Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

May weather in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering a 3 week trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia from mid-May to early June. I've heard it can be very hot, humid and rainy at this time of year. Is it unbearable? Any difference between those countries in mid-May? Advice from people who have been at this time of year very appreciated.
Thanks
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 09:54 PM

Use the following site to compare historical rain and temperature for any month of the year.

http://www.worldweather.org/index.htm
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link - I've looked at the stats but those don't always tell you the real story as they are averages and temps and rainfalls vary greatly even within a given country. Still love to hear from people who have been to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia in later May/early June. I'm trying to decide if I should plan a different trip.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:05 AM

At the risk of beating a dead horse ...

I've looked at the stats but those don't always tell you the real story as they are averages and temps and rainfalls vary greatly even within a given country.

The "real story" is what will happen in the future, which nobody knows. Perhaps you didn't notice that the stats at that site are listed on a city-by-city basis, not for an entire country. Perhaps you did and are looking for less empirical information and more anecdotal info.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 12:07 PM

Here's a website that will give you hour by hour weather details for a specific day. I have it set for Bangkok on June 1, 2003. You can change the day or location. Go to:
http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 02:59 PM

Anecdotally, then .... we were in Vietnam a couple of weeks earlier in the year (late April - 15 May), travelling south-to-north. It was certainly hot and humid, especially on the South's central coast. I don't much like such weather (I'm overweight and have to admit that I sweated a lot) but I wouldn't describe it as "unbearable". My wife actually enjoyed it. Our hottest day was at Hue, but there was a thunderstorm that night and next day we got our only cool-and-misty day. I'm not sure that there's a perfect time to visit Vietnam unless you confine yourself to one climatic region. As I understand it, you'll always find hot and humid weather in and around HCMC, but Hanoi can be cool and damp in the winter months.