Shangri-la in BKK ??

Old Dec 12th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shangri-la in BKK ??

The other topic on balcony rooms had some mentions about the Shangri-la and the price point even for the upgraded wing is impressively different, so for anyone who has stayed there, could you tell me how you would compare it to the Oriental and the Pen? They said their construction is over. Would love to hear how it compares from someone who has stayed there.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 03:11 AM

We enjoyed our stay at the Shangri-la in the Krupthep Wing. We have stayed at the "O" and the Penn as well and they are all nice. If you stay at the Shang in the K wing though, you get a free breakfast in the morning and free drinks and hors d'oeuvres at night in a separate restaurant. That being said, it's not outdoors right by the river like it is at the Penn. We enjoyed our balcony at the Shang in our third floor room. I have not stayed in a balcony room at the Penn but my understanding is that it blocks your view from the inside - also because of the height, you are farther from the river. I don't think they have balcony rooms at the "O" and many of the rooms do not even face the river.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Craig -- have read your reports for years and that does help -- thank you for the extra details (found your Sri Lanka pictures the other day and really enjoyed those, btw). The package at the Shang did impress me and also includes 1 airport transfer. The only O rooms I could find with a balcony were either partial view or the staterooms which add 200 a night to the price. I did shoot them an email to see if they can do anything with the prices so we'll see.
I guess we could go for tea at the Penn if we wanted to be right on the river one afternoon, no?
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 08:41 AM

We had a deluxe stateroom at the Oriental - just checked what we paid in 2006 (so prob will have increased some). We booked a Deluxe Riverview through Amex Centurion (about 11,500B per night) but got upgraded to a Deluxe Stateroom. I think you get the same kind of deal on Amex Platinum as well, upgrades subject to availability. This room is one of the rooms right on the end of the taller building, adjacent to the river - it has a balcony right over the river and big glass plate windows overlooking the river. When you look at the photos of the exterior, it is hard to see the balconies but they are there.

When are you going? Would be v interested to hear about SLa now it has been refurbed - if you decide to stay there.
BB
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 12:05 AM

I generally am a person who likes a balcony room if I can get one. The balcony rooms at the Penn in no way block river views. The balconies are glass. The balcony rooms are on the inside core of the building, and may therefore be recessed slightly but not in any way you would notice in terms of views. The building is very tall, so at a certain point, having the balcony does not mean much, but I donít believe the balconies go above the 14th floor or so. The balconies are not huge, you canít fit a chaise, but there are two chairs there. However all that being said, the corner one-bedroom suites at the Penn, which do not have balconies, have the nicest views, IMO, so that would really be my preference at the Penn if the choice were offered. These get the most light and have views in many directions. The Dexluse and Grande Deluxe rooms have a coner-like feel and windows which also afford good views.

Not all rooms at the Oriental have river views, and the views for the most part are oblique, that is, the windows are sideways to the river, but views are still quite good. The River Wing rooms are the ones with the views, and I prefer the side facing the pools, just a more pleasant green view and better sunsets. The balcony rooms at the Oriental, as noted above, are at the far end of the River Wing and are directly on the river. The windows and balconies here are not oblique, but face the river directly. They are very large balconies, much larger than the Pennís. If you want a balcony and donít mind paying for it, IMO, those are the ones to go for. But the corner suites at the Penn are pretty darn nice too. Hard to say. But then you have the very-nicely redone pools at the Oriental and it starts to get more interesting. I also like their sala beds at the pool better than the Pennís. I am not that impressed with the pool area at the Shangri-La to be honest (I understand it is closed for a redo, you might want to check on whether it is in fact open now before deciding to stay there, one would not really want to be shuffling off to a ďnearbyĒ hotel to use the poolÖ). I also just find their lobby waaaay too big and the whole place just a tad too over the top, even for a luxury hotel.

I have always had breakfast included in room rate as the Oriental, so you might want to ask about that. This is regardless of any credit card plan. Esp these days when many hotels are looking for business, even (and esp) in the luxury sector.