Notices

Bangkok hotel location - help!

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok hotel location - help!

Am spending 5-6 nights in Bangkok later this year --- what area is most central, close to main attractions, activities etc? Any areas we should absolutely avoid?

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:52 PM

There are those on this board that won't stay anywhere except on the river, although there are sometimes heated discussions on the relative merit of the Marriot, Oriental, Penninsula and Sheraton. Most of the main sights of Bangkok are on or near the river, so this is definitely an option worth considering.

The other option, if you really want to be right in the middle of things, is the Siam Square - Ratchaprasong area. This is Bangkok's main shopping district and also close to several good night spots. Your options here run from the Four Seasons, Hyatt and Intercontinental down to the Novotel and Patumwan Princess (one of my favorites). If you're on a budget, there is a greater range of options in this area than on the river.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 06:21 PM

if you gave us your budget it would help us....along the river things are generally in the $100-200 per nite range...

the advice above is excellent...the area around the hyatt is very nice with lux hotels and less expensive ones like chateau de bangkok and several serviced apartments which take short term visitors...

a good all inclusive site is:

www.huahin.20m.com
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 06:25 PM

there is really no central area...there are several...depends on what you consider the sites as well...the grand palace and wat arun are on the river...many others are away from the river...

silom road is a good location and also sathorn rd, but not too near to sites but skytrain is there...

sukhumvit rd is very good with all kinds of hotels and good skytrain service...it become plenochit road at one point and goes all the way to national stadium, passing through the siam sq area....

the river is another area...

transportation is so cheap i do not really find that it matters where you stay...i myself prefer the river although i have enjoyed my stays on silom and sukhumvit rds...
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Right now I'm writing from the Plaza Athenee in Bangkok -- VERY central. It's right by the Conrad on Wireless Road. It's a gorgeous hotel, the amentities are incredible, including robes, slippers, and countless toiletries. Also, they deliver luscious snacks every night and the breakfast buffet is the best I've had in Bangkok. I was really surprised at the level of service for the price. It's right next to the Skytrain and only two stops away from Siam Square, yet much quieter.

Teresa