Phi Phi Island Dirty?

Search

Phi Phi Island Dirty?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phi Phi Island Dirty?

Hello, we have planed a trip to Phi Phi island. We will be staying 5 nights. Someone just mentioned to us that it is not clean, sewage issues. Also they thought 1 day would be a long enough stay. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:54 PM

The "town" is the opposite of a resort-like center. There are no high-end stores or restaurants; everything is extremely informal. Most of the walking areas are concrete sidewalks but some are earthen walkways. There is a good bit of trash lying about, the kind that blows loose in the wind and could easily be swept (but there are no sweepers, at least not that I saw.)

However, the issues regarding cleanliness are cosmetic, not sanitational. I saw no evidence of sewage issues last month.

To know whether you'll be happy staying there for five days, it will be helpful if you share the sort of things you hope to do -- curl up for days with some good books, worship the sun in between dips into the sea and pool, snorkel, dive, etc., etc.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank Mike, really appreciate the info. We plan on snorkeling, diving, a day to relax on the beach, and exploring some nearby islands. Overall would you recommend the island? We are thinking of staying at Phi Phi Princess or the Holiday Inn on the north end.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:27 PM

I only snorkel (no diving). Based on my experience, snorkeling is definitely an activity to do once in the Phi Phi islands but the quality is not so good that I would make a point of going there to snorkel. The attributes are that the coral is large and the water is crystal clear (in the dry season.) However, the fish weren't particularly plentiful when we snorkeled and the coral isn't colorful.

If you spend one day diving, a second day snorkeling and relaxing on a couple nearby islands, a third day vegetating on the beach (which is what you also might do while visiting the other islands), that leaves two more days in a 5-day schedule to repeat the activities. If the repetition is appealing, 5 days will be fine. If not, you might find that 5 days is one or two too many.

Yes, overall I would definitely recommend staying on the island for a few days, not that there aren't equally good or better places for beach time in Thailand.

The only part of the island I'm familiar with is the town and immediately adjacent areas. We enjoyed staying at the Phi Phi Princess. It's highlight is the small pool and pool bar. Their Waterfall Restaurant (open-air seating along side the beach) is very good, but is definitely not a 5-star restaurant if that's important to you.

One quick tip: There are no less than five signs on the resort explaining that all bars provide happy hour for two hours. However, the pool bar very cleverly has their own sign at the bar indicating only a 60-minute happy hour. When I challenged them, they refused to honor the advertising throughout the resort. I took the bill to the receptionist and told them to solve the problem. They solved the problem of that particular bill but didn't change the policy of the bar. In fact, the resort manager told me that he has no control over the manager of the pool bar.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mike. We really appreciate you taking the time to give us your input.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:31 AM

I do not think you should stay on Phi Phi. I suggest you stay in Phuket and take a day trip to the unihabited Island. It is much prettier,exotic and can return to the mainland.I suggest the dragshow in Phuket.The shopping in Patong is incredible.