thailand advice

Search

thailand advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thailand advice

can anyone recommend any restaurants in bangkok, koh samui, hua hin and chiang mai and any trips they would recommend in these destinations. thank-you x
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 02:17 AM
agent101

Thailand in general offers one of the tastiest cuisines in Southeast Asia so you'll never go wrong from hawker food outlest to fine dining... In Bangkok for budget dining - hawkers especially in the Central area for mid-range budget - Noodi is fine if you want Thai noodle treats, the diners in the malls are also good for high-end, you can try the restaurant along Silom Road, near Banyan Tree... it's a big restaurant but i cant remember the name though (sorry... thai names are long) or you can try Anna's Cafe in Silom area as well.

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:43 AM

There are dozens of posts on this board listing excellent restaurants in Bangkok. Do a search. There is also a post form jkgourmet reviewing a number of CM restaurants.

Do a search and review some recent posts about all of these destinations for ideas about day trips. Then you'll be able to ask more specific questions. You've given us little to go on - we don't know your interests or how long you'll be in each place.

Some of my current favorite restaurants in Bangkok: The China House at the Oriental Hotel for Peking Duck, Mahanaga, LanaThai at Face.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:53 AM

we are over cautious, but we never eat street food in thailand or any of the other places that you mention...we figure why run the risk of getting ill when you are on vacation...

there are too many other good places to eat...

look carefully at the street restaurant/hawker outlets...what is their facility for cleanliness/cleaning up/washing dishes and utensils...we have seen horror shows in this regard...

i have compiled a listing of bangkok restaurants which i will send you if you wish....granted most are a bit upscale, but not 100% ask at:

[email protected]

as far as koh samui is concerned i have two favorites:

along the coast road heading south from ch. beach town on the left side at the top of a hill is the cliff restaurant which is great..

the seven island restaurant on the other side of the island is excellent also....it is not far from the meredien hotel..

in bophut, the happy elephant restaurant and almost next door is the ___--- star restaurant....both are good and reasonable...

in hua hin the following are on our list for this fall: Let's Sea which is very close to the hyatt hotel....la villa for italian and the supatra restaurant in a resort of the same name..
have a good trip...the eating is fantastic and very reasonable..
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 06:28 AM
agent101

to rhkkmk: sorry a newbie here... looks like simple opinions are not welcome.

I just think immersing yourself to the REAL thing in one country can make you have the feel of the culture.

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:50 AM

hi agent,

greetings. all opinions are welcome here, even differing ones. that's the beauty of the board: people share their experience and passion, and then let it go.

as a reader of the board, i like when people post different ideas on how to structure an itinerary or where to eat; it helps me make a more informed decision.

best wishes and keep posting.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 09:33 AM

agent 101--simple options are very welcome, but we (my wife and I) find that we would never want to take a chance with tainted food or food preparation....for this very reason we avoid buffets, except at breakfast...we have always geared up too much for our trips, put out too much money for the trip, and want to insure that we do not suffer from any intestonal disorders to eat at street places and risk the whole rest of our trip...

i have often told the story of the mulitple of raw chickens i saw sitting out in the heat, in a non a/c area, at the rear of the shangri-la hotel for over an hour...so it is not only at the so called local places that you have to be careful....

i also am not sure that "local", "real" descriptions are any more valid and trully real than are other options listed here and elsewhere...i think the terms are often overused and misleading quite honestly...statements like, "we don't stay at the international chain hotels, we want to stay in a real 'thai' place..." are nonsense quite honestly...the real thailand is what you see and live today, not what you think it is or was...imo..

fodors is a totally open forum that should appeal to all and offer all levels of service and quality....we have readers in every one of those categories from the most lux to the most simple...it is a sharring of ideas and experiences...
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:50 AM

I can think of at least two pretty nice restaurants in Thailand that laid me up. In contrast, I have never gotten sick from a hawker. At least with a hawker, there is nothing hidden and if you aren't comfortable with sanitation you can walk away. With a sit down restaurant, you are only assuming adequate sanitation practices because of the greater investment in the surroundings. Not to suggest that one is better than the other, just that it isn't necessarily black and white. There are more than a few tasty dishes that are only available at hawkers.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:19 AM

chiguy, the things you should worry about the most in terms of food preparation is the hand-washing practices of the person preparing the food. That's how one contracts Hep A and typhoid. You can't see that by looking at the food or the person preparing the food. I do feel more confident that hand washing occured if there is a restroom in a facility, though, obviously it isn't a guarantee.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Kathie
I certainly agree that handwashing is a concern, but I don't understand how you are more comfortable with someone you can't see over someone that you can. At any rate, I'm not suggesting that one is better than the other; just offering a counter to a point of view to completely bypass hawkers. And that my personal experience is restaurants 2, hawkers 0.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 01:00 PM

I'm more comfortable knowing that there are toilet and handwashing facilities readily available. I have to say that in over 20 years of visiting SE Asia, I've never gotten sick in Thailand. So whatever superstitious behavior I'm engaging in, it works! And you've found what works for you.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:24 PM

I have been travelling to Asia for the past 30 years including 9 times to Thailand. I have eaten in 5 star places and at street stalls and the only time I got sick was on the plane coming home!
Take into consideration the different opinions of posters, make up your own mind and above all enjoy tour holiday!
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Sorry, that should be your holiday.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM

I agree that there are too many in Bangkok to recommend but havinng returned from 5 dinners there I should suggest the China House at the Oriental Hotel if you like Peking Duck. even if you have never had it I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
But, unlike many places for 35-50USD for 2 in a nice place the China House for a soup to share a soup (pass on the spring roll, only o'k) and with a drink or glass of wine each it will cost $75-80 with tax/service. But, it will be a memorable meal. In chiangi Mai we found no stand-outs but House and the Whole Earth were good dinners.
I agree check the thread for more.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:39 AM

chicasia.com for Bangkok....Happy Travels!