Phi Phi still Paradise

Search

Phi Phi still Paradise

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phi Phi still Paradise

We have just returned from our once year visit to Phi Phi Island. Two weeks of peace and tranquility. We went with some trepidation this year after all the negative responses to my posts singing the praises of this little island. Frequent comments were overcrowded, overdeveloped, too commercial etc. etc. So I began to wonder if our little piece of paradise had gone for ever. Not one bit. Beautiful clean empty beaches,fabulous snorkeling with no one else around and stunning scenery.
I suspect that the people putting down Phi Phi have only done the day trip thing or have only stayed in or around Tonsai. I have allways recommended staying in the north east of the island where its much quieter and there is the bonus of the sea gypsy village for a bit of Thai culture. Watch the fishermen casting nets from the shore,watch a longtail boat being constructed (priceless),watch the making of cooking ingredients from raw materials. The list is endless.
So to sum up,Yes,Phi Phi Island is still paradise so far as I am concerned!!!
This years photos will be on our site soon
www.leightravelclub.com
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:27 PM

Music to my ears...so glad to read this and even happier to hear you had another great experience on Phi Phi! I agree wholeheartedly--it gets a bum rap. Our time at PPIR last year was proof positive that there are parts of the island that are magical, unique and completely isolated from the hordes. Didn't even notice the tourists the whole time we were there.

Curious to know where you stayed this time.

Can't wait to see your pics! Welcome home!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Many thanks for taking the time to post this. We are leaving this week for Thailand and Phi Phi is on our schedule. We're booked to stay in the Phitarom Resort so would love to know if you are familiar with the property and have any other recommendations for "must do's" on this island.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:17 AM

So glad to hear you had a wonderful time!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

filmwill, we stayed, as usual at the Holiday Inn, but we walked round to PPIR one day for lunch and a few drinks. It's about an hours casual walk, quite demanding in the heat but well worth it, passing small completely deserted beaches with some great snorkelling spots. During our walk both ways we only came accross one other couple and one small group of locals who were tending a grave in a little cemetary which we passed.

Gabi7, Yes the Phitarom is a lovely little establishment and with easy access to all the action of Tonsai.
If you are into snorkeling, then one must do is Mosquitoe Island. Not inundated with daytrippers, like Bamboo can be, and I think probably the very best snorkeling around Phi Phi. VERY clear water and loads of soft corals...magical. Around twenty minutes in a long-tail from Loh Dalum Bay which is right by where you will be staying.
Maya Bay is very beautiful and worth a visit but you MUST do it early in the morning before the hordes arrive. Make the effort....you will never forget it!!