Going to Thailand For Songkran :)

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Thailand For Songkran :)

Hi everyone. I'm going to Thailand in mid April for Songkran. I heard its alot of fun but like a sauna over there! We had a nice time being there back in October, but the wedding really kept us too busy for us to do very much, so it feels good to go back again. The food is so wonderful there (Thailand is much better when you have a live-in Thai tourguide! We eat the best Thai food when there (real Thai, not tourist-Thai!).

If anyone has been the Thailand for Songkran, please let me know how it was and what you did that was especially fun or not so fun.
Regards,

Kurt
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:09 PM

What part of Thailand will you be in. Each region celebrates it differently.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 01:39 AM

Here in Chiang Mai it is probably celebrated most widely and wildly!

We generally shut ourselves into the house until it goes away or go off to somewhere sane like Hong Kong.

If you are driving afoundtowns or cities keep the doors locked or you will find yourself with a lap full of water.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:37 AM

Hi
personally I think Songkran is a nightmare. Forget any twee notions of a polite sprinkling of water - it's war, it's mayhem, it's hosepipes, dustbins full of water on the back of jeeps for waterfights in the roads, ice poured down your back, water pistols. Some flour mucky stuff smeared on your face (I swear that once they'd put chillis in, it stung so much after).There's no mercy. If you're in a tuktuk or on a motorbike you're easy meat. If you're walking on the road, you're easier. If you're foreign, you're the easiest.
Prepare to be drenched, have plenty of spare clothing, wrap up your electronics in plastic bags. I remember in Chiang Mai, they used the ditch water to pour on you. gross. And you're supposed to be very nice and polite about getting drenched in smelly water.
A laugh for a day, but 3-4 days (or longer in some areas) I personally hated it. I usually get out of SE asia for Songkran now.
sorry to sound so grumpy.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 03:25 PM

2 years ago, my then 17 year old daughter (after working in Chiang Mai for 3 months)ended up in L-P for sonkram...and it was wonderful and we had a blast. no one anywhere threw water on us unless we "asked for it". Everyone was clearly having fun and took greatdelight in 2 Western women asking to be drenched! At one point,I was walking alone and passed a group of
teens dancing under a carpoint. 3 girls crossed the street and via hand signs asked if they could drench me. I smiled and pointed to the camera in my hand and without a moment's hesitation, oneof them raised her arms over her heard. We all laughed,Idid that and welcome theopportunity to cool off....all hose water. Even better for my daughter who found out where to go for the big water guns. The Laos loved the fact that she had so much fun.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! It sounds like a lot of fun as long as they don't throw any skanky water on you. I was told to avoid Bangkok at all costs so we will be in Isaan (Khon Kaen) for Songkran this year.

I will have to wrap my videocamera in saran wrap when we do go out and about!

Again, thanks for your inputs!!

Kurt
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:13 PM

We just watched the Thai movie, 'The Protector' and part of it takes place during Songkran, the movie makes it look like of fun for adults and kids alike, but all my friends say you have to be careful where you go!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:19 PM

The water isn't only "skanky" it often comes from the moat or some other untreated source and can be dangerous. A friend of our's ended up drinking a little, he was drinking from a beer can that got drenched, and was ill for several days.

Each yesr several motorcyclists are killed or injured from having buckets of water thrown at them as they ride past.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Songkran is the most fun party anywhere. I'll be there.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:09 AM

I asked this same question before I went last year during Songkran. Most of the replies were "don't go!"
Well, we went (to BKK and Phuket) and had no problems at all. I think you can avoid being doused with water if you want. Or, if you want to join in, you can do that too.
We watched the water festivities from a distance and never once got wet, but that was my choice.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:38 AM

When we were there the kids sort of asked first which we didn't mind and it was always out of water pistols or the like. Once when we on the way to a special restaurant we said no and they just laughed and ran away.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies!
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:42 AM

A quick question as I will be in Bangkok until the early a.m. of Sat April 14th. Is there a specific day this all happens or is it over a few days?. We are planning to be out and about on Friday 13th, we would like to be prepared if necessary!!.

Thanks Jane
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Jane- Songkran goes from 11 to 17 in Bangkok.

Update: I've decided to bail on going to Thailand for this April. We realized we've been going too often and need to wait until December, much to my not liking it!

Kurt
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 04:02 PM

It should be noted that Bangkok practically empties out during Songkran. Yes, there's still people tossing water about here and there, but in general, Bangkok is the quietest place to be.

If you are in Bangkok and want full-on mayhem, then Khao San is the place to go.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM

MichealBKK- As we would like to do some shopping on our last couple of days in Bangkok (12/13th April), and you said that Bangkok is "quiet", does that mean that shops and businesses close?

Also I have an unrelated question for you. Can you advise us as to how to tip in Bangkok, ie. taxi drivers and restaurants Is their a percentage that would be good to work with?? Each country is so different and we want to do the right thing.

Thanks again for you help
Jane
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 04:42 PM

As for tipping, tip the taxi driver left over change. So if the bill is 35 baht and you have 2 20's just give it and say thank you. If they have not been helpful give them the flat rate. Make sure they run with the meter on. Some will try to take advantage of you. As for restaurants. Play the bill with cash or credit card, but tip with only cash. Depending on the price leave 20-100 baht, no more.