Hotels In Bangkok

Sep 14th, 2004, 03:22 AM
bradleydalton

Hotels In Bangkok

We are planning on staying in Bangkok for three nights with three children (14,11 &7) and remain undecided as to the best part of town to stay in - convenience, shopping , skytrain etc.

Would greatly appreciate any recommendations and/or family friendly hotels.

Thanks,

Sep 14th, 2004, 05:03 AM

There is a consensus on this board that staying on a hotel on the river is best in terms of using the river to avoid traffic, quietness, a bit less pollution and the charm of the river. I think there is also a consensus on this board that the Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa is a great place for children. They have a large pool (with shade, very unusual and welcome in Bangkok), and a shopping mall attached to the hotel where older children can go by themselves for shopping and if they need a junk food infusion. The staff is very child-friendly, food is good, they have tennis courts and an excellent spa and a good gym. People here report getting good prices on Priceline, but the hotel will generally match any bona fide internet offer (Marriott's "Look No Further Guarantee".) Ask people here about recent prices which they paid. Connecting rooms are good, in addition to their regular rooms (which are a bit small IMO), they also have junior suites which could take one roll away. To the best of my recollection, none of the rooms have two double beds, but you could ask.

The hotel is about 20-30 minutes by free shuttle boat from the Sky Train, a major shopping centre called River City and the Oriental Hotel pier which also has shopping and is an access point for other nearby parts of town and to the river buses which go up the Grand Palace, etc.

Other river front hotels for families which are popular on this board are the Sheraton Royal Orchid, the Shangri-La, the Oriental and the Peninsula. All of these hotels are located quite close to one another further up the river. In terms of price, of these hotels you may do best at the Sheraton Royal Orchid, but it is certainly worth checking all of them.

There is a JW Marriott more in the downtown area and a Sheraton off the river as well, so note this when checking hotels and prices; the preference of this board is to stay on the river.

A useful source for hotel information is asia-hotels.com. You can search by location and price. I have never booked with them, but use them to find hotels in certain areas or within a certain price. Once you find some hotels, you might post another question here for comments on it.
Sep 14th, 2004, 06:14 AM

If you are a serious shopper, then you may want to locate closer to the World Trade Center and Siam Center area. I have stayed at Le Meridien, which is now Intercontinental. It is a very nice hotel, but I don't know how child friendly it is. There is also a Grand Hyatt Erewan right across the street from Intercontinental. Both are right at one of the skytrain stops (Chidlom).

Bangkok has loads of nice hotels. The river area gives you a sense of the pulse of this vibrant and exotic city. I've stayed at both Oriental and Penninsula (prefer Penn). It's great to watch the river traffic and eat outdoors at either of their riverside cafes.

I have also stayed at serviced apartment "hotels." The locations are not so good, but the space is better.

Enjoy your BKK visit.
Sep 14th, 2004, 06:34 AM

I LOVE the Oriental and wouldn't stay anywhere else but I would NOT go there with children. The Marriott sounds like a good choice for them.
Sep 14th, 2004, 06:58 AM

Just got back from Bangkok and have been there several times. I don't have kids, but I think it would be easier to stay somewhere near the World Trade Center Mall...now renamed Central World Center or near the Siam Shopping Center and Siam Discovery Shopping Center. Try the Novatel(an Accor Hotel). It's very centrally located and in the Siam Square area. More upscale is the Grand Hyatt Marriot Erewan which is very central...It's next to the Four Seasons where I stay so I know the area quite well and it's only one Sky Train stop from the Siam Skytrain stop which is the main one.There is a lot of interesting street life on the street that the Grand Hyatt Erewan is on....people selling food...women stringing together flowers and there's the Erewan shrine on the corner where people are praying and Thai musicians play music and dancers dance all day. If you stay at the Grand Hyatt you can walk to the World Trade Center mall, Amarin Mall, Gaysorn Mall, and then take the skytrain one stop...from your hotel area... and you're at Siam Center and Discovery where a lot of young people shop and there are also great stores for adults in Siam Discovery and then you can walk, by connecting overpass bridges from Siam Center to MBK Mall...the biggest in Bangkok where there are tons of shops and a movie theater on the top floor.You can take a taxi or the sky train to the river area to go up the river to the Grand Palace and those places of interest. The River City Mall...where they sell Thai antiques and old articles is attached to the Royal Orchid Sheraton which has nice restaurants. So you can take the sky train...from the Grand Hyatt Erewan... to the end stop(at the river) and then take the boat up to the Sheraton and shop at River City Mall and then eat at the Sheraton and continue up the river to the Grand Palace. Then back down the river...stopping along the way... to the sky train stop and back to the Grand Hyatt Erewan. Get Nancy Chandler's map of Bangkok...a must at Nancychandler.org or net...I can't remember which one and then you can see where the hotels are located in relationship to the sights. Happy Travels!
Sep 14th, 2004, 06:40 PM

what are the kids in to? well atleast the older once.
Sep 14th, 2004, 06:47 PM

Guenmai mentioned the movie theater at MBK center mall. If movies are of any interest to you, then you MUST go to a movie at the Gold Class Theater in the Siam Discovery mall. There are only 30 seats (maybe 36?) in the whole place. Each one is a Lazyboy recliner type chair. The front row seats have massage chairs. You get a blanket, footies, and pillow, no matter which seat you get. You can curl up in your comfy chair and watch a good (or maybe not so good) movie and eat popcorn and be just like home!!! I LOVE IT!
Sep 14th, 2004, 06:53 PM

Yeah, the above mentioned theater is really good. And there's also a movie theater that's been open about a year that is an indoor drive-in movie theater. They took old cars and put them inside the theater. So, you sit in the cars inside the building and watch the movie. I can't remember where it is, but I just asked a friend from Bangkok...while I was there two weeks ago... if it was still around and she said that it was. Happy Travels!
Sep 14th, 2004, 06:59 PM

the seems too be a bunch of "the biggest mall in bangkok. people tell me the mall rangsit is the biggest and I've read seacon square is. I've been too seacon and it sucks.. it's mainly for thais. but it does have a fairly big amusment center with a small roller coster/carnival rides and some state of the art vidio games. MBK is maybe the biggest mall in central bangkok..
Sep 14th, 2004, 07:03 PM

Several movie theaters in Thailand have the "sleeper seats" or lazy boy type chair with blankets, pillows and bar service. The EGV theater at Siam Discover was the first to have this but now it's everywhere in Bangkok so you don't really need to go to only one place - the Discovery Centre.

When making enquiry:

For Major Cineplex the seats are call "Emperor Class" seats.

For EGV the seats are call "Gold Class" seats.

If you go towards the outskirt of Bangkok the seats become cheaper. Downtown they go for 700 baht a seat but on the outskirt they only cost 300 baht a seat.

Enjoy!
Sep 15th, 2004, 03:30 PM
bradleydalton

Thanks everyone for your help and assistance.

Sep 16th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Grand Hyatt-I would not stay there now as their pool is closed for another eight or more months.
Sep 16th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Hanuman: SLEEPER seats with blankets and pillows? I'm going to have to check this out when next I'm there!

And Bradley- you may want to take the kids to an afternoon tea at the Grand Hyatt Erewan-which is one of my favorite hotels because of the fascinating Erewan shrine-as Guenmai mentioned -It's one of the busiest shrines in all of Bangkok-partic. on New Year's Eve! The reason I say you may want to go for tea there is that they have this marvelous chocolate fountain-and a very nice assortment of sandwiches, tea breads and the like, but the star is definitely the fountain. Also, a lot of upscale Thais use the Hyatt for wedding receptions and other functions, so it's an interesting place to sit and people-watch, in that it's not a very western or "farang" kind of hotel-I believe it's Bangkok's oldest deluxe hotel.
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Actually, the Grand Hyatt Erawan is a relatively new hotel. And I was suprised to learn that the Erawan Shrine (which I do visit every trip) is a relatively new shrine.

The oldest luxury hotel in Bangkok is, of course, the Oriental.
Sep 16th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Well, I don't about that. The original Hyatt in that location was built in the 1950's-and because there were so many construction problems with this lux hotel it was thought that evil forces were afoot, so an especially powerful spirit house had to be built to counter the negative effects -hence the Erewan Shrine came into being-1956, I believe. Whether it's really true or not, it's a great story, and of course the Erewan Shrine is a must-see, IMO-as is the Hyatt. But as far as an older hotel, the Oriental is clearly older than the Hyatt.
Sep 16th, 2004, 10:18 PM

And what is equally interesting is that the Erawan shrine is for a Hindu god, Brahma, the creator in the trinity of Hindu gods. Yet belief in the shrine - primairly I understand due to what Spygirl mentioned - spans religions!
Sep 17th, 2004, 02:40 AM

You know Hobbes, you bring up a very interesting issue -the commingling of Thai/Hindu cultures. In Chiang Mai, there is a spirit house/shrine in front of the C.M. Plaza hotel to Ganesh, the elephant-headed Hindu god of good fortune/business. I asked a couple of Thais about this, and they said oh no, they honor Ganesh too, because the elephant is revered in Thai culture. There are so many temples which were once Hindu, then Buddhist that the two cultures are really more aligned than one might initially think!
Sep 17th, 2004, 03:09 AM

Buddism is an an offshoot of Hindusm and the thais practise a form of Buddism orignated from sri lanka.

the most sacred bhudist sites obviouslyare in India.

I hope there is someone out there that can elaborate and actually has a clue about the religion. if need I can easaly find out. but im just too lazy..

it was funny two weeks ago, at the Imigration office (BKK) I overheard a thai and indian man discussing how many of their gods where the same and then teaching eachother the difrent names of them in eachother language.