The Oriental Hotel in Bangkok??

Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

The Oriental Hotel in Bangkok??

Has anyone stayed at the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok? According to Expedia, it has been voted "one of the best hotels in the world" and is located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River. I've never been to Bangkok before...so is this a good location/nice hotel? I'd like to be in the center, near good restaurants, shopping, etc.
Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:39 PM

This forum has LOTS of posts about the Oriental vs the Penninsula hotels in Bangkok, both on the river. I think you will find that most folks here prefer the Penn.

I have personally stayed at both and do prefer the Penn. It's a good choice if you want to stay on the river. This location will show you the pulse of the city.

Shopping, for the most part, will be along the skytrain route, which you can access by way of water shuttle from either the Penn or the Oriental easily. If you have lOTS of packages, it's a bit unhandy to carry them on the skytrain back and then also stand and wait for a bit for a hotel boat to get you back to the proper hotel pier.

PS... the PENN has been rated higher than the Oriental in recent years...
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:52 PM

Really is a personal choice - the Oreintal has history in every nook and cranny, the authors lounge is evocative of graham greene sitting there penning a novel... the Pen which Simpson recos and recently people have preferred to the Oriental is more modern, perhaps a tad more comfortable. On this forum people generally reco river side locations in Bkk - u could also look at the Four Seasons who have a fab Bkk property if you are willing to consider non river side - great location for being in the center, shopping, etc.
Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:32 PM

I second the Four seasons. Happy Travels!
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:29 PM
dlh

We have also stayed at both the Pen and the Oriental and we, unquestionably, prefer the Oriental. I think it is just such a personal opinion which hotel you prefer. IMO for a first trip to Bangkok I would stay at one of the hotels on the river and the Oriental (or the Peninsula) is a fabulous place to start. This board is quite passionate about hotels in Bangkok as simpsonc510 mentioned so be sure to do a search on the hotels you are interested in staying at and you will find TONS of information about the Oriental and other Bangkok hotels. I haven't stayed at the FS Bangkok but I did wonder - is it the old Regent or is this a new Four Seasons -does anyone know? Have a great holiday lwinokur - you will love Bangkok!
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:37 PM

The Four Seasons in Bangkok was formerly known as the Regent.
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:45 PM
dlh

Thanks Kathie! The word "former" is so much more elegant than "old" and much more appropriate - apologies to all the FS/Regent fans! I was typing quickly and suffered brain freeze over the word "former". Also, apologies to Iwinokur for the digression from his thread. Happy travels! Let us know what you decide!
Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:54 PM

Yes, the Four Seasons was the Regent...The sign used to say The Regents...a Four Seasons Hotel... but the hotel is the same as far as high quality...I've noticed no changes. Happy Travels!
Sep 24th, 2004, 04:28 AM

Asking for a definitive best 5* hotel in Bangkok is a bit like saying which is the best car in the world - Ferrari, Bentley, Aston Martin or Maybach.

They each excel over the others in one particular way - but it's difficult to go wrong with any of them. Each have their fans and the odd detractor, but most will agree they deserve their place at the top.

It would be a lot harder question to ask "Is there a 5* hotel in Bangkok that I should avoid?" - I can't think of one.
Sep 24th, 2004, 05:32 AM

I much prefer the Oriental over the Penn. But they are very different. I found the Penn MUCH more modern in terms of all kind of high tech technology that I don't want or need (don't need 5 phones in one room for example and a tv in the bathroom). For those who like that it would be a good choice. I also found the Penn to have a more commercial, international deluxe feel and found the service superb but cold.I love the history, intimacy and warmth of the Oriental and love meeting the guests many of whom having been coming here for years. There are at least 30-50 staff members who were at the hotel when I first went in 1985 and are still there most in higher positions. They know me and I know them and it's a great feeling. I also think the location is better than the Penn.

Unless you want to spend all your time in malls, there are more than enough stores to satisfy your shopping needs and having breakfast on the verandah of the hotel is magical.

It also has 5 superb restaurants and a top rated spa.
Sep 24th, 2004, 08:11 PM

WHAT!... the pen has Tv's in the bathrooms.. and is hight tech well thats all I need too know sign me up as a new taut.

Sep 25th, 2004, 04:59 AM

I happen to love the TV recessed in the wall above the bathtub at the Penn. It's nice to soak and watch the news! I also enjoyed being checked in IN the room rather than at a counter in the lobby.

Isn't it great we live in a time when we have so many choices and opinions!!

I also like shopping, and prefer to visit places away from the river. I can't prove that prices are better when you get away from that area, but I found shops near the Oriental and Shangri-La to be very unexciting when compared to a place like, say, Mah Bon Krong (sp) or the Thai Craft Center.

As always, these are my own opinions and experiences.
Sep 26th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much everyone...i'll let you know when I make my decision. Your opinions are greatly appreciated!