phuket hotels

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phuket hotels

Can anyone tell me about the Novotel and Le Meridian, good and bad?
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:55 AM

Firstly there are now 2 Novotels.

The Novotel Coralia is at the North end of Patong beach. It is 'not' on the beach, it is a very steep though short hill up into the Novotel as it is set on a hillside. Too far to walk to town, not on the beach, not that much going for it, there would be better options closer to the beach.

The other one is the Novotel Panwa, it's on the beach but is in the south east of the island which is not where the best beaches are.

le meridien, there are again 2, Le Meridien Yacht Club is at Nai harn in the south, used to be the Yacht Club resort, beach area fairly quiet.

probably though the meridien you are thinking of is Le Meridien beach resort which is situated just outside of Patong on the way to karon, now this is 'great'.
The best thing is that it is located in it's very own sandy cove, it is the only resort there so you have the entire beach frontage. It has lots of restaurantds and the pools are 'huge' and the grounds are right on the beach. This is a place I often recommend. It is close enough to patong when you want to go shopping, restaurants, entertainment but for location-location-location it is tough to beat.

If you can tell us if it's a couple, family or whatever and whether you want quiet or busy it helps a lot, there is a large choice of different beaches, hotels and resorts to choose from. Although I live elsewhere in Thailand now I lived on Phuket for quite a few years and go down every few months. The choice of places can get confusing so there more you feel like telling us the more ideas we can suggest.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. We are a 40ish couple who love to shop, eat well and stay out late---basically eat, drink, be merry. We also want to explore the natural beauty and learn as much as we can.
Now, the Novotel is on Kalim Beach Rd and Le Meridian is on Karon Nui. I also have a Marriott connection but it sounds much too Disneyish. I am also interested in visiting Phi Phi, but fear that early November weather would limit snorkeling visibility.
Any other help you can give would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:09 AM

The marriott although reputed to be very nice is very remote and it's a long way to nightlife etc, the beach location 'name' of where the Meridien is has been something new, it was always referred to in the 'old days' at patong, it's not Patong but very close, up and over a hill, much near to patong than to Karon.
Now the merieidn is very nice, but if you want to be 'closer' to lots of restaurants and entertainment and the liveliest resort area then Patong may suit you. Another option is Kata but Kata is a great deal quieter. Patong is by far the most lively and busy place, if that appeals to you perhaps the Club Andaman is worth a look. The Club Andaman is not the top level of le meridien but it's still very nice. It has the benefit of being just across the road from the beach and also is easy and interesting wander into the center, without being 'right in the center'. You can wander past streetside shops, restaurants etc, but without being right in the thick of things.

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...daman/details/

As far as getting out and about to Phi Phi etc the tour operators pick you up from all the hotels or resorts.
You can stay out late and still easily get back to le meridien but if you want to be within staggering distance the Club Andaman is a relaxed quality place that dare I say suits the 35-45 range, modern and nice and a good history, it's been around perhaps 12 years or more. Much better location than Novotel.
You can compare Club Andaman to le Meridien

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...idien/details/

Other good ones in Patong are the Thara Patong and the Patong Merlin.
If you don't mind being 20 minutes from the action ( although still find restaurants and some lively bars ) then kata and the katathani might be of interest, Kata Thani is a higer stanard overall with lots of facilities.
Choosing though whether to stay in the thick of entertainment and late life fun in Patong, a little away from the center such as Club Andaman, little further still overall Le meridien makes a good balanced choice of quality, great beach, and not too far from Patong.

November weatherwise should be fine, but the later in November the better.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Yet one more: any thoughts on the HOLIDAY INN?
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Holiday Innhas also been around years and years, it is opposite the beach and closer to the very center of Patong, I would say it's a good choice for families, very well managed place with good service, the beach there though will be about 50-70% busier than the beach opposite say Club Andaman. Nothing wrong with the HI but it does by nature attracts a large number of families indeed as it has a large number of special family and kids rooms. The Pool area is crowded and it fronts right onto the main road, so ok, but very crowded area, possibly no more than 4 to 5 mins walking nearer than say the Club Andaman but in different directions. The HI does have an additonal wing, the Busakorn Wing, but this is at the back onto the 2nd road.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Actualy I forgot to mention probably the best! That's the Impiana Cabana which is unique being right on the beach itself !!, it actualy probably hits the jackpot in that price range!!

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...abana/details/

That map on that page also shows lots of the others, HI, Club Andaman, Novotel etc, le Meridien is a few minutes past Phuket Simon which is noted at the bottom of the map, I don't know why it skipped my brain but if the price is OK the Impiana is a superb location right on the sands!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:03 AM

JamesA et al -- How would you compare the Allamanda Laguna Phuket to Le Meridien, Club Andaman or Kata Thani? We, the grownups, are in our 50s and are travelling with college age daughters.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:22 AM

They are in very different areas with different styles and locations.

First I always suggest decide 'which beach' area you wish to stay, although you can travel relatively easily from one place to another there is a big difference.

Example: Allamanda is in the Phuket laguna area together with other lux properties, there is not that much in the area.

Club Andaman totaly different as located in Patong beach which is the busiest resort area, busy on the beach by day, lively at night with more resturants, bars and shops than you probably imagine. Club Andaman is across the road from the beach, walking diatnce into the very busiest part of Patong but benefits from being one of the first large resort hotels and this has privided the ebefit of good location together with extensive grounds.

Le Meridien Resort is about 5-7 minutes outside the center of Patong, around the 'corner' and over a hill, it is situated in it's very own sandy cove, for this reason it's an excellent choice, not only the only place on that particular beach but the hills stretching up each side made it scenic wise very pleasant indeed, large and well managed, yet just that short distance into Patong. But you need transport in and out.

Kata Thani is at Kata beach, Kata is a lot quiter than Patong but still nice lively bars such as the Ocean beach Club, there are restaurants and although a quieter area it is not boring.

Ok- elimination time ! ( Purely my own opinion )

Elimate Allamanda for the sake of your daughters, it's too way off from anywhere else at all. If you are going all the way to Phuket then enjoy what Phuket offers.

Le meridien would be very nice for yourselves and all of you would enjoy the location. But the only downer is that you can't wander out of the resort and find places/things, you need to transport out as a long way to the main road and a hill.
I am thinking that your daughters might want to ( or yourselves ) wander away from your resort to do some shopping etc, or simply wander around.

Club Andaman would suit if you want to be busy area but across the road from the beach.

Kata Thani ( as so often ) really fits the bill for all of you, beach, good qaulity service and if your daughters want to head out then places nearby then easy.

I would go, based on your age combinations for Kata Thani for nice beach resort that should easily satisfy everyone.

Hope that helps. ( I am being over polite, being honest I see little reason to stay up Laguna way at all and unless you want to spend the whole time inside the resort I wouldn't bother)

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Wow - thanks so very much. I appreciate someone with a clear and informed opinion! I'm checking out Kata Thani right now.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:45 PM

I think that's a good choice, also do use the forum search as many recent reports and reviews

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...thani/details/

You can also take a look at others, if in your family discussions you wanted something in a busy and lively area take a look at the Impiana Cabana which is right on the beach in Patong
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:50 AM

James - You've provided lots of great information. What's your opinion on the Amari Coral Beach which is on the southern end of Patong Beach?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:15 AM

I very much believe each to their own and what one person can like another might not.
The way I look at suggesting is 'what does a place have going for it that makes it a good choice'
My 'personal' opinion is that I cannot honestly think on 1 thing going for the Amari that could make it into any top 10 of choices.
Sorry to be brutal but that's how I see it!
You probably won't see from the map but you go past central Patong, down the the very south end of the beach where there is a steep bridge that goes over an inlet to mountain area, to the left is Baan Yin Dee and Baan nern Sai, you go further up to the right and then cut down to the Amarai.
Within it is up and down to rooms and other areas. There are no shops around so anything outside means down and back up from Patong.
You can't walk there, you need a tuk tuk. The time distance to get there as opposed say to Le Meridien, well, a couple of minutes less, but that's all there is to it.

I suppose now you are going to say you are already booked !?

There is nothing 'bad' about it, but I don't see it as having any 'plus' points.

'Plus points I would give to others might be, as examples:

Impiana Cabana: Top marks for location right on the beach sands
Club Andaman: Long established, large grounds, although across road from beach close enough to center without being in the center, choice of hotel style or garden bungalows
Le Meridien: Superb on the beach in it's own cove, close enough to patong but unique in being on it's own beach.
H/Inn : Great for families and those wanting to be right in the thick of busy Patong opposite busy beach.
Thara patong: Close to nightlife and shopping, good 'calue for money'
Coconut Village: More basic, 3 star, short walk to nice part of the beach, nice pools, super value for money( that means 'cheap' for what you get ).
Dunagjitt: Ditto for Coconut
Avantika: Class boutique style at south end of beach, lovely decor/rooms

That's the kind of thing.

tell us time of year / budget / do you need to be walking distance for shopping/restaurants/nightlife, do you want busy and lively or quieter beach,

the more you can tell the more ideas close to what you want will come.

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Also decide if patong is the place for 'you'. Do note that what surprises 'many' is that there are not that many hotels/resorts on Phuket with 'absolute beachfront', i.e right on the beach with no road to cross. if that is important factor then tell us, it could be that Kata, Karon, Surin might suit you better.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Hi again James,

Beachfront is very important to my family. Although of course you've pegged my college age set correctly in that they might like access to Patong, we the parents are most interested in beach access! And we all like beautiful decor. The Katathani looks lovely - anything else you think has a comprable beach? A better beach?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM

I probaly need nothing more than my fingers to count up how many places are actualy 'on the beach' ( excluding those that are somewhat remote ).
In Patong nothing beats the Impiana Cabana for location, Le meridien has the great beach, then next down unless you count walking down a hillside at Karon you have just the 3 star Karon Beach Resort and the likewise rated Kata beach Resort.
See what the family feels about the Kata Thani, I really would put it at the top before then thinking about either Le meridien or Impiana, do remember the Impiana is bang in the center of Patong beach and although it's convenient to head to nightlife I don't really think you as parents would find it as pleasant as the Kata Thani.

If it's going out for a nice dinner and then perhaps a few drinks afterwards Kata has enough, the Beach Club Bar nbehind Club med is around a pool, gets loud late night.
Although patong is the center for nightlife things close up earlier than you might have been led to believe, it's around 2 am now in Patong and that is it(!)
Now, if your daughters/you are happy them heading back to kata ok, otherwise if you can forsake the availability of 'waling distance shops' then le meridien comes up high again.
The difference you have is that the kata Thani is very nice indeed but if you all would feel happier if your daughters head out knowing that they they are just 5-7 minutes by tuk tuk back to your hotel as opposited to a hilly perhaps 20 minutes journey, then Le Meridien is a good option. It's taller and not as spacious as the Kata Thani but is still 'very nice'.
Just up the hill a short way from the entrance to le meridien is Safari Pub, this is a popular late night jungly sort of club bar with music, drinks, so that is quite close.
You know your daughters, you obviously want to balance them having a good time with being 'sensible' about it.

Bottom line: if they are wanting to head out most evenings then I would go for le meridien, but if they are content with lively/friendly bars and music then Kata will suffice.

Le Meridien:

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...idien/details/

Impiana Patong beach:
http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...abana/details/

If you look at the map at the bottom of the Impiana details page you will see noted ' Phuket Simon Cabaret ' ( a muist see ! ), now imagine a short hill up from there, Safari Pub on the right, hill dips down and entrance to Le Meridien ( about 500 meters/yars ) down to the lobby area.
Same map shows the location of Impiana.

My feelings are now leaning really towards Le Meridien, but let everyone put in their views.

Simply: Le Meridien closer to lively Patong, but Kata Thani more spacious lay-out.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:36 PM

JamesA,

No, I haven't made a reservation at the Amari. I'm still doing my homework. We are 4 adults going in January for our first trip to Thailand. We don't need to be right on the beach, although a nice view would be good. Don't have to be right in the middle of Patong, although I think it would be nice if we were near something so that a tuk tuk isn't required for every outing. Other beach areas would also be OK.

I asked about the Amari becuase it looks great, gets great reviews and friends of ours stayed there a few months ago, enjoyed it very much and recommended it to us.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:47 PM

JamesA:

A little more about what we are looking for and what we will probably do with our time. Tour somewhere during the day, and then out for a nice dinner or entertainment in the evening. Budget for hotel up to $150.

Thanks again for your excellent advice.