfortable and air conditioned .
Feb 16th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

It sounds like it will take two days to travel from PP to HCMC, due to the stop in Chau Doc, But that Chau Doc could be interesting to stay in. Alternatively, I can go directly from PP to HCMC by bus in 6 hours By skipping Chau Doc?
Has anyone been to Dau Phu Quoc. That is a vietnamese Island due south of Pnom Penh. Is it nice and how could I get there directly from PP? Might make sense to go to the beach there and then on to HCMC?