Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hong-Kong Hotels:Island Shangri-la , Grand Hyatt or Intercontinental?

Sep 15th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

I will be in Hong Kong for 3 nights in Mid December as part of our honeymoon trip. We got pretty much the same rate in the three hotels above. Which one would you recommend?
Thanks
Sep 15th, 2004, 08:57 AM

The Grand Hyatt is lovely, but really our of the way. I love the Island Shangri-La, but I prefer to be on the Kowloon side. So I'd recommend the Intercontinental among those three. I haven't stayed there, but others who post here have had good things to say about it.
Sep 15th, 2004, 08:57 AM

For honeymoon, definitely the IC. Its harborview is one of the best anywhere. You'll definitely remember it.

2nd choice will be the Island Shangri-La. The Grand Hyatt is just too inconvnenient.
Sep 15th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks for the help!
Sep 15th, 2004, 10:11 AM

I'd say the Intercontinental. I've stayed at the Shangrila and found it very commercial.
Sep 15th, 2004, 01:13 PM

Intercontinental!!! There is no better view (IMO) of HK harbor. The hotel is a quiet respite from the frenetic pace of the city.
Sep 15th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Shangri La! Great views, big rooms and friendly service. Wonderful food as well!

As for the intercontinental - has anything changed since the management contract with Regent expired. Just don't like what seems to happen to some great hotels when some of the Mega Chains take them over! Intercontinental charge for room service in some of their hotels (silly things like 2-3$ to have ice delivered to your room)
Sep 15th, 2004, 02:44 PM

nstroh...its your honeymoon so make it the Intercontinental!
Sep 15th, 2004, 05:27 PM

In case you're still not convinced, let me say this. I've not stayed at any of those hotels, but I must have walked past the promenade 500 times since the Regent (now IC) was built when I was growing up in HK. Now, if I am to get married soon and need to bring the bride back to HK, there's no question I will stay at the IC.
Sep 16th, 2004, 01:16 AM

First congratulations on your wedding. You have picked a great time to be in Hong Kong, the weather is perfect (sunny mid 70s F) and all the Christmas decorations will be up.

I assume that the rates you are quoted are for a harbor view room at each hotel. You need to compare apples to apples. If you don't have a harbor view room at the IC, then IMO the most important reason for staying there is gone.

If you have a harbor view room at each, then IMO there is no question that the IC is the place to stay. Recall every picture you have ever seen of Hong Kong: invariably it is of the harbor with the hills and the skyscrapers of Hong Kong Island rising beyond. Virtually all those pictures were taken from the IC (OK from the Promenade, but same thing). The Shang and the Hyatt are on Hong Kong Island and look across to the Kowloon side, which is not nearly as dramatic a view. The lobby of the IC has 40 foot windows with that endless view. The lobby of the Shang has no view, nor surprisingly does the Hyatt considering its location on the water. The Hyatt is not conveniently located at all, IMO, and you will spend more time walking or in taxis getting where you want to get. From the IC you can walk to most places in Kowloon you want to go, or hop on the Star Ferry and get to Hong Kong Island via one of the world's greatest boat rides, and certainly the cheapest (30 cents for first class). The Shang also has a good location, you can walk or take a tram to most places you want to get.

Sep 16th, 2004, 09:04 AM

Great weather in Hong Kong in December, and it will be quite festive with all the buildings lit up with Christmas lights. The Grand Hyatt has nice rooms and bathrooms, but yes, too out of the way--and nothing much around it compared to the others. The Island Shangrila has nice big rooms and great service. It's in the middle of the Pacific Mall, which has nice shopping. I like to stay here when I go with the family and kids (altho expensive--we usually book the Marriott which is in the same complex and right above the MTR station. Very important specially when doing lots of shopping)

I have never stayed in the Regent (now IC) because I like staying in HKG side as opposed to Kowloon side--it's less chaotic and I like the nightlife in HKG side better. BUT I've been to the lobby and the promenade many times because i had lots of friends stay there (they were on romantic trips, I was on a shopping trip).

So I guess i'm just saying what everyone is saying. Have fun!