Ho Chi Ming to Siem Reap by bus

Feb 5th, 2019, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Ho Chi Ming to Siem Reap by bus

We do not want a night bus so are looking at 2 different day buses. On 12 Asia travel site. One is Mekong Express 07.00 to 20.00. Price is 650,000 vnd and the other is Ho Chi Ming Kumbo4 from 07.10 to 21.10 for 630,000 and.
Has anyone on here used either and if so any reports would be good to hear about. The 1 hr. And 20,000 and difference is not a concern. Is the border crossing easier on one than the other .
Warrsher
Feb 5th, 2019, 06:09 AM

Long ride, and looks like you're skipping Phnom Penh? I liked PP and would recommend a stop. The first time I went that route I took a boat from Can Tho to PP - very interesting seeing the change at the border. The second time I flew to PP and took a bus on from there. The border guards for the boat trip were slow, but there was only a handful of us.
Feb 5th, 2019, 10:10 AM

Good decision not to go by night bus in either Vietnam or Cambodia - especially if getting there alive is a priority!

Like thursdaysd, I would definitely include Phnom Penh if you have the time. If so, a bus to Chau Doc and then boat to PP is a great option. I can let you have more info if interested.

If not, I have used Mekong Express on the PP to SR route and they were very good. Comfortable and for Cambodia, we had a pretty decent driver.

I have crossed at many of the border points into and out of Cambodia and they are all much the same - chaotic and corrupt. At most they will insist on an “admin/processing/express fee” ( a bribe to you and me), I have argued the point and, on one occasion, even got through without paying it, but that is rare. The going rate is $1-5 US. Bus drivers and boat captains seem to be in on the act and get a cut.