phuket/gpanda

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phuket/gpanda

Hi Gpanda, I think it sounds like you have similar tastes to mine in terms of accomodations . Between Mon Tri Boathouse and Le Meredian, which do you recommend or what are the differences?
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Hi again travelgirl72
Maybe I can help here too. I just spent last week at Le Meridien Yacht Club, but assume you're looking at the La Meridien Beach Club. As everyone on this board will tell you, the first thing to do is choose the beach you want to be at depending on how much "action" you're looking for. The Le Meridien Yacht Club was a really nice spa with a great beach and really friendly, helpful on the ball staff. I can't think of anyone I wouldn't recommend it to, with the exception of maybe singles looking for the club scene every night and daytime party beach. We were very impressed by the service we were given. It's on Nai Harn beach which is a good half hour drive from the hot spots of Patong, but easily accessible by taxi. If you want to have lots of night life, but not the electricity of Patong, the Meridien Beach Club might be good for you, It's roughly two beaches closer to the night life and is also closer to Kata Beach where Mom Tri is and there's a good amount of night life there as well. We went to Mom Tri's Boathouse for dinner and thought that that would be a fun area to stay in too. Your deciding factor may come down to what's available during your dates. Don't think you can make a wrong decision with either.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 03:18 AM

Travelgirl72-123go has covered the necessary information. The key is that you can't choose poorly between the two. The RMPYC is more isolated than Mon Tri's Boathouse. How important is easy access to night life versus a more secluded beach? There's no real way to make a fully informed choice. Don't agonize too much, just choose and be assured you'll enjoy yourself immensely. Do make sure that you eat at Mon Tri's Boathouse, wherever you stay.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:51 AM

Eat at BOTH of Mom Tri's restaurants! They are absolutely exceptional!! One is the Boathouse Grill, located at the Boathouse. The other one is Mom Tri's Kitchen, located at the Villa Royale, which is a short ride up the hill from the Boathouse.

I have stayed at the Boathouse, and I would recommend it, hands down. I've been to Le Meredian for a meal, and it was a very nice place as well (if you are talking about the one near Karon). I have not been to the Meredien Yacht Club location, so cannot comment on that one.

gpanda is right, that you will enjoy either one. The Boathouse "motto" is that it is a hotel for people who do not like to stay in hotels."

Carol
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

thanks all! I was thinking of the Yacht Club--we're a couple and after initial leg in Bangkok, will probably be ready for some downtime and quiet relaxation with stunning views. (we're visiting from NYC so hence the stress factor!).
I'm not too interested in nightlife since I've heard it can be quite tacky in Phuket. Right now leaning towards Meredien Yacht Club (sounds like a nice secluded beach) while visiting Mom Tri for meals!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 06:13 AM

as a casual observer and one time phuket visitor, we found yacht club's location to be beautiful but somewhat issolated....it is quite far from town although there are some shops and simple restaurants near-by...
did not visit at mon's or even see it...do know the area however...i think for R&R yacht would suit you well
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:36 AM

travelgirl72
The Yacht Club is at the far southern end of the island is is farther from other areas you may want to visit, but it is very easy to get to those other places. On our first day we found a taxi driver at the entrance to the hotel. Used him many times and he was pleasant, decent English and reasonably priced. I have his cell phone number somewhere if you're interested I can post it for you. He even brought us to scenic lookout spots to watch the sunset on the way to Patong for the evening. He'll wait while you have dinner or sightsee and bring you back whenever you want. So that makes the location no problem. There is also a (very) small shopping area for postcards, cold drinks and a couple of open air restaurants a very short walk away with good, very inexpensive Thai. The Yacht Club has a few restaurants which are very pretty and offers a nice relaxing breakfast with outstanding views. One thing not to miss out on is when you check in and get your room key card in a little envelope, make sure you look at the info in it. They put in a Buy one get one free spa treatment for your partner if booked within the first 24 hours of check in.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:45 AM

It is typically very easy to find a driver (for the day if you want) when you step outside many of the resort hotels around Kata and Karon beaches. I assume you can do the same at the Yacht Club. It is inexpensive to get a driver for the day, and not a bad idea if you want to explore more of the island than you will see at the Yacht Club.

You can do a taxi to either of Mom Tri's restaurants for dinner with ease. No need to get a driver for the day to do that.

I would recommend reservations made at least the day before, for Mom's restaurants, just to make sure you can get in.

Mom Tri's Boathouse is not on its own "private beach" but is on the southern end of Kata Beach. It is really quite pleasant!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 12:11 PM

The RMPYC is very relaxing. It's in a beautiful cove with a very restful view. Arranging transportation is easy and Mon Tri's Boathouse is about a 20 minute ride. If you stay at the RMPYC and visit MT's BH get them to show you a room. Also, have the RMPYC make reservations for you at MTBH.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 07:00 PM

If you go to Mom Tri's Kitchen, have them show you one of the Villa Royale villas or suites!!!!! AAAAHHHHHHHH now that's heaven!!