Help with Hotels in Bangkok!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been searching around for a first class hotel with low rates in Bangkok and one of the best I found was here at the Hotel Plaza Athenee. Right now the offer is $110 a night (plus tax I assume).

Does anyone know if this hotel is in a good location or even a decent hotel? The pics on their site look great and it seemd fairly modern.

I cannot find a lot of info on the neighborhood though. Would I be beter off choosing a hotel which is more expensive and in a different neighborhood? Here is what I found...

-The Westin ($120)
-JW Marriott ($122)
-Landmark ($125 executive with club floor, bfast and late checkout)
-Intercontinental ($125)
-The Rembrandt. The Rembrandt ($88 w/bfast) is also less expensive than all the others, but i am not sure how good it is.

The Sheraton Grande, Shangri-la and Marriott Spa and Conrad all are above my budget.

I am also considering a Priceline Bid since the JW Marriott, Westin and others usually go for around $75 plus tax. Thats a great deal!

I am planning my trip in early April and any help will be apprciated.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 04:34 PM

You should check out The Royal Orchid Sheraton (not the same as the Sheraton Grande on Sukhumvit). The standard rooms are probably within your price range, and they do give a small discount for AAA if you are a member.
Plus you get the riverside location and the river view (all rooms have one, though some views are better than others). Do not rely on the Sheraton website or some general website like hotels.com for information about the prices - email the hotel directly.

If you are going to Bangkok primarily for general sight-seeing as oppposed to business or heavy-duty shopping, a riverside location is much more convenient to the vast majority of tourist attractions. The river and its ever changing traffic are ever-tourist sights in themselves!

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 04:41 PM

I like the Intercontinental. I've stayed there twice. It is right beside a skytrain station, so very convenient for getting around. Plus, some wonderful shopping venues are just a short walk down the street! This would be my first choice.

Others might suggest you stay along the river, which is also lovely, for its excitement and ambience. I have stayed at the Pen and the Oriental. I like both of them (Pen just a little bit more) but when I'm going to do a lot of shopping I like something more convenient.

I have dined at the Rembrandt. It is a very lovely hotel! I'm sure the rooms would be quite nice, and a good value for the money. It is not as convenient to the skytrain as some others though.

Carol
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:04 PM

We stayed at the Landmark in December and were very happy there. Great rooms, great service, fabulous breakfast, and they let us check out of our 2 rooms at 7pm at no charge!

I really liked the location of the Intercontinental in relation to malls and Skytrain.

Lots of people here love being along the river. We visited and ate down there, but all four of us agreed we would not have enjoyed that location. Too much commuting time involved, and two of the four got a little queasy on the boats.

Not that I wouldn't mind vegging out at the Oriental or Marriot, but we preferred the Sukhumvit area for the activiites we had planned.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:16 PM

the plaza ant. is a very good hotel and that is a fabulous price...it is in the same neighborhood with the hyatt and four seasons and roughly across the street from the american embassy...it is near the corner of wireless and plenochit which is a continuation of sukhumvit rd, where the jw marriott and the sheraton grande and westin are located...it is very close to the sky train...i would grab it....

i tried yesterday to get some pricline hotels in bkk and was 100% unsuccessful...it is sort of hit or miss...

the plaza is a better hotel than the sheraton orchid and the intercontinental in my opinion....it was just built in the last 5 years also..

the conrad is near-by as well...it is brand new --1-2 years old...

the jw marriott is very nice and upscale business hotel...you would also be very happy there....

try a look at this site for hotels which usually include breakfast and always include tax and service which amounts to 17.7%

www.huahin.20m.com

drop down and select other thailand locations.....then drop down the city and select bangkok city....you will see quite a few hotels in all ranges...

$110 is a great price for a 5 star in bkk at this time however...grab it...
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:01 PM

Richardab-the Plaza Athenee-do you know how much you would pay if you wanted to stay at the flagship hotel in Paris? One of the great hotels of the world- I couldn't even walk into the Pl. Ath. in Paris, I felt so underdressed-the most haute couture and creme of Parisian society hangs there. You couldn't touch a room there in Paris for less than $800/nt.

And then there's the BKK hotel. This is why I love Asia, partic. Thailand-where else could you stay at a hotel this deluxe for only $110?- by all means, if I were you, I'd definitely take it! I saw the Pl. Athenee on my last trip-I loved the futuristic look of it, and intended to go for a visit, but didn't get around to it, however, I did look it up on the internet-it's right in the heart of the embassy/financial district, and a few minutes away from the Ploenchit Skytrain. The reviews of the hotel on TripAdvisor.com are excellent-have you looked at these? The pool area looks lovely-it's really stunning that it's located on a high floor, and there is all that greenery and a teak pavilion even-and in the distance-skyscrapers! I've heard good things about their Thai restaurant and both the restaurants and bar area from the photos look very hip and cosmopolitan. If I stayed in town, I would try to stay here!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Yes I saw the Plaza Athenne in Paris and I know how exclusive it is, but somehow it seems like the one in Bangkok is just a glorified Le Meridien.

Truthfully I am having second thoughts about going to Bangkok in April since I heard that it was the "hot" season and is oppressively hot. How bad is it? I like to walk around a lot and I really don't want to be a sweaty rat the whole time.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:37 AM

In all honesty, Bangkok is probably its hottest around April. I've not been there at that time, but BKK is always hot, just hottER sometimes. The most pleasant time is from Dec to about late Feb.

I hope you will give BKK a chance, as it is such a gem!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:04 AM

I stayed at the Chateau de Bangkok in August, which is next door to the Plaza A. It's a 200 meter walk to the Ploenchit skytrain station which is two stops from the Siam sky train station which is the main station. It's not an interesting neighborhood to walk around in, but convenient to the sky train. If you are going to stay in that neighborhood then just stay at the Chateau de Bangkok by Sofitel...an Accor hotel. I paid about 1800Baht I think it was,(I'd have to look it up in my travel journal) per night for a beautiful Jr. Suite with large walk-in closet, a kitchenette,and nice bathroom. Sort of like a bachelor's apt.A VERY nice hotel and incredibly inexpensive. There was a swimming pool on the roof and a washroom where you buy tokens to do your own wash. Plus there were restaurants on the premises. It's a hotel/serviced apartment building.Happy Travels!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Richardab:
The smart traveler in BKK - stays on the river for the views and ambiance but hires a driver to take them around town and to the major sights (search on RATT in this forum- everyone uses her).
We went in April- yes its very hot- but if you go Dec/Jan prices will be higher and its still hot!
Getting a driver is fairly cheap - $5/hour- and you don't expend your limited energy gettig to the sights.
Also pace yourself- don't try to pack too much in a day.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 05:37 PM

Thanks Bill! I guess we fell into the dumb but happy travellers, then??

)
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 05:55 PM

there is no cool time in bkk...its all relative...use lots of cabs and you will not notice the heat too much...its the only way to avoid it...do things in small spirts...go look at a site for an hour and relax for 20 min. in a/c, then repeat...

after march 31, prices are slightly less until they drop to their lowest on may 1...
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:12 PM

the smart traveler stays near a bts or subway station and pays $5 per day using bTS day passes and taxis (auto, water and motercycle. ...

the smartest traveler walks and takes in the city with all of his/her scences
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Yeah but Iam trying to figure out "how hot is hot"? Hot like Florida in the Summer? Like NYC? It's so hard to even realize how hot it could be when it's 14 degrees (-7 celcius) in New Jersey! I use to live in Southern California and can deal with a 105 degree day, I hate the humidity.

i think i will try a seperate post and see what people say, "How hot is Bangkok" (and I am not talking about the nightlife).
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Oh I forgot to ask, what is the rule of drinking the water? I know you are not supppose to but I have friend that have gone and say it's not an issue. Will my Doctor presribe pills for me to take in case I get the "revenge"?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:11 PM

Richard- In Bangkok, its not the heat, its the heat AND the humidity!

In December, it was 92' and 90% humidity one day. This in the cool season.

It is always hot and steamy in Bangkok. Like Florida in the summer, but more humid.

Scared yet? Don't be. It is so worth going anyway!!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 02:59 AM

Hi Richard
We spent 6 nights in Bangkok at the beginning of January.It was very hot but perfectly manageable as long as you pace yourself and drink plenty of water.You asked about drinking water.In my experience,most travellers buy bottled water. It is seriously cheap and readily available. We always left our apartment armed with a bottle each and then bought more cold ones when needed.And as for meds...if you are plagued with any sort of tummy bug, there are Boots Pharmacies all over and the pharmacist keeps all the necessary antibiotics and dispenses them without a script. One of us had a problem in Koh Samui and the pharmacist sorted us out.
We stayed in a great apartment in Soi Tonson; easy stroll to Chitlom Skytrain and nice area. Fully serviced with all hotel facilities. Somerset Suwan Park View ....excellent.
Have a good trip.
Linda
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Is that the same Boots that is in London? I love Boots!

By the way, in case you aren't familiar with me, I am on the Europe boards a lot. This year I decided to skip Europe (so expensive) and try a different type of trip.

If you are interested you can read my "I Heart Paris" blog from my recent trip. I posted to this live while I was in paris last November...

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartparis/
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

I just checked rates at the Chateau de Bangkok, $50 bucks a night for a superior studio and $70 for a one bedroom apt. this seems awful low for a Sofitel. I wonder what the catch is?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:07 AM

richardab-- re: water. Only drink bottled water. It is VERY easy to find. It's everywhere. And remember not to use ice cubes unless you are someplace that you know is safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -