need Oriental BKK expert!

Sep 15th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

need Oriental BKK expert!

I can't tell the difference between the superior and the deluxe rooms from the description the hotel website offers. A call to reservations was useless. Does anyone know why deluxe is worth 90.00 per night more? Do I want the river or the garden wing? HELP!
Sep 15th, 2004, 10:10 AM

The deluxe rooms are larger -- have more of a sitting area and are quite lovely. If money is absolutely no object, go for it. The standard rooms are not huge by American standards but lovely. Are you travelling solo or with someone else? The amenities are essentially the same although you may get evening snacks in the deluxe and not in the standard.

The garden wing's rooms are often duplex which is lovely unless you tend to have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night -- didn't like having to go down the stairs. If you want a view of the river (and you do) I think you will need a deluxe room in the garden wing to ensure it. All rooms in the river wing have river views.

The Oriental is my favorite hotel in the world. I cry when I have to leave. But the thing that makes it really special are the people who work there. And the wonderful restaurants and public spaces.All the rooms are in gorgeous fabrics and in perfect taste. The deluxe ones are definitely nicer but if you stay in the standard you will still love the hotel.

Sep 15th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks, Glorialf. According to the hotel's website the only difference in size is between the river and garden wing- not superior and deluxe. It certainly makes more sense as you describe it. Sounds like a river wing superior to save money, or river wing deluxe if not?? Does this sound like my correct choices?
Sep 15th, 2004, 10:21 AM

That's what I'd suggest. When are you going, for how long and how many people? I've never booked a deluxe room but 75% of the time have been upgraded.
Sep 15th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Just to add more to the debate. We stayed in the garden wing as it was recommended in Fodors for being the original part of the Oriental and having recently been refurbished. I believe the entire hotel has been refurbished at this point. Our garden wing room was terrific - awesome river view (when the humidity didn't fog up our windows) and a very cool split level arrangement - bed and bath (no need to go down a level to use bath) upstairs and sitting area downstairs. We requested a non-smoking king with a river view in the garden wing- no distinction between deluxe and superior.
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Craig.. how did you book? When booking on the website you have to choose superior or deluxe.
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:38 PM

Send an e-mail directly to the hotel with your questions. They were quite good at answering our various queries. I am quite sure we booked directly with the Oriental.
Sep 16th, 2004, 04:40 AM

I forgot to mention that if you call the reservations line, they can give you the e-mail address of the hotel.