Night Train BKK to Sanithani

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all - I am arriving in BKK in the evening and would like to head straight to train station and do an overnight to Ko Samui - how do i book a sleeper over the internet & has anyone any idea how far from the airport in BKK the train station is?? What should i expect on the night train, am taking a 16y daughtr and would like to think that this is a safe option for 2 women travelling??
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM

The most recent schedule I have shows last train is 2250 ( 2nd class only ), gets in to Surat Thani 0800.

In all honesty I would not get off a flight, collect baggage and taxi down to the station and have all that hassle to then spend 10 hours overnight on a train.

You can overnight near the airport somwehre like Avana ( USD 40-45 range )and fly Bangkok Airways the next morning, their first flight out is often heavily discounted ( check their website http://www.bangkokair.com ).

The 0600 hour flight on Bangkok Airways is a Boeing 717 Jet flight, including the taxes anf fuel surcharge would cost you B 2,430 each.

Travel by train is 'ok' but I would not suggest after a flight having all that hassle, and remember once in Surat Thani station you have to get from there to the ferry and then take the ferry across. Ok journey is you have plenty of time but not really to get A to B.

You can always use the train heading back.

If you really want to do it budget there is an 9 pm bus and ferry combo from bangkok to Koh Samui, you get to Samui 1120 next day, bus then a Jet catamaran ferry with 2 stops on the way, that is promotion at B 850 each and according to the promotion includes free drop off at your Samui hotel.
http://www.lomprayah.com/E/route.htm

All in all regardeless of budget I would simply overnight near the airport and get that 6 am flight with Bangkok Airways, gets you there at 0710 and you will be on the beach for breakfast, relaxed, rested ( yopu would probably ruin your first day there if you took and train/bus overnighters ).

You would be better off juts cutting back on some other holiday cost. If you did the train thing in the end you will probably spend a total of about B 1,800 each 'anyway' in total of taxi to train, train fare, taxi/bus to ferry plus ferry ticket etc. I just would not recommend it at all ( sorry ! )

I am guessing from name-tag email you are flying in from Australia ?
You could have other options if that was the case like if suitable from where you live Jetstar to Phuket and then a bus/ferry combo across to Samui.

One-2-Go flies from the old airport cheap flights to Surat Thani but I think earliest is about noon and that would cost about B 1750 anyway, you would loose benefit paying taxi across town and then you need taxi/bus from Surat Thani airport to ferry and ferry cost. All round you won't save anything at all.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM

Just to clarify, even if you used One-2-Go I doubt in the end you will save anything at all against using that 6 am bangkok Airways flight.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Late at night and then returning early hours you don't gain that much with hotels that are anyway 20-30 mins from new airport, so it opens a choice, if you arrive not too late head further towards downtown, relax, have a meal, whatever, then wake up call ubout 0400 and taxi to airport. You also of course not only get a sleep but shower/change and you are better set to enjoy a rewarding day once you arrive in Samui.
Note: Even if you can't check in right away on Samui you will be clean and fresh, hotel will keep your baggage until room ready and no one worries using pool or whatever whilst you wait for your room.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:51 PM

If you do choose to overnight around airport http://www.beachsiam.com/bangkok_airport.html has Avana and others plus downtown.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Trains, sorry, if I got my brain cells together
http://www.beachsiam.com/thailand.html

You have the ailrine websites, also go down to Trains in Thailand, that gives you rail website ( State Railways of Thailand ) and click on timetable and Southern route, the link for 'How to travel by train in Thailand' is also very useful.
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:36 PM

www.seat61.com is good for train travel.
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

The JamesA - thanks so much for all your comments - most appreciated and i will probably go with the early flight to ko samui - any ideas on good price bungalows - not too sure area to stay in - just interested in a bit of relaxing, shopping & eating!! rememberBudget, but not yukkie!! thanks again.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:22 AM

Good decision I think !

On Samui you have the busy beach areas and quieter beaches, there is a good all round choice of places on the beach that fits most budgets.

You need to tell us time of year and rough budget, rates vary by season, now is low but July/Aug rates go up as the weather is good and many go there instead of Phuket where it main rainy season at that time, so tell us time of years and budget. AUD 50 does you ok but depends how much you want to spend. You can get cheaper, you can pay more,

give us a rough idea !
Also if you want to be is a busy place and walk to shops/restaurants etc or if you prefer a little quieter but however close to busy areas ( eg Bophut quieter but convenient ).

crellston - yes that Seat61 is superb, I think that is one there is a link on Beachsiam to.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:42 AM

If you are down under you'll have had your dinner now, so you don't sleep without ideas whilst you are thinking of budget browse through this, check reviews, get a feel for the place, huge list: Sorted by beach

http://www.r24.org/beachsiam.com/samui/hotels/

Go to the AU flag on the bottom and click and that changes everything into AUD, sorted by beach area.
Look at Bophut, Chaweng is busiest, but browing gives you a feel for what you get for your bucks.
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM
TC

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

Here is an amazingly complete web site for train travel anywhere.