Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Sukhothai -- how many days, possible to just walk, other advice?

Mar 18th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Hello! I'm planning a trip to Thailand with a friend (our second together), and Sukhothai is on the itinerary (since we were unable to go last time). Just a few questions:

1) how much time should i spend in Sukhothai to get a good appreciation of the place, but without feeling that I'm wasting time there? do i need to do a sun-up to sun-down? do i need more than just a day? or can i fly there on the afternoon of day 1 (arriving around 5 PM), spend the night, be at the ruins first thing the following morning, then leave for the airport at around 3:30 PM to catch the 5:15 PM flight back to bangkok? will that be enough, or is that too much of a rush?

2) is it possible to just walk around the Sukhothai ruins? i read that cars aren't ideal because they're too "distant" from the ruins... and unfortunately my friend doesn't know how to ride a bicycle, haha.

3) is si satchanalai-chaliang truly, truly worth an additional one hour of travel from sukhothai? (for perspective, i've already been to angkor, borobudur, and my son in vietnam)

4) should i choose a hotel in the old city (by the ruins) or the new city? my fear is that there'll be no places to eat if i choose to stay by the old city.

thanks!
paulo
Mar 18th, 2009, 06:37 AM

Paulo, if you click on my name next to this reply, you'll find my report on recent trip to Sukhothai. It might help answer a lot of your questions, but let me give some quick info here:

I think the one day idea would be way too rushed, and you probably would miss some of the better stuff. There is a morning flight five days a week, so I would suggest at least two nights. Of course, time also depends on how you answer question 2.

You can easily walk around the main ruins in the center of the old city. However, my personal favorite ruins were all outside the city - Wat Si Chum, Wat Saphan Hin and Wat Chetuphon. These would be difficult to get to easily on foot. You could rent a car and driver for the day, which isn't expensive. Around 3,000 Baht if I remember.

Personally, I thought Si Satchanalai was more impressive than Sukhothai, so I definitely wouldn't miss it. That said, neither one of these sites are as impressive as Angkor or Borobodur.

The last question I can answer unequivocally. Stay in the old city area, period. There are a lot of restaurants lining the main road between the park entrance and the city wall. Nothing fancy, but then you probably won't find much better in the new city.
Mar 18th, 2009, 06:47 AM

paulophonic,

I like Sukhothai and Sri Satchanalai very much but being Thai I'm a little prejudice! Here are some answers for your questions.

1/. One full day at Sukhothai should be plenty to cover most of the sites. If you go in the hotter months, like right now, it can be very hot and your time at the sites might be limited to your ability to handle hot and humid climate. The last time I was there, a few months ago, we did spend the night but that was because we were driving from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

2/. We used our car to drive around the sites and we were allowed to drive to most ruins and were left with only very short walks. As I said we are Thai and I was able to ask the guards where we could drive and park so that help a lot.

3/. Sri Satchanalia offer more complete ruins IMO and they are quite stunning. The drive is not too bad.

4/. We chose to stay by the ruins in a hotel call "Tharaburi" which was not that big but quite comfortable(3 - 4 stars). The hotel does have an ok restaurant but we ate at a big restaurant just down the road from there over looking the landscape of the ruins. Food were mostly Thai with some Western food mixed in the menu. If you choose to stay in Sukhothai town then it's about a 20 minutes drive to the ruins and there are quite a lot of restaurant choices in town with one very unique restaurant which look like the inside of Swiss Inn.

Be aware that Sukhothai airport is quite far from town or the ruins and it will take you around 30 minutes driving from the airport to town.

Here are some pictures from our last trip - choose the "Sukhothai and Sri Satchanalai" gallery.

http://khun-pook.smugmug.com/
Mar 18th, 2009, 07:01 AM

Here's a link to the Tharaburi hotel in case you're interested - http://www.tharaburiresort.com/index_EN.php
Mar 18th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

MichaelBKK: Yup, I had read your earlier trip report several times over before posting my questions -- just to make sure I wasn't asking anything that had already been asnswered, haha. Thanks for the advice!

Hanuman: Thanks too for the advice, and for the links! I loved going through your photos. I'd already seen the Tharaburi Resort website before, but getting advice from someone's who's actually stayed there is great.

From both your responses, I'm definitely staying by the ruins; and I would also want to see Si Satchanalai. Can Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai be completed in one day, if we start out really early and hire a car? Or, one afternoon and one full day?
Mar 18th, 2009, 06:05 PM

paulophonic,

You could do both places in a day by starting of with a early morning tour of Sukhothai and when it gets very hot you can take a lunch break and then drive to Sri Satchanalai.

Preferably I would do part of Sukhothai in the afternoon and then spend the night before returning again the next morning to tour the sites outside the old city wall. Then I would visit Sri Satchanalai in the afternoon.
Mar 18th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Hanuman,

This sounds PERFECT since i'll be arriving in sukhothai on the afternoon of day 1; spend the whole day of day 2 in sukhothai; and fly back to bangkok early morning on day 3. thanks!!

so with this option, i guess i can just walk around on day 1, and then hire a car on day 2 for the sites outside the city wall and sri satchanalai, right?
Mar 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM

Yes Paul that sounds about right. If you stay at the Tharaburi they do have bikes for guests to use or you can just rent one right at the gate of the historical park.

Have fun!
Mar 19th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Hanuman, I like your photos. Where is Amphawa mkt?
Mar 19th, 2009, 07:09 PM

twilight,

Amphawa is a weekend floating market that has become very popular with the local. Apart from the market itself there are cute shops and restaurants that lined the waterway. At dusk the whole place change into a hangout place and people normally stay until about 10 - 11.00 pm. One of the Thai princess has declared the market as a preservation area so no new buildings are allow I think. It will be a fun place for you to visit but be aware that there are not that many foreigners there.

Here's an article about the market from a local English newspaper:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/spec...mut-songkhram/