Cambodia questions

Search

Cambodia questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cambodia questions

Hey everyone, I am planning a trip to thailand and cambodia in about a month. Thailand, i've been to before, but i've never been to cambodia. Im having trouble finding info on how to get from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh. I am planning (tentatively)to bus from BKK to Siem Reap. But i really want to go to PP too. Any advice? I have about a week and of course, cheaper is better.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 02:27 AM

If I remember correctly, you can get the 5(?) hour ferry along the Tonle Sap (?spelling) but I have heard it can be crowded and sometimes breaks down. Alternatively, Siem Reap Air has a plane which is about 40 mins (i think). I did this when I was there.
I am sure the ferry will be fine and cheap so if you are not pushed for time....
Having been to both, if you had to cut PP from your Cambodian visit, it would not be a disaster - I was a little disappointed but I have to say that the prison and killing fields trips will be with me for ever. The other landmarks were a little disappointing.

However, Angkor W. is truly spectacular.

Have a great time!
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 07:23 AM

Here's the best website for information on travel to and around Cambodia. It's a non-commercial site. Gordon gives specific info on land transport that will keep you away from scams that waste your time and money: www.talesofasia.com
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 08:50 AM

The road between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh was improved greatly in 2004 and it is now possible to take a bus for the now fairly comfortable ride. Most buses leave around 7-7.30, cost $4 and take around 51/2 hours. However the best bus - Mekong Express - leaves at 12.30 and cost $2 more and even has a toilet on it. While the boat used to be the only option at $22-25, it has been replaced by the bus as the preferred way to go, that is unless you really like boat trips.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 05:28 PM

I'll second checking out the tales of asia site and taking the bus , we took the mekong express bus in December and it left around 7.30/8.00 am in the morning and it was comfortable trip