Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

3 vegetarians off to Thailand - will we starve?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three out of the four of us travelling to Thailand are octo-lavo vegetarians (will eat cheese, drink milk and eat eggs but no seafood or items made with fish/meat stock). Will we find it difficult to eat? I have read fruit must be peeled and veggies cooked but I am sure most of the cooked veggies will have some sort of meat contact (I know it sounds over the top but hey that's the way we are).

We plan to bring some nuts, bean soups and protein bars but I was wondering how much we will have to rely on that. I would love to experience Thai cuisine but without all the animal components.

Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:05 PM

You should be able to find vegetarian food. Note that the greatest difficulty will be finding things that are not seasoned with fish sauce. You'll find vegetarian foods at almost all restaurants (although if you object to your rice and veggies being cooked in the same kitchen as meat and fish it won't work for you). There are also vegetarian restaurants, especially in Bangkok. If you do a search, you'll find a number of recommended vegetarian restaurants.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:49 PM

Many Thais are vegetarian, as are many Indians in Thailand. You will have no problem finding vegetarian food that will probably be much better than what you are used to. Don't be afraid to ask the locals for restaurant advice.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:51 PM

you will do just fine, plus you will find all kinds of bars, soups etc available in thailand---in cities anyways...
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:52 PM

and if not, the 4th can tell you how good everything is that they are eating....

its a shame what you will miss...
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

I don't know why I didn't think of googling "vegetarian Thailand" (I am a habitual googler). Once I did there were lots of restaurant recommendations and the translations for "no meat, no fish sauce" etc.

Looks like we'll be okay.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:18 AM

Tamarind Cafe...Suhumvit, soi 20. I was just there on Saturday and eat there when I'm here in town. They have a website. Get off at either Asok or Phrom Phong skyrain station and then a short walk. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 02:54 AM

My son is vegetarian and has been to Thailand many times, he eats very well there.
I don't eat red meat and sort of understand the thought behind the meat contact but there are times when you might have to push those thoughts away .. you can think the same way in a restaurant in the US if you want to get yourself crazy

Thai noodles dishes and veggies make me happy
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 03:11 AM

I'm not sure how well this works in Thailand, but my Former Beloved was always able to communicate beast-free meals in Hong Kong and Japan by asking for "Hindu" -- that concept seemed to be well understood.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 05:59 AM

Actually, whe I suggested you search, I meant for you to search on this Fodors site... the box near the top of the page.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 06:21 AM
Jed

You say no seafood, but do you eat fish?

I am kosher at home, but when I travel I say that I am a vegetarian. Makes it easier for others to understand. I had no nore problem in Thailand than at home, being careful to observe the menu and asking questions as necessary.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 03:36 PM

One slight caution about getting vegetarian food in regular Thai restaurants - most Thai chefs can cook veg. since they have to during the annual veg. festival, but this means they generally interpret vegetarian to mean "Chinese" vegetarian. This means not only no meat - or dairy - but also no onions, garlic or any related plant.

Needless to say, it can be a bit dull.