Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How to decide? Re Mekong Delta and Saigon

Nov 16th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

We will be in HCMC late 23 December and intended to spend a couple of days seeing the city and sights there. Then my plans had been to go on a 2 day tour of the Mekong Delta and then the third day go by boat (and bus I think) on to Phnom Penh.

However, we also don't want to arrive to PP exhausted and unable to make the most of our one full day there.

Should we stick with the original plan, which includes a tour with Delta Adventures? They have told me by email that they will do a private tour for the of us for 400.00, including hotels and transportation. Or, should we instead stay in HCMC and simply do day trips here and there? That option would mean transportation by bus to PP and possibly a slightly earlier arrival time in PP.

Advice anyone?

Thanks in advance. You all are wonderful
Nov 17th, 2006, 01:14 AM

Would going by bus from HCMC to PP, after two day trips (two hours traveling each way to the My Tho tour on the Mekong, for example), be any less exhausting than the three day adventure?
Nov 17th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

See, that is exactly my problem. I don't see any of it as any easy option.

And there is the fact that when we vacation we really actively tour. I love seeing new things, love seeing the children's faces when they see new things, and I get a real kick out of going and doing.

Maybe we'll just take it relatively easy the 24th adn 25th so that the Mekong trip isn't as overwhelming.

How bouncy is the bus trip? Is it better to simply go by boat?

Thanks!
Mary
Nov 17th, 2006, 05:19 AM

We have a somewhat similar plan for January. Our thinking is to travel overland from HCMC to Chau Doc where we will spend a couple of days and then take a boat to PP from there. I think that the boat is about 4-5 hours from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh.
Nov 17th, 2006, 05:46 AM

I've done a Delta Adventures delta tour (the regularly scheduled group tour), finishing with the boat to Phnom Penh. I didn't find it particularly exhausting, although it was hot and sticky. I spent a lot of time sitting on a boat, which isn't very tiring. I haven't done the bus trip, so I can't comment on the state of the road.
Nov 17th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Thursdaysd. I guess that is what I needed, someone who had done it and could say they didn't feel slammed through a series of tour group stops.

Thanks everyone!!
Nov 17th, 2006, 01:55 PM

I had the same problem in my planning. In the end, I simply threw my hands in the air, surrendered, and did a HCMC to Siem Reap 7 night cruise up the Mekong and Tonle Sap Rivers with www.pandaw.com . It was the best decision I ever made. The cruise was without doubt absolutely faultess, the food on board was amazing, and the on-shore excursions took me places most travellers don't or can't easily get to.

I have some pics at http://jmpr.photium.com/ and if you search Fodors, you'll find my trip report.
Nov 17th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

John,

Your photographs are wonderful! I'm going to go search for that trip report, but WOW! Thanks for the sharing the beauty.

Unfortunately, we don't have the week to invest in a cruise. However, it is going on my wish list of future things to do.

Mary in Korea
Nov 17th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Another is here:

http://www.independenttraveler.com/t...?ID=258&page=1