Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Anyone familar with Koh Racha in Thailand?

Jan 16th, 2004, 03:37 PM
mae
Original Poster

I came across the Racha Hotel in Koh Racha, 12 miles from Phuket. Does anyone know about this hotel or the island?
We're deciding between the Chedi in Phuket, Rayavadee in Krabi (pricey though!) and have come across this one. We're looking for something upscale, and relaxing with beautiful scneery.
Jan 16th, 2004, 04:54 PM

I lived 3 years on Phuket and confess never going to Racha. You have to rely upon transport to and from the mainland. I think the prices for the Rayavadee are 'off this plant', I would go for Chedi as romantic, take a look at the Boathouse at Kata, I honestly would avoid those offshore places on Phuket, it can get quite a nuisance going to/from the island and even then you are on the opposite side of the islands to all the main resort areas.
Jan 17th, 2004, 01:00 PM
mae
Original Poster

Thanks, James. The Rayavadee is too expensive. I've heard mixed things about the CHedi and Phuket overall. (beach at Chedi rough and steep, unswimmable, water murky and hotel is very basic with lots of stairs).
Thus, we're trying to find something off Phuket. How is the beach at the tubkaak? I can't find any reviews of this place or a website though.
Jan 17th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Mae, what time of year are you planning? This is very important weatherwise. What are you looking for, I guess nice beach, relaxed comfort of reasonable standrad etc etc, if that is so they is an amzing choice. Also do you want so spend most time at the beach? Do you like sea swimming or prefer pools? Do you want to do any jungle trek, elephant rides etc, are you happy to eat in the hotel or do you want to go out in the evenings, eat, some local shopping, a few drinks?
Give us a rough idea, it hhelps so so much in trying to give good advice.
Jan 17th, 2004, 08:28 PM
mae
Original Poster

We're traveling in Feb. We'll be going to the islands after staying at the Four Seasons in Chiang Mai. We'd like a resort to be of similar quality and standard to that (without the Amanpuri price tag--or Rayavadee--if possible).
We want a beautiful white sand and swimmable beach, as we intend to spend time at both the hotel pool and beach. It'd be ideal to have some snorkeling off the beach but I understand thats usually not possible off Phuket and need to get out to the islands
We aren't interested in nightlife--just want something relaxing and good hotel restaurants will be fine for us.
If convenient, we'll do a day trip somewhere but if the beach is spectacular at our resort, I'd probably be happy to stay put!
I've tried to research the Pimilai also but that seems so far out--we'll only have 4 days. Plus, I'd read that Koh Lanta's beaches aren't great.
(we've spent many years vacationing in Hawaii and though we love it, I'd like to go somewhere that will have something different. Hawaii is beautiful but it doesn't have powder white sand beaches, etc.) Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Jan 17th, 2004, 10:20 PM

I would try for the Botahouse at Kata Beach, it's bigger than a 'boutique' style place but certainly not a 'block' hotel, good service, nice rooms, easy enough to get to other restaurants and such. You need to take trips from Phuket to snorkel, lots of trips are available.

You are goinf peak season so you might not get the Boathouse, you could try Merideint Yacht Club as an alternative but if you are lucky enough to get a room at the Boathouse I would go for it.

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/ph...thouse/details

that's a long site name but gets you into all the local info and rates etc.

You could also try the Kata Thani, you can find it from that link too.