Balcony Rooms at Oriental vs. Pen

Jun 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Balcony Rooms at Oriental vs. Pen

Ok. I know there are lots of posts on the Oriental vs. Pen. I stayed at the Pen once and liked it enough but felt a bit isolated/hermetically sealed way up in my deluxe river view room. I prefer hotel rooms with balconies that offer a sense of the outside space. That said, I've researched both the Pen and Oriental balcony rooms. The Pen balcony rooms actually look like they may be a bit more isolating since they only have one window and the rooms seem darker. Can anyone comment on these that has stayed in one?

On the Oriental, does anyone know if their Deluxe River View rooms (that have balconies) are close to the riverfront and therefore have decent views? These rooms are scads more expensive than the Pen so I am trying to decide whether to try it out or stick with the Pen...Oriental room design also seems a bit frilly for my tastes.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. BTW the Pen Balcony room included breakfast costs $403; Oriental with balcony w/o breakfast is $469.
Thanks.
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:23 PM

i have a prejudice towards the penn in all situations....reports are that the rooms can be a bit darker because of the balcony....

all penn balcony rooms are directly at the center of the hotel and thus have a great view over the city roofs...

not sure in which building the O's balcony rooms are located...

to me having breakfast included is not only convenient but economically appealing....

hi by the way...bob
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:25 PM

the above is from me not from gpanda...and greetings from bali...

bob
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:27 PM

Also note that the Shangri La has balcony rooms.
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:03 PM

I've stayed in a balcony room at the Pen. It was OK, but I would not go out of my way to stay in one again. Yes, the room is dark because there is only the balcony door for lighting. Non-balcony rooms seem to have more light.

Then, since the balcony rooms are slightly recessed and directly in the middle of the building, the two wings stretching out from either side have a minor blocking of the river view. Not a BIG problem, but still, the view is slightly obstructed. You can see farther up and down the river from the regular rooms.

I've stayed at the O, but not in a balcony room. I think you might be happier with one of these (IMO) even though I've never tried one of them. But I think the river view is in one direction only??? Gloria will know the answer to that one.

Carol
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:10 PM

At the Oriental, Deluxe River Wing rooms have balconies. They are set on the side of the buildiing, so they have partial river views. Deluxe Staterooms have full river views from their balconies.
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM

i have stayed at the Pen and had balcony room both times and intend to do so again in novemeber. View is great and i didnt find the rooms any darker than the oreintal rooms.
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Hi Bob...Wondered if you would check in from Bali. Been reading your reports.

I am tempted to try the Oriental because I thought it might also be interesting/fun to be on that side of the river. Considered Shangri-la but heard they are under construction for a year so I am not eager to hear or see all that going on and wondered if even the K-wing was comparable to the Pen or Oriental in comfort.

Any more insights people have would be appreciated.
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

Smeagol, I meant to ask, are the balcony rooms as wide as the deluxe rooms? Sometimes I know hotels make balcony rooms long and narrow which would be less appealing to me.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:57 AM

We stayed in the Krupthep Wing at the Shangri La last February. Here is the view from our balcony:

http://tinyurl.com/5ycrov

The Shangri La is huge and the Krupthep Wing is a separate building with a separate entrance. If there is construction going on elsewhere it is not likely you will hear it.

We have stayed at both the Penn and the Oriental. The K Wing at the Shang definitely matches them in comfort with the added bonus of free cocktails/hors d'oeuvres in the evening and free breakfast in the AM.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:58 AM

Another vote for the Krungthep Wing at the Shang. Separate entrance, pool, dining area and staff. The balconies were large, with a great view up and down the river. The room was bright with large windows. The suite was huge (ask for an upgrade if there, the upgrade price may be very reasonable). The hotel is right next to a skytrain station. The lobby has an iconic view of the river traffic, with soaring windows and gleaming floors.
Have fun.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:16 AM

The balcony room at the Pen is my room of choice in BKK.

I didn't find the room to be dark in any way, and I very much enjoy stepping out onto the balcony in the morning or the evening to catch a refreshing breeze off the river. Also, the balcont offers a nice view of any events that might be taking place in the garden.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:38 AM

the room lit up because of your chrome dome, and not everyone has a built-in lighting system...
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:39 AM

Enjoying all the reviews. I knew this thread would get responses!

The Pen balcony room we had was most definitely narrower than the regular room. Not sure it was longer. The bathroom was off to one side, and nearer to the balcony door. The room (minus bath) is about the same width as the balcony, but the balcony is not small. The bed "faces" the balcony door, so you could sit in bed and look at the river. Sorry that I somehow managed to forget to note the price of the room in my journal. This was Christmas time, 2001. Exchange rate was about 44 baht to the dollar.

In the non-balcony room, the bathroom was nearer to the entrance to the room. We had two big floor to ceiling windows, letting in lots of light. The windows are angled, in a "V" shape, bending outward. (does that make sense?). My journal tells me that the price was $130 plus tax, including breakfast, and we were on the 33rd floor. TIMES/PRICES HAVE CHANGED!! Exchange rate was about 45 baht to the dollar. This was summer of 2001, my first trip to BKK.

The river view in BOTH directions is what is a great feature about staying at the Pen. I think (but have not stayed in one) that the O balcony rooms are either on the side looking UP river or on the side looking DOWN river, but not looking in both directions in one room, like at the Pen. Unless you have a balcony at the very end of the building, closest to the river.

Rizzuto, yes, stepping out onto the balcony for the evening air is very lovely. We were on the 21st floor, and we had a pair of geckos crawling around waaaay up there. Fun to watch them. They never came onto our balcony but were very close by.

Paulo, you won't go wrong staying at either the Pen or the Oriental.

Carol
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM

Havd not stayed at Pen, but have at Oriental. Liked K wing of Shang much better. Liked the pool at the Shang and the service and the food in the lounge were great.
Jun 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your insights. Love the detail simpsonc510.
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM

I much prefer the Grand Deluxe rooms to the Balcony rooms at the Peninsula BKK. As other posters have written, the Balcony rooms, while having the same square footage, have a much narrower view of the River. The full length of our Grand Deluxe room had windows overlooking the river, while only the width of the Balcony room had windows (due to how the rooms are configured).

I also consider the Peninsula to be a better value than the Oriental right across the river. If you *do* stay at the Oriental, I much prefer the River Wing rooms to the Garden Wing.

When are your dates? I see better prices than you're quoting - at both properties - that include daily breakfast and one complimentary lunch at either the Pen or MO.
Jun 18th, 2008, 09:13 AM

To be honest i would give up my few inches of space so i could sit outside. I LOVE that about the balcony rooms. I esp love it at the pen, because i like to see the fantastic skyline of Bangkok and watch the little boats go backwards and forwards and smell the smells. The rooms are spacious enough (i mean how much space do you need when there is a separate room for your clothes and luggage!!!)
I think the Pen offers better value and a better view (IMHO) although i would say that the price of ALL hotels have really jumped this year in BKK
Dec 9th, 2008, 06:50 PM

Went looking for balcony information and found this thread -- which rooms at the Shangri-La have the bathrooms that overlook the river? That is the ultimate decadence if you ask me
Dec 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM

The second toilet of the suite at the Pen overlooks the river - hows that for decadence. Main bathroom doesn't but does have a television at the end of the bath.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO