Royal River Hotel

Jan 17th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Royal River Hotel

I would appreciate any feedback on the Royal River Hotel. The location on the river seems good and the price (One Bd room suite Bht 3.237) seems good.
Thanks.
Bill
Jan 17th, 2004, 06:16 AM

i stayed there a couple of years ago as part of my northwest airlines package...this is not an upscale hotel by any means...it is perfectly adequate however and yes the location is good, although it is further north than most on the river...they have a barge to the river city shopping center throughout the day...the neighborhood is working class and of little interest and the pool at the hotel is postage stamp size...the restaurants are decent and the french one on the top floor is quite good and very reasonable....we were the only people eating there the nite we ate there....the breakfast is decent in the ground floor restaurant....i would classify this as a tourist hotel, which is in itself not a negetive comment...

the rate you quote is outrageous however....its about U.S. $90....you could stay in a fancy place for that price, like the marriott resort or many other places around town....

look at the following web-site, which jamesA always suggests to people (they have great rates) the site is primarily for hua hin but also lists hotels in many other parts of thailand...look for the bangkok section

www.huahin.20m.com

they have the royal river for $35.87 u.s. per day...

our room was high up, facing the river and had a balcony, although it is usually too hot to go out on it, except at night...the room was very large and had a decent bathroom...as i remember there were stone floors with no rugs...the bed was large and comfortable...one side of the room was totally glass overlooking the river and the light flooded in ..there were large drapes to shield the room from light

it is located up river, slightly above the grand palace...just below it is one of the major bridges over the river...this allows easy access to the city....it is not near the sky-train...

most days we took the barge to river city and went off from there....i think the barge runs about every hour from 6am to 9 pm...taxis are very cheap so this is an easy back-up....
there were a couple of shops (tailors) attached to the hotel and a small gift/tobacco/newspaper/film shop in the hotel...

you would not be unhappy with this hotel, especially if you get the price i have quoted here...the only negetive i can think of is the pool, which is always very important to us when we are in bkk.....

have a great trip
Jan 17th, 2004, 06:21 AM

i just noticed that you said suite...that is a different story...my wife remembers that there was a suite at the end of our hallway and it was quite large when we looked in...there was a huge statue as you entered...so $90 is probably not too much, but you need to decide....have you contacted the hotel directly???
Jan 17th, 2004, 04:59 PM

i stayed at royal river few years ago; it is fine, not luxury. but further up the river then other hotel.offers good prices.
Jan 17th, 2004, 05:16 PM

It's not brilliant but adequote, for a standard room it's good value, I honestly would not go to the extent of the suite unless you really need to, if you don't mind paying the extra then sure, why not, but it depends how much you need the extra room space or not.