Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

A hotel similiar to le Meridien Resort in Phuket

Nov 15th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

The Le Meridien Resort in Phuket is fully booked for the end of November. I guess this is what happens since I procrastinated.

Can anyone suggest a hotel that is comparable to the Le Meridien. We really liked it b/c of all the extra activities that were available like rock climbing, etc. and the huge pool.

And we wanted to stay somewhere not too far from Patong in case we wanted to go out at nite.

Thank you.
Nov 15th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Unfortuanetly Le Meridien is so good for those who want to be right on the beach, quiet yet close to Patong and all the other advantages it's not at all easy to find something to compare.
Your options are going to Karon, the Karon beach Resort itself is the only one fully on the the beach( certainly not Le meridien standard ) you might have to look at far as the Kata Thani 'if' it is available.
The surprising thing to many is how few places 'are' actualy 'on the beach' unless you head to quieter areas.

Not saying that they could have rooms but who did you check with for Le Meridien? Nothing wrong with trying ( just in case ) with alternatives 'just in case' something is available.
You can try thru sawadee

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...uket/meridien/

and just do an enquiry, doesn't costs anything as thru sawadee so nothing to loose.

There is a great place to also find what actualy 'is' available on Asiaoz, they show actual rooms available, instant confirmation, you pay just 12% deposit and about USD 6 free and that's it, you are booked and all set, the balance you pay when you get to the hotel. http://www.asiaoz.com and click on the " last minue hotel rooms best rates available " banner

However, I just had a look thru 'testing' Nov 26th to Dec 4th as an example, Le Meridien didn't show at all. Quite a lot in Patong available like the Avantika ( USD 129 seaview ), Graceland ( USD 78 )and Club Andaman ( USD 115 )
The Amari Coral beach is at the far south end of Patong, over the bridge and hill ( USD 166 ), smallish pool, access to a small piece of beach.

At Kata Mon tris is showing 2 deluxe studios left ( USD 237 )

In general lower rated places have more availability than top range.

I would
1> Try again for Le Meriedien
2> If no luck considor staying away from Patong say at Mom Tri's and that is relatively easy to get to and from patong
3> If you really want to be close look at Graceland or Club Andaman in Patong ( Club Andaman Pool reasonable size )
4> How long on Phuket ? If a couple of weeks you can always split stay and then spend a few nigth in Patong.

Overall at this late stage I would perhaps go either for say Club Andaman or Graceland and be across from the beach in Patong or try Mon Tri's.
Nov 15th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you JamesA for your response, I was hoping you could help me out since you always have great suggestions.

We're looking for rooms for Nov. 28-Dec. 1. We don't need to be on the beach as we're not too strong of swimmers. We just want a hotel with a great pool and other options to do besides lounging by the pool/beach all day if we get bored.

I tried asiarooms.com and sawadee and both said that it was fully booked.

I'll look into Katathani. Sawadee Village is another big favorite on this board. Which one would you prefer between the two?

I'll look into Mom Tri's too. Thank you again for your help.

Nov 15th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Actauly in normal circumstances I would not normaly suggest this, but at this late stage ( and like most this is 'not' on the beach but acrosss the beach road ) The Hilton Arcadia is not bad value for that time of year at around Sea View USD 158-168
Another while thinking is along the road south of Patong between Patong and kamala and that is the Thavorn Beach Village, Ocean View Villa about 165.
Another is the Merlin Beach Resort.
Nov 15th, 2006, 09:27 AM

At this late stage I honestly would, instead of recommending places see what actualy 'is' available. Although I don't use within Thailand but have used for Singapore, KL etc, I would try Asiaoz and go to the rates To go section and put in Phuket for the dates you want, they will show exactly what 'is available' and also how many rooms, the fact you only have to pay 12% deposit is a bonus and you pay the rest at the hotel, they really are in my opinion great for within 20 days and you are within that period!
It really is where hotels tend to 'dump' ( sorry that doesn't sound good but I am sure you get the meaning ) their last remaining hotel rooms.
I will have a quick glance and see any that show up of interest.

Sawadee Village is in a fairly busy area set well back from the beach, let me have a quick look....
Nov 15th, 2006, 09:50 AM

You are in luck, some quite good ones available for those dates !! Now these are showing on asiaoz as available but some of the rates are higher then where I would look so I would try these:

Central Kata Resort ( I 'like this one' !) it used to be the Jiva Resort, on the road just behind the Club Med, 5 deluxe rooms left, that is showing as available on Asiaoz so I would try that and you could strike lucky, but their rate is higher than on Patong Beach Hotels sawadee site at just USD 89 for a twin with breakfast etc

http://www.patong-beach-hotels.com/k...ntralkata.html

Now, right on the beach at Kata and about the best location is the Kata Beach resort, these are not Merieiden level, but they show cheap on www.asiaoz.com last minute at USD 165, this is the place if you want to be 'right on the beach' as opposed to so many like Central (aka Jiva ) and sawadee Village that are 'not' on the beach, that one 'is' showing available now on Asiaoz.

At this stage I think Central kata at 89 would be good value amongst those not on the beach, but a walk, it's on the road behind Club med, or down on the beach itself at the Kata Beach Resort, bottom line is you are paying around 75 USD a night extra to be right on the beach, only you can decide on that !

Nov 15th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Wow, you're the best.. Thanks so much, I'll look into this.

It's strange, b/c after I read your initial message, I went back into asiarooms.com and they show the le meridien with prices of $98 per nite. I had initially tried to get the room at $188 per nite but they said it was full.