Good snorkelling in Thailand?

May 17th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Good snorkelling in Thailand?

We are planning a first trip to Thailand for Jan. or Feb.07.We are looking at all the good tourist spots but have not seen any mention of good snorkel areas.Is there anything left after the tsunami? If yes-where?Thank you all.
May 17th, 2006, 10:11 AM

We found good snorkling around ome of the bays around phi phi islands in April.

Samui was unaffected by the Tsunami.
May 17th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Hi John:

My husband and I were on Phi Phi Island 7 weeks after the tsunami devastated the island. We went out with a guide on a snorkelling trip around the islands and were thrilled with the quality of fish and aquatic life we saw even so soon after the tsunami.
We are not expert snorkellers but have enjoyed the sport in the Caribbean and Mediterranean. We found it much superior at Phi Phi than either of the other two areas.
Others we met who were also staying at the resort on Phi Phi said the area exceeded the snorkelling of the Great Barrier Reef where they live.
enjoy,
May 17th, 2006, 12:31 PM

I have to agree that we found a great snorkeling spot off of one of the undevelped beaches on Phi Phi. I can't remember the name of it, but our guide dropped us there for a while. The coral wasn't so good, but the quantity and variety of fish was amazing!
May 17th, 2006, 12:58 PM

We just returned from Koh Samui and took the speed boat trip (they take 10- 12 in a 30 ft. boat (a bit tight) but if you ask them to not go too fast you can get to Koh Tao quickly and if they agree to visit 3 spots for 45 minutes each you will be very pleased. Folks who have been to Phi Phi and Koh Tao say Koh Tao is a little better and you take a decent looking speed boat not one of the long boats that look like they are on their last leg, but are probably o'k.
I do not recommend the Seatran Discovery big ship for you first take a ferry to a large but comfortable to a long boat to get into the best spots. The big boat will damage the coral but if you are 55 plus the logistics are not good for your back and because you spend so much time transferring you get in half the amount of snorkel time. Seatran operates both but you have to ask. You trade a big boat with fairly decent A/C for snorkel time. Cost is about the same. The large boat mskes a big deal of the elborate lunch. It is not elaborate and the food is just decent. We had sandwiches and fruit (peel it) and soda and it was just fine on the speed boat Folfs say snorkeling as good as Phi Phi Islands but we did not go there. Instead we followed Thailand with the Redang Islands in Malaysia which, in our opinion, rival the Great Barrier Reef.

May 20th, 2006, 09:18 PM

Stankase where did you stay in Redang. Am currently doing research for a holiday in September in that area. Any recomendantions. How long would you stay on the island for it seems that only 4 night deals are offered which seems such a short time to spend on an island.