wedding dress shanghai or suzhou, china

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughters and I scored some cheap tickets to Shanghai so we are going Nov. 12! And, besides seeing and doing as much as possible tosee Shanghai, suzhou, Hangzhou, Nanking and Xian, hopefully......we plan to buy a wedding dress and some bridesmaid's dresses there. My question: will there be any on the rack wedding dress for a western -sized body (size 10 U.S.) and for a tall girl (5'8&quot. If not, will it be possible to have a dress made in the short time we have there? We have 2 weeks. We fly in and out of Shanghai. We will be traveling independently. Any help will be appreciated! We thought it was a perfectly grand idea and now I wonder if it was a grand illusion! Thanks! Phee
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Yes, it's a perfectly grand idea, not sure if you're looking for a western-style one or the Chinese "chi pao"? Since more and more brides in the large cities are having wedding banquets where they wear the white wedding dress first and then change into a red Chinese gown, you can find both. Shanghai is better with a much larger selection, Nanjing and Huaihang Roads are the 2 main shopping areas with huge malls, department stores and specialty shops, lots of rack dresses. Tailor-made can be done in 2 weeks, make sure you do it as soon as you arrive.

Could I ask how cheap are your tickets and how did you score them? Have a wonderful trip and happy shopping!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:16 AM

continental has a great deal just now for FF fliers
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Are you looking for your typical white wedding dress for the bride or a Chinese-style dress? Are you looking for deals or is price not an issue??
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM

I think it's very possible. I'm not sure if you'll be able to find anything off the rack in western sizes, but my sister had some made last year (both a white wedding gown and a chi pao) in Suzhou and it only took a few days. I can't remember the cost but it was incredibly cheap. There's an entire street devoted wedding gowns in Suzhou.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Okay I haven't figured out how to reply just to one of the respondents to my question.....which involved where to buy wedding dresses in Shanghai or Suzhou and was it possible to buy an off the rack for a size U.S. 10. someone asked how much our ticket was: Seattle-Shanghai rt US $623.00 And someone else asked did we want a traditional white wedding dress....and the answer is yes....the white wedding dress. any advice will be appreciated!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:39 PM
VC

Hi there, I'm in the same situation...I will also be going to shanghai & suzhou for a wedding dress and also have no idea where in suzhou to go (i'm also little worried about their quality & styles). I have been told that some of the more expensive stores in shanghai stock dresses around $4000rmb, but with a slower turnaround time (3wks). i hope i can find something in shanghai if the suzhou dresses dont work out!