Narrowing down the Tokyo hotel choices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so we're booked at the ANA Intercontinental for the 1st two nights in Tokyo, but the question mark still exists for the last (and most important) stay for 4 nights at the end of our trip.

If the choices are (in groups):

PARK HYATT
PENINSULA
MANDARIN ORIENTAL

CERULEAN
CONRAD
STRINGS SHINAGAWA
FOUR SEASONS MARUNOUCHI

The first group are all ridiculously expensive and the second, just slightly ridiculously expensive. So are there pros and cons? Is staying at any of the top 3 THAT much better than the bottom 3?

What's really throwing me for a loop most is the idea of *location*. Seems everyone has their own 2 cents on where the "it" place to be is location-wise. But from all my research, it seems that no place is really "central"...at least in the typical sense. We really want a nice place to stay that's going to be memorable in its own right (but not stuffy/conservative) but also have quick access to explore the ENTIRE city. We'll be doing all our touring and, yes, shopping (!) in Tokyo during those 5 days.

This is the last piece of the lodging puzzle for our trip and then it's on to all the fun logistics questions.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 04:01 AM

For me, "location" in Tokyo has a couple of elements:

- Access to rail that I'll use during my stay (subway, JR Line and/or airport line)

- Appealing neighborhood, restaurants, and maybe shopping in the immediate area of the hotel

Of the places listed, the Four Seasons and the Cerulean (neither of which I've never stayed at, so can't evaluate further) would best fit my location criteria. PH isn't at all close to transportation, Conrad is on top of a subway station but is in a mostly stark/ugly neighborhood (except for the park in the back), Strings is a great little hotel but a deceptively long walk to the JR lines and the neighborhood is kind of meh.

A major omission from the list, in my mind, is the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi, which might be my new Tokyo favorite. Every bit the equal in service/comfort to most of the hotels listed, very short walk to 2 subway lines, and in the middle of Roppongi Hills shopping/restaurant area. Also, seems to be favorably priced compared other places. Slightly worse access to airports than others on the list (unless you take slow airport limobus); best way from Narita if you have luggage is NEx to Shinagawa, then a short taxi ride to hotel.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 07:16 AM

I've stayed at the Peninsula and the Conrad on your list. Loved the Peninsula. The Conrad not so much.

Peninsula location, excellent both in physical location and access to subways and Yamanote line. Airport limo bus was what my family members used to go too Narita because it's easier in terms of baggage handling. Rooms are the beat I've stayed in. We booked using a Virtuoso agent and for a rage that was equal to the hotel's cheapest online offering we also got breakfast, a ¥10,000 F & B credit and upgrade on arrival if available. We were upgraded from corner deluxe to executive suite. The spa is just as good as the one in Bangkok. They do offer special prices to lessen the shock. Plenty of shopping and dining in the area. Pool is gorgeous, too

Conrad, for it's slightly lower price is a much lesser hotel. I found it cstered well to businessmen and not so much to us. Service was quite poor. Location is not so bad, but the immediate area is boring. Rooms with views of the bay are nice to have but not special in any way, just typical Conrad rooms.

Your others. The FSM has a great location imo and is small with an almost boutique feeling. I have heard that the rooms are tired but how tired could a FS be? The cerulean is nicely located, too, but I just dont feel the hotel itself commands the prices they charge. Were I to stay there, i would want the corner room with windowed bath, and when I checked for us, that was more expensive than the Peninsula.

For me your other choices don't seem as good as the ones ive already mentioned. Park Hyatt and MO both lack good location IMO.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 12:44 PM

>>>If the choices are (in groups):<<<

(And may gently suggest group #3: Suites with those sensational Singapore Girls! Oh yes, beginning March '11, SQ A380s, LAX-NRT. Check it all out, over on that singapore.com - and current SIA promo for Tokyo Four Seasons property. Enjoy.)

Now, warm holiday greetings. Have stayed at all of two properties on your list: Park Hyatt (work) and Peninsula (budget busting leisure weekend with special companion.) (And, 'fwiw', the occasional business stay at the 'Rad' Narita - always clean and efficient and at times, most pleasing various airline female crew 'eye candy'. Our little secret.)

Now, between the Peninsula and Park Hyatt, would propose the former. (Nothing against the PH which I will always love.) One reason: saw you like the Peninsula, Bangkok. (Well, who wouldn't.) Something about that Peninsula 'DNA' that does it for me (and us) in BKK, HKG and NRT.

Happy holidays to all and wherever you stay, have fun and don't forget those Girls.

macintosh (robert)

... SIA -- All the Way ...
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 02:53 PM

(And why don't we make that ' singaporeair.com ' - and, SQTalk.com while at it! Deepest apologies. And, as always, no shameless SQ shilling from me.)

Savour your tender Tokyo times! (And don't forget those masseuses.)

robert

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, guys. This is great!

Mr. Macintosh, I was waiting for you to appear so I could share the news. You'll be pleased nonetheless to learn that we are indeed already booked on Singapore's A380 from NRT back to LAX in J. Sorry no suites for us, but beggers csn't be choosers. Waiting to see if I can score SQ all the way, but I'll take one leg if I can get it. Rather excited for our virginal (a word surely you're not acquainted with) Singapore experience.

I'm sure if I mention your name to those FAs I'll have a lot to live up to in terms of what's sure to be your rather salacious reputation.