travel to Bangkok airport (Suvarnabhumi) from railway station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to check in for my flight out around 6 a.m. and will be travelling into Bangkok from the East (Ubon Ratchathani). The options seem to be - arrive in Bangkok at 23.15 or at 3.00 a.m. The question is - how does one get out to the airport? The airport shuttle bus appears not to run between midnight and 5.00 a.m. which suggests the 23.15 arrival would be best but what is this airport like to spend 6 hrs in overnight? At 3.00 a.m. how safe would one be (I will be a woman travelling alone) at Hualamphong railway station and how would one get to the airport?
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:17 PM

IMO your best bet would be to get the train ariving at 23.15 and stay overnight near Huamlampong. We used The Train Inn about 1 min from the platforms (950baht per night) and then get a meter cab to the airport early in the morning. At that time, there should be little traffic and you should make it under 30 mins and the taxi fare should be correspondingly low. As for safety, Huamlampong seemed now worse than any other part of Bangkok. there are lots of tourist staff on duty during the day but Io doubt they will be around at that time. The new airport did not seem to me to be great palce to spend time.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:31 PM

the trip will take less than one hour and i would take a taxi for about 300-400B.....the airport would be very safe but i doubt you will be able to check in before about 3:30 or so....
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM

It would be better to spend the last night in Bangkok and have fewer worries about connecting flights. If you spend the last night in Bangkok you can do some last minute shopping and not worry about your connecting train breaking down or being late.

However, you can get a meter taxi to the airport pretty easy in the early morning (I do it all the time from the Sukhumvit Road area.) The taxi cabs lurking near the train station may want to "bargain" the fare, paying the meter is cheapest! I usually wave a moving taxi over and ignore the parked taxis.

The airport is always open all night long but your particular airline will probably open up 2 hours before your flight. Some people sleep in the airport a few hours before their flight using the seats or floor.

Good luck.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See www.sleepinginairports.com/asia/bangkok.htm