Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Need Bangkok hotel help w/Accor sale - what's best for 1st time visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, it's pretty hard to pass up the Accor hotel sale. Need some advice. We're a young married couple, will be visiting Bangkok for the first time in July. Had planned to stay by the river - Royal Orchid Sheraton, Marriot Resort and Spa, etc. for our first time. However the Accor hotel prices are so tempting. Looking at:

Pullman King Power
Novotel Siam Square
Grand Sukhumvit Hotel

Also (InterContinental sale):
Holiday Inn Bangkok
Holiday Inn Silom

Just looking for input on what might be best for us. Want to see the sights, shop, and relax. I wonder if we will be disappointed if we don't stay by the river? Which of the hotels above is in the best location? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the sales end on Thursday.

Thank you!
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:36 PM

The river is nice, but if you stay someplace next to the Skytrain (or subway), you can still get to sights and shopping easily. All of the hotels you list, with the possible exception of the HI Silom are in easy walking distance of the train.

The Pullman is very nice, although in a somewhat out-of-the-way area (it is actually a very funky neighborhood, just not well known by tourists). The HI Bangkok is rather nice, I think. Not your typical HI.

Does Accor also have a good deal on the VIE Hotel? It looks very nice and the location is pretty good as well.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM

bkk holiday inn on plenochit is quite nice and in a great location for center city and not far from skytrain...good shopping and restaurants in area as well

i love the river and prefer the marriott....sheraton is ok but not my choice...hilton is also nice as is the shangri-la, but river hotels are more money...
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Wanted to follow-up - thanks for your replies! Just booked the Pullman for $45 per night!!! I can't belive it. Too good to pass up. I had my heart set on a river hotel, but they're at $110-$150 per night right now (at least). Oh well, more money for shopping and massages!!

Here's a link to the Accor hotel 3-day sale:

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/promot...upersale.shtml
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:14 AM

I gave in, changed my Beijing reservation in April from the Grand Hyatt ($200/nite) to the Grand Mercure Xidan ($45/nite).
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:40 AM

Yup, those are great prices!