Please comment on day trip itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am engaging Tong to take us on a day trip out of Bangkok.
I told her my interest is the floating market, elephant trekking and the tiger temple with a 6 am start.
She emailed me the following itinerary (her words)
Meet up at 6 am.
- Passing Salt Field
- Local Temples (Optional)
- Benjarong Factory
- Floating Market
- Handicraft Factory.
- The Bridge over the River Kwae.
- Krasae Cave.
- Elephant Ride.
- Feeding Monkey (If they're still waiting for us) (Optional)
- Tiger Temple.
- Bangkok.

Looks like a very long day.
What do you think?
The temples are 'optional', so I will strike them out.
I am curious why she included the factories. Why aren't they 'optional'? Are they worth visiting? Or are they included for other reasons? I am inclinded to strike them out, or should we leave them in.

Any general comments about the itinerary appreciated.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:05 AM

Way way too much for one day- remember this is BKK- hot and humid- take it easy- you can't do all of that in one day- you will burn out.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:35 AM

She is simply adivisng you of all the possibilities of things to see along the way. It's up to you to strike the things that don't interest you. Some people like to cram it all in; some like to go at a leisurely pace. Since she doesn't know you (yet) she will just give you all the options then let you decide what works for you.

Usually when she says "optional" she means these items are a bit out of the way, so unless you are keen on seeing them, they are something to be omitted.

Perhaps a quick email to her to tell her how much you want to cram in, what your primary interests are, then she can help you pare it down.

Regardless, you will enjoy your day with her.

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 06:13 AM

Please do not question Tong's intentions at all. She is simply giving you an idea of the activities and places that are possible to do and see in Bangkok.

You shouldn't pick everything from the list, just choose the things most interesting to you and the people in your group. She definitely does not receive any type of 'bonus' from taking you to the factories. She is just trying to show you some different kind of local places that are off the beaten track.

We went to the Handicraft factory on our tour and it was short stop that was pretty cool. Buying things were expensive but we were taken there to take pictures of some of the beautiful pieces. Never once did she tell us to buy anything, or even that anything was for sale. It is just Tong's way of giving you a taste of Bangkok. If it doesn't interest you, please just tell her.

Also, if there are things you would like to do that aren't on her list, she is very flexible. I was really interested in visiting an orphanage in Thailand and Tong arranged everything for me. I posted a report on my trip, search Tour With Tong in Bangkok.

Hope this helps ease your mind. I understand your concerns, but we had a fantastic time with Tong and I assure you that you will have an incredible time.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 09:49 AM

i don't know what happened to my reply from last nite, but it is gone...

we did a similar trip with ratt last year...it took 13 hours...we did not however do the tiger bit...

neither of the two optional places would be a waste of time and you could make a quick stop at each....craig loved the benjarong factory based on his report...

it will be a very full day...
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Obviously I read her too literally - 'optional' versus 'compulsory'(!!) which got me a bit perplexed.
The reason I hire a private driver is to avoid being herded around.

I note what BillT say about it being way too much for a day, and rhkkmk gives me some perspective - 13 hours.

I do really want to see the tigers and trek with the elephants, so I will pare it down. I'll ditch the bridge as no one here seems particularly enthralled by it.

If craig and rhkmk think the benjarong factory is worth a stop, we might ask for a quick look, especially if we are passing by the place anyway. (I was hoping someone could tell me whether that is the case - I suspect that was the reason why Tong included that as part of the itinerary).

And should she be as good as some here say she is, I would tip her handsomely.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 01:17 AM

The Benjarong Factory is 5-10 minutes from the floating market and it is right on the way. It is not a big place and the "tour" will take about 15 minutes, if that. If you plan to buy or order some pieces as we did, count on spending more time there.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:33 AM

Yes I think you are right in skipping the bridge tour- unless you are a history buff and have a real interest in it.