Luxury in Bangkok

Mar 18th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Original Poster

Luxury in Bangkok

Hi, just planning a vacation in Bangkok with my girlfriend. I wish to stay at one of the most luxurious hotel. I was suggested to choose either lebua at State Tower or the Oriental...your comments please !!
Mar 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM

I would not consider the Lebua as one of the top hotel in Bangkok. Here are the hotels that I believe are the best and most luxurious in Bangkok:

The Mandarin Oriental - old world charm, posh, and on the river.
The Peninsula - Newer, ultra modern and on the river(the other side of the river bank almost opposite the Oriental).
The Four Seasons - Close to the shopping area but I think more suitable for a business visit.
Mar 19th, 2009, 01:14 AM

Banyan Tree?

Kinda out of the way of the Malls and the attractions, but their 'luxury' massages are great.
Mar 19th, 2009, 03:49 AM

If its your first trip to BKK -- then stay on the river. Mandarin, Peninsula, Shang Krungthep Wing. Have fun.
Mar 19th, 2009, 05:00 AM

There are much better hotels with more desirable locations than LeBua. Its a nice hotel nonetheless.
Mar 19th, 2009, 05:25 AM

I agree with others, I'd cross LeBua off the list - not at all in the same league as the Oriental or the Pen. The Four Seasons is very nice, as is the Sukothai, but I would consider both to be more business hotels. The Pen and the Oriental both have the advantage of being on the river.
Mar 19th, 2009, 05:43 AM

The Krungthep Wing of the Shangri La offers the distinct advantage of a free breakfast and free evening cocktails/canapes in its private lounge. Some rooms in the Oriental have better views of the river than others. While all 3 hotels are luxurious, my favorite is the Penn - fantastic views of the river and the city beyond plus an al fresco breakfast by the river that can't be beat.
Mar 19th, 2009, 07:07 AM

I definitely wouldn't have the Lebua on my list. I've been there and been taken all around and seen the place as it's a serviced apartment building. I live in a serviced apartment building when I'm in Bangkok and am always curiously checking out different ones.

As for luxury hotels. I stayed at the Four Seasons for years, before getting a serviced apartment. I love that hotel and the location. I still go there for some of my meals.

As for other 5 stars, I've also stayed at the Pen and the Oriental and personally I pick the Oriental over the Pen. Folks on this forum, however, are Pen fans.

As for other hotels, I loved the Metropolitan.
Mar 19th, 2009, 07:42 AM

Greetings 'O' - (and welcome to fodor's)

... now, luxury in Bangkok ... where to begin ...

(If you want luxury and sublime beauty before even arriving at a Bangkok hotel, one suggestion is to fly into BKK from Singapore, with those sensational Singapore Girls putting you in a most uplifting mood. Enjoy.)

Now, as for some of the hotels already mentioned, and some of my all-time cherished Bangkok business travel (and occasional pleasure) favourites:

Before meeting mrs. m: 1) Four Seasons, 2) Peninsula, 3) Shangri-La 'K' Wing, 4) Oriental. Reason: classified.

After meeting mrs. m: 1) Oriental, 2) Peninsula, 3) Four Seasons, 4) SL K Wing. Reason: Getting a bit sentimental these days, with the Oriental's wonderful GM 'Mr. K' soon stepping down. (And his superb staff did arrange for a rather special wedding ceremony / reception / brief honeymoon.)

Wherever you stay, savour your tender Thai times ... (and don't forget those late-night, in-room massage treatments) ...

macintosh (robert)

... "Mr. _, your guest has arrived. Shall I send her to your room?" ...