Phuket: where to snorkel from beach?

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Kay

Phuket: where to snorkel from beach?

I would love to know which beaches are best for "from the shore" snorkeling.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Torrey

Best to take a trip over to Phi Phi Islands. Just came back from Phuket, had a tremendous time, quiet beaches, lively beaches, good food, and Patong has just so much to do. In my opinion far better than Bali.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Kay

Thanks, Torrey. Did you take an organized excursion to Phi Phi? We are inclined to hire a local longtail (?)boat for the day to take us to snorkeling spots if there aren't any great "from the beach" areas near Patong beach. What do you think of that idea? I appreciate the opinions of those who recently returned - thank you for sharing!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Ryan

There are several tours companies that run speed boat trips out to the Phi Phi islands. (Can't recall the name of the one we used, but I'm sure your hotel can arrange one upon arrival.) I think the trip out was about 45 minutes to an hour.<BR><BR>In terms of the longboats, you might just want to be aware that they seem to emit a signifcant amount of diesal fumes. I chose to avoid them as that would definately make my wife and I sick. <BR><BR>BTW, there are several dive shops listed on the phuket.com website. You might want to check with them about snorkel trips.<BR><BR>Have fun. (BTW, for a great meal you might want to try the Baan Rim Pa restaurant, just outside Patong. Pricier than most local places but weel worth it.)<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:55 PM
anita

Just got back last month. Had a 1 day trip to Coral &amp; Raja Islands. All the corals are dead but at Raja the boatman brought us to a spot where there were some quite nice corals. This trip via speedboat and we paid about 1,300 Baht excluding transfers (we drove to the pier on our own). lunch was included.<BR><BR>Did a 1/2 day Khai Island (15 mins fm pier to island) at Baht 1,000 per person via speedboat (again, we drove to the pier on our own), in my opinion this was good enough as the fishes were just waiting at shore for us to feed them. boatman brought us to area for snorkelling about 2 mins away, but, corals are again dead.<BR><BR>snorkelling at Phi-Phi might be better.