Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Mekong Delta to Siem Reap via Phnom Penh overland

Old Sep 27th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the last part of our trip that I have to get sorted out. I had originally planned on visiting the Mekong Delta overnight, returning to Ho Chi Minh, then flying to Siem Reap the next day but I don't really want to backtrack to Ho Chi Minh. I know I can get a taxi or bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap so that's not a problem, it's the bit before that I have the problem with. There's an express boat from Bau Choc to Phnom Penh but how do I get there. Is there a tour that goes from Ho chi Minh to Bau Choc? Does an express boat to Phnom Penh leave from anyother place? Is this too complicated should I just do an organized overnight tour to the Delta from Ho Chi Minh and go back to my original plan of flying to Siem Reap from there. Has anyone done an overland trip ti Siem Reap from Ho Chi Minh, if so how long would it take and how can I organize the trip..
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There should be info on how to do this on talesofasia.com. Plus you should be able to book a tour including the boat ride to PP in Saigon.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks thursdaysd, I checked out the rate on the sinhcafe website and they offer a 2 day 1 night trip to Phnom Penh from Saigon for an absurdly cheap price 48US$ I'm thinking the hotel won't be up to much but compared to other travel places who are asking 300US$ it looks like a good deal. Has anyone done this trip with sinhcafe?
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 02:51 PM

I did it with Delta Adventures back in 2002. Also cheap. Hotel not up to much but bearable for one night. Sinh Cafe (if it's the genuine article - there are MANY imitators) should be a small step up.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Thursdaysd, did you have luggage when you did the trip we'll have 2 medium sized suitcases and I can see there's quite a lot of moving around on buses and boats and we have to take our luggage with us. Also was the trip worth it, would you do it again?

I know there are fake sinhcafe places but I think we have the original one the website is www.sinhcafevn.com and the address in Saigon is De Tham St. They also have offices in Hanoi, Hue and Hoi An so I was thinking I'd wait until we get to Vietnam and book the mekong trip directly at the office in Hanoi, do you think this would work out.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 12:05 AM

A link to a travelfish post re Sinh Cafe impostor website (there are many!)http://www.travelfish.org/board/post...fe-website----
If it sounds too good to be true then it may well be..
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 01:35 AM

I had my usual luggage complement: one backpack (weighing around 22 lbs) and one day pack (weighing 6-8 lbs depending on electronics). The transfer from the little boats used to sight-see the fish farms (totally missable - think industry not scenic) to speed boats would have been difficult with anything big - but the set up may have changed since then.

I thought crossing the border by water, and seeing the total change in scenery on either side worthwhile, personally, I wasn't so keen on the delta tour, but lots of people like it.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

So maybe I should send them a mail and ask about the luggage because we will definitely have to take it with us.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 02:45 AM

Wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

I've sent them a mail so I'll see what they reply. With these tours there doesn't seem to be a middle of the road option, you either go with sinhcafe at 39US$ or another agency that charges at least 300US$ I'm thinking it will be difficult with the luggage on the sinhcafe tour as they really do cater mostly for backpackers but we'll see.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 10:57 AM

Generally, I think you are better off to book once you are in HCMC. You may be able to get more of a feel for the company in person.

The Lonely Planet warns about very low priced tours in VN... apparently agencies have to compete so on price that the lowest priced tours cannot deliver what they promise.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Kathie, you're right but as I said there's no middle of the road prices, or at least I can't find any, we could wait until we are in HCMC but we only have a 2 days there & one day we plan on visiting the Cao Dai temple und the Chi chu tunnels so ideally I would want this part of the trip to be sorted before we leave if possible. We could do the Mekong Delta tour separately and backtrack to Saigon and fly to Siem reap but we would lose out on Phnom Penh and as we have 2 nights to spare I think it would be a shame to miss out on this. Of course the main problem is that this is a very very last minute trip as we leave in 10 days time on the 8th of October so it's all a bit manic but we'll get there in the end even if it means hitchhiking to Siem Reap now that's a thought. LOL
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Another option would be to contact one of the VN travel agencies that have been recommended here - Vietnamstay or Tonkin Travel and see what they propose. I'm guessing that might get you a middle of the road quote.

Better than hitchhiking!
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 03:15 PM

Definitely try to get to PP. Worst case there should be a bus from Saigon, but boat would be more interesting. Did you check talesofasia.com? I'm pretty sure you can now do the boat route independently.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 03:29 PM

We took the Sihn Cafe tour to the tunnels & the Cai Dai Temple and were satisfied. Upon our return we made arrangements for the next day to take a trip to the Delta with them, however, since we already had pre-booked a hotel in Can Tho for 3 nights, they allowed us to take the first part of the tour to the typical touristy sites - all the factories (coconut candy, rice paper, the boat ride, etc) and they dropped us at our hotel at the end of the first day.

There was no problem in carrying on suitcases. We each at a 22" rolling suitcase and a backpack. There were others continuing on the same tour the next day and they may have been traveling on to Cambodia. You should have no problem taking luggage.

This is certainly a viable option over the very expensive private tours of the Delta. It gave us an opportunity to meet other travelers and to compare travel notes and experiences.

It sure seems like a better option to go through the Delta than to back track to Saigon.