Hotels in Phuket

Search

Hotels in Phuket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Phuket

I am heading to Phuket in November and I am trying to choose a hotel. Would love to be on the beach but is ok to be a few minutes walking distance. I am also choosing between Patong and Karon beach. Would love hotel recommendations on both beaches. Price range is $100-$120/night. Again, close to the beach. Any thoughts on Burasari?
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:57 PM

The first thin to do is choose beach area:-

Patong is a very busy, crowded, lively place, lots of bars, restaurants, discos, clubs and nightlife, shops and street stalls, busy areas to walk through to a very busy beach.

Karon beach is next one down, much quieter though you can easily get to Patong, except for Karon Beach Resort Hotel itself and steps down from the Central Karon you need to walk across the beach road, but this does mean that the long and wide beach is not packed out with car rental, bikes etc, so overall a nicer stretch of beach. Kata is next beach down, some nice restaurants etc.
There are lots of other beaches but these tends to be more quiet and further away from choices for shopping/restaurants etc.

My suggestion would be some of those places at Karon across from the beach such as the "Old Phuket Hotel", this is a real personal favorite, it is just a few minutes walk to the beach, restaurants around, only point is the pool is rooftop, but I think it is great because you get a sea breeze and great views. In November USD 78 gets to a Spa deluxe room ! including tax and breakfast etc, believe me, for that price it's a bargain:

http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...uket/pictures/

The photo from the roof of the beach is untouched and realistic so you can see how close you are. The spa is really a small jacuzzi but you can see from the pics.

USD 85 - 95 gets you the South Sea Karon, roughly same area:

http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...hsea/pictures/

The Wora Buri Resort and Spa is USD 92-105, but in November there is a promotion ! Pay 3 nights stay 4 nights, pay 5 nights get 6th and 7th free ( catch: you have to pay B 320, about USD 8 each for compulsory breakfast, but hey, that means a double room for USD 16 a night including breakfast for the 'free' nights so it's a great bargain !! )

Pictures:
http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...uket/pictures/

That promotion deal ( click at bottom to show USD conversion ):

http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...oraburiphuket/

Burasari is ok but as I said you need to decide beach first, think Patong=very busy and crowded, Karon less busy but very open area but with shops and restaurants nearby, Kata much quieter.
Old Phuket / South Sea / Wora Buri all just across the road from the beach.

www.patong-beach-hotels.com has ideas for Patong, also Kata and Karon etc.

I lived several years in Patong on Phuket, when I go back down I prefer Karon, but if you want to be walking distance to nightlife and stuff then Patong.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:02 PM

For around USD 140 the Karon beach Resort or Kata Beach Resort are both right on the beach, this is a rarity for that price.

For Patong take a look at the Thara Patong, Merlin, Patong beach Hotel, both modern style close to beach and right next to nightlife areas.
Also the Duangjitt and Coconut Village if you want more palm tree style places in Patong, both short walk to beach at south end of Patong but reasonable walking diatnce.

You can get to Patong from Karon in about 15 mins though if you want a night out.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

THis is great. Thank you for all your help. I am definitely leaning toward Karon. Old Phuket looks great as does the Wora Buri resort. I read many reviews of the Old Phuket and many great things were said except that it was far from many things. Do you know if Wora Buri is closer to Patong? As I am sure we will go at night - just not sure if I want to be there every day. Thank you again.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 09:49 PM

The Wora Buri and Old Phuket are along the same stretch, when people say far from things not sure I understand, it's a short tuk tuk ride at most to Karon Circle from where a street full of shops, restaurants, some bars etc, to get to Patong beach for nightlife is about 15 minutes and although fun to visit I am sure when there you willbe very glad your 'hotel' is in Karon, it has been built up just so much it it solid concrete, at Karon you get that huge wide open beach in front of you and far less touts etc during the day, also it is easy to walk back to your hotel for shower or whatever, Wora Buri and Sands beat Old Phuket on this as they are right on the beach road, the Old Phuket is an extra 3-4 minuteswalk back from the beach, again, that photo taken from the roof of Old Phuket is an honest untouched photos.
Remember that if you are going to be right on top of shops and bars and things you loose out on tranquility. Along the street of Old Phuket are plenty of restaurants some shops and bars. I can't tell you how many meters/years between Old Phuket and Wora Buri but I don't think I got out of 3nd gear. Therre are a few hotels right in the busy street of Karon but I know 'now' you will say 'glad we didn't book in 'this' area'!

I will give you another tip, don't set your heart on one particular plavce only to find it is full, on those sites I mentioned they all go into sawadee and that means you can request 3,4,5 choices without any obligation whatsoever, they will check and tell you which on/ones are available and then give you a couple of days to think about it, at that time only do you respond to choose which one and then pay the deposit, so none of this business of giving credit card info before you know if it's available, just decide on whether Karon, Kata(remember quieter than Karon) or the busy crowds and livelyness of Patong.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 09:51 PM

If you want somewhat quieter end of Patong the Duangjitt and Coconut Village are good value.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you THank you. I am certain i will stay in Karon. I like the peacefulness of it all. Thank you again.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

James: We have decided to stay at the Old Phuket as it is much more my style. I really wanted to stay away from the "resort" type feel. And we have chosen the Old Bangkok Inn for when we arrive. Thanks again for all your help.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:39 PM

Hi Allure,
We will be in Phuket Nov 26 for 5 nights and staying at the Old Phuket Hotel, thanks to suggestions from JamesA. I went through Sawaadee and the delux rooms were not available, so I booked the next one up. One day they were available, next day when we made up our minds, they were gone. Maybe you will have better luck. Although the delux with your own spa doesn't sound too bad after a long day at the beach.

It would be nice to meet another fodorite for a cocktail if you're there the same time

When will you be there.